Give them a break already!

the alumnus said:
don't opeth owe me? after all, i invested in that band. i bought a tshirt from them. not only did that put money in their pocket for them doing no work, it gave them free advertisement space (my chest).

also, i would guess that opeth don't work hard to make sure I have good music, but rather work to make music that luckily for them i think is good. it not altruistic at all.
Please say that was a joke post.

You buy a Tshirt from them and they owe YOU? That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard, also.."Free advertising space - your chest"?

Of course Opeth work hard, have you not read any of the studio diaries? I'm assuming you've never been in a band. It's hard work and it get's alot harder when you get into Opeth's situation. Just be thankful that they've made it allowing us to listen to their brilliance.

Are you also assuming that Opeth get all the money made on merchandise?

For the record I agree entirely with Triste on this, it's about time someone made a post about it.

People, I only said that Opeth is business due to their passiveness concerning MFN. Many bands release live dvds and are able to performe songs of when they were from a different label. If it's a problem of rights, ok, I'm pretty sure Opeth is selling well and MFN could pay for these rights. I know it's a product only to promote MFN's era. I know Opeth has a contract and must follow it. My complain is that Opeth could have said "...no, we want to play old material too...", they could have negociated but no, they said "...yes MFN, we will only play your catalogue...".

KennonKun said:
They have been on tour all year, but they haven't played many shows. Here are all the gigs they've played this year, not including the ten or so since the end of the Damnation tour. Here are 100, so... 110 shows, about, this year? That's not really all that many...QUOTE]

You know, thats one show every 3-4 days... do you have any idea how much work goes into setting up a show? Not to mention moving all their shit from one city/country to another. Its a hell of a lot of work in the end, done in a very reasonable amount of time.

Triste said:
This is something that I've been thinking about for quite a while but I finally decided to say something after reading that Opeth is business thread.

Opeth do not and never have owed anyone but themselves anything. They work really really hard and for people to continually scrutinize and criticize everything they do is unfair and shows how much disregard people have toward all the work Opeth does to make sure YOU can listen to good music. They've been on tour almost continually for over a year busting their asses. I'm just tired of people analyzing everything they do under a microscope and repeatedly saying how much this or that sucks...For the time being, this is their job and they have to make a living. If you don't like something that they do, keep it to yourself (and if you have to share, try to make the criticism constructive)! If you don't like something they put out, don't buy it! If you think you can do better, do it! But don't put them down. They deserve all the money and support they can get.

That is all.
Hi Triste!
Nice post. I could feel your frustration as I read it. I feel that way myself, especially reading this board, which has an incredible amount of negativity from their own fans. I've come to the conclusion, it's just a "board-thing". Don't let it bring ya down. It does me too at times, but mostly I just gotta ignore it. It's like some power-trip here, the veil of the internet allows people to say big shit without worries. Granted there are some cool fans on here too so don't get me wrong. I usually check the board on a daily basis, but generally speaking I can't relate to this new breed of "supporter". I don't like fighting in real life, why would I go for it on a board?? So, I don't bother posting much anymore. Anyway, it's not real here. What's real is the fans that show up for the gigs, long or short distance, supporting the band by telling a few friends to check em out, buying their merch, the ones who stay around in the freezing damn cold after the show...just to meet them, say hi, take a pic etc... THOSE are the people with a purchased cd in hand for an autograph. Those are my idea of fans. And I've met a lot of them. Overheard a lot of comments too, and never have I heard all this negative crap in personl. Most of their real fans are pretty damn cool actually!
Cheers. See you in San Fran next time..!

They've (Opeth) played more shows worldwide than that idiot listed this year..Opeth have played all over the world this year..Cut the crap, Opeth are not a commercial band, they are a CULT band..So get over it..

"Opeth owes me..." What a load of rubbish! As if you were giving money to beggars! Well, they are not beggars and they don't need your money. The problem is you're to selfish and egoist (which is aout the same) to admit you fucking like Opeth!! Admit it! When you bought an Opeth t-shirt, you did it because you liked it and at the moment you saw it, you felt like possessing it, egoist! When you buy CDs you do it in the hope you will like them, they will give you pleasure, you think of yourself only! or do you really think you belong to a charity kind enough to support a non-mainstream death metal band? C'mon, let's be more honest and less shit-headed.

Don't buy things you don't like. I didn't buy a tin edition. I think it's stupid and doesn't appeal to me... I don't go giving "alms." I'm too selfish!

deathbearer said:
They've (Opeth) played more shows worldwide than that idiot listed this year..Opeth have played all over the world this year..Cut the crap, Opeth are not a commercial band, they are a CULT band..So get over it..

mmmm.... cults

This post was prophetic in a way. Now one of the Martin's has had a nervous brakedown or something. To much touring and travel, end of discussion. No use in discussing someones bullshit on the internet. Ive been worried about Opeth's touring schedule for a while now. For one reason only. It will have a negative effect on their future NEW releases. Look what metallica has done since the black album excessive touring, they toured for almost 3 years for that album and now they are shit. Hell Elvis Presley basically toured himself to death.

icedsymphony said:
This post was prophetic in a way. Now one of the Martin's has had a nervous brakedown or something. To much touring and travel, end of discussion. No use in discussing someones bullshit on the internet. Ive been worried about Opeth's touring schedule for a while now. For one reason only. It will have a negative effect on their future NEW releases. Look what metallica has done since the black album excessive touring, they toured for almost 3 years for that album and now they are shit. Hell Elvis Presley basically toured himself to death.

i agree

opeth has pretty much had a show 1 out of every 3 nights of the previous year, and on top of that, there's the travelling involved, in store appearences they might make, writing new material, etc etc

i heard they like sleeping too, i can imagine they like to do that whenever they get the rare chance too.

let us PRAY that they don't tour themselves to shit like metallica... shit is an understatement for the current state of metallica, and we should hope it never happens to opeth

yep - people here have too much negative things to say. its like a bitch that never forgets the little mistakes you have done in the past and refuses to bring up all the positive things.

oh and to make Niel's "90% metalheads" statement even more realistic: "90% of all people are fucking stupid.

KielbasaSausage said:
yep - people here have too much negative things to say. its like a bitch that never forgets the little mistakes you have done in the past and refuses to bring up all the positive things.

oh and to make Niel's "90% metalheads" statement even more realistic: "90% of all people are fucking stupid.

hahaha, amen brother

I'm sorry, i didn't realise this board was for arse-lickers only. where do you suggest we go if we have something negative to say?

As a fan of Opeth, i have every right to voice my opinion on matters like the band sucking up to the label, Mikael being more interesed in working with his hero than making an opeth album for the people that pay his wages, why don't you give us a break.

and as for this "Opeth are the best band in existance, and there is noone that is better than them" attitude that MOST opeth fans i've come accross have had, and indeed quite a few posts in this thread hint at...you are morons. There are band out there that you will never even hear of that piss all over opeth. so grow up and have a wee look out the window, the world ain't all that big.

i'd swear some of you people only listened to opeth as far as metal goes, in fact i know people like that, i'ts just sad.

@ Kevy:
Dude. Get over yourself. Give you a break from what? Bitching and complaining?
Grow up? When you were 7 years old, I was already going to shows. And seeing bands that you've never even heard of nor will ever get a chance to see play.
Obviously, you're still sucking on your mom's tit if you think that some band who wouldn't even care if you bought anything from them owes you something. Sooner or later you'll learn that's not how the real world works. No one owes you shit.

Why is it that everytime someone praises them, they're seen as fanboys and "arselickers", but some jackass like you can be totally rude and feel like your attitude is totally warranted.

Anyway, it's not that anyone is criticizing them, it's the rude and obnoxious way in which it's done (case in point...your above post). See, there's this thing called constructive criticism and one of the rules of constructive criticism is "Get the facts straight. Make sure the criticism is warranted." You may want to remember that...

Rejvk said:
Please say that was a joke post.

You buy a Tshirt from them and they owe YOU? That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard, also.."Free advertising space - your chest"?

sounds like a quid pro quo agreement to me.
Of course Opeth work hard, have you not read any of the studio diaries? I'm assuming you've never been in a band. It's hard work and it get's alot harder when you get into Opeth's situation. Just be thankful that they've made it allowing us to listen to their brilliance.

Are you also assuming that Opeth get all the money made on merchandise?

For the record I agree entirely with Triste on this, it's about time someone made a post about it.
didn't i say that they work hard? i think i did. i also refuted their motives. are they working purely altruistically? are they going to the studio so a bunch of internet geeks will like them and their music? i doubt it. its more plausible that they make music for themselves.

the point about work was directed at merchandising t-shirts. how much does it cost per t-shirt for the band? 5 dollars? i'd say less. it certainly takes less work than making an album. you simply send your cover art to a t-shirt printing company, anyone can do that. they sell for all of 20 dollars. it seems like more of an investment in the band than anything else.

Demoke said:
"Opeth owes me..." What a load of rubbish! As if you were giving money to beggars! Well, they are not beggars and they don't need your money. The problem is you're to selfish and egoist (which is aout the same) to admit you fucking like Opeth!! Admit it! When you bought an Opeth t-shirt, you did it because you liked it and at the moment you saw it, you felt like possessing it, egoist! When you buy CDs you do it in the hope you will like them, they will give you pleasure, you think of yourself only! or do you really think you belong to a charity kind enough to support a non-mainstream death metal band? C'mon, let's be more honest and less shit-headed.

Don't buy things you don't like. I didn't buy a tin edition. I think it's stupid and doesn't appeal to me... I don't go giving "alms." I'm too selfish!

i don't understand how you came to these conclusions at all. i've observed that when people buy band t-shirts, they overwhelmingly do so because they like the band.
hypothetical scenario: let us say that opeth never existed. and you walk into sears and see a t-shirt with the cover art to blackwater park on it. would you pay 20 dollars for it?

opeth are a good band. unfortunately i fear they are going the way of sepultura, where i will be forced to conjugate my verb into "opeth were a good band". didn't opeth say that they would never put out an album without death metal growling? didn't opeth say they would never put out an album with crappy songs on it? how am i but a man who is calling opeth to live up to their own words. their putting out some suckass releases, and i feel i have the right to voice my opinion as to the direction they are taking, just as metallica fans from the 80's have a right to express their greivances with numetallica.