Give them a break already!

pac1288 said:
And one last thing a lot of you gotta stop being hypocritical and get off the anti-Opeth bandwagon I have noticed that many of you suffer from this syndrome, because you know what? ever since the Opeth off-topic was eliminated I've noticed a lot of change of opinion amongst many people due to the sudden loss of all the idiots that at one point used to talk shit because of the once Opeth devotee's constant praise, suddenly these Opeth converts(hypocrites)gained back there confidence due to the increasing absence of all the "trolls" and you now find them talking nicely when the subject comes to Opeth again, these people in my opinion are bunch of fucking trendy idiots that have no self respect and it really is quite sad.
Actually, I've been able to see both the pros and the cons of Opeth since the beginning, I could care less about the loss of the off-topic board.. it now means there's more on-topic posting where I can express my two-sided views.

And to Demoke there, off in his/her own fantasy world, not listening to anything that has been presented here: The arguement is not that they should start making what the fans want to hear, no.. that's too far widely an assorted category, the arguement was that as they continue to change and develop they will see further criticisms, as Mikael continues to contradict himself because of his broadening musical horizons (eg. 'we'll never make a soft album') there needs to be a level of understanding that fans will get pissed off with these things and then they'll speak up, instead of getting ON the bandwagon and sucking the proverbial cock.

The band has been criticised from the jump from Orchid to Morningrise... definately from Morningrise to MAYH etc. etc. And now is no different. D&D were a big leap for Opeth into new territory and it seems to be bringing them attention... and obviously some of the old fanbase aren't happy, first off, with the music of D&D themselves, and this attention that the band are getting because they feel the band are getting too caught up in doing what's best for them financially as opposed to musically (I don't necesarrily share this view, I'm just saying it's one people might hold).

Also, you wanted a list of shitty songs? Try all of Deliverance bar A Fair Judgement... try Dirge For November... you're so caught up in your fanboyness that you refuse to admit that someone can believe that Opeth have made at the very least one UNENJOYABLE song! It's really sad.

Let me say with this, I love Opeth... they are probably still my favourite band, and I love all their albums (well, maybe not Deliverance)... however they are changing and from what I've seen in D&D they seem to be changing to what I see to be the worse. I understand that Opeth are doing the music they wish to do and that they ARE staying true to themselves (albeit contradicting past statements), however that doesn't necesarrily mean that the new music will be enjoyable to myself or some other people who share similar taste in music.

I don't care about their financial situation and I don't care about their fame... I care however that there is a big possiblity now that they're famous and that there's potential for MFN to milk money off of them, Opeth are going to be compromised musically, perhaps not of their own volition, but the people who own them. We've seen this with the new DVD.. MFN exclusive material? Why? Mikael himself said it was a promotional thing. I'm not sure if this new idea about re-releasing the old albums in fucking tin cans was MFN's doing (as obviously the catalogue isn't theirs) but it just shows you what publishers/labels will do to milk more out of a dead cow (not in any way implying Opeth are a dead cow :lol:).

Hi Moonlapse,

It's true Mikael said he would never release a soft album. Now the thing is, that doesn't mean he can't do that under the name Opeth anymore. In fact he's done it. The idea was to release as a double CD together with Deliverance but it was here again MFN deciding it was better economically to release them apart. Mind you, Opeth worked with both of them in the same recording sessions and in the contract they count together under only one album. That doesn't mean they'll follow up with an album similar to D1 & D2. In fact I'm really in the hope that the new album is a darker, harder, heavier one.

So OK, the hands of the record label are actually there. I hope they don't influence the creative new stuff Opeth do, but they stay there releasing tins, dvds, live cd's, or whatever, which I don't think I'll be getting, will you?

As for Damnation, they were saying before hand it would be a soft album: why did you buy it, if you don't like this soft stuff? You don't know what you're buying when you buy stuff?

Shitty songs... Of course there're songs that I like more than others. In my opinion, when I say I think a song is good, I always talk personally; and in Opeth's case even Weakness, my personal least favourite, transmit me a kind of weird feeling right to my stomach which I'm not going to explain to you.

Yes, this is a good point for the band: they stay honest to themselves, and they play the music they want, with the producer they want and everything. They could be better? Probably yes, but would they be honest to themselves? Probably not.

Nevermind. There'll be people calling me fanboy, that I live in my own fantasy world... You know what? I don't fucking care. You should mind your business and worry about yourself and not so much about my musical taste, fanboyness, or immaturity. I may be cabagge-looking, but I'm not that green. lol!

pac1288 said:
yeah but this is an Opeth board right which obviously leans more towards Opeth appreciation with the acceptance of the occasional contradiction.
That acceptance never comes in by without bitching. Not the same with fanboyism ( which ultimately is just as bad as bad press, thats why the Opeth fan ( at least here ) has the fame of being elitist )

pac1288 said:
And one last thing a lot of you gotta stop being hypocritical and get off the anti-Opeth bandwagon I have noticed that many of you suffer from this syndrome, because you know what? ever since the Opeth off-topic was eliminated I've noticed a lot of change of opinion amongst many people due to the sudden loss of all the idiots that at one point used to talk shit because of the once Opeth devotee's constant praise, suddenly these Opeth converts(hypocrites)gained back there confidence due to the increasing absence of all the "trolls" and you now find them talking nicely when the subject comes to Opeth again, these people in my opinion are bunch of fucking trendy idiots that have no self respect and it really is quite sad.
Some of us love opeth but are in the other wagon, the anti-irracional-fanatism wagon.

Let's see. You buy a 20$ Opeth album and you don't like it. What do you do? You simply return it. Simple huh?

Of course everybody has their own opinion on Opeth, but the band DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT IT! Simple huh?

Moonlapse said:
Also, you wanted a list of shitty songs? Try all of Deliverance bar A Fair Judgement... try Dirge For November... you're so caught up in your fanboyness that you refuse to admit that someone can believe that Opeth have made at the very least one UNENJOYABLE song! It's really sad.

:).

Dude shut the fuck up you really need to get smacked. Didn't you read my other post you ignorant dumbass?

I never said that I'm not able to accept it when someone mentions an Opeth song that they believe is un-enjoyable, you really have to stop making assumptions, this kind of mentality is not going to take you anywhere.

I have one suggestion:get off that cock thats always penetrating your ass and read my other post and then get back to me.

Maybe for some people like myself Opeth has never put out a song they didn't like on some personal level. But if we do we are labeled fanboy for saying what we feel? I think one can only be called fanboy if they couldn't back up why they liked every song. I'm sure everyone who says they like em all means it. Are we hoping Opeth will read our posts and give us a medal?!? Oh look! I'm a fanboy of Nile too! Geez, why do bands make music that I have to like so much?

Demoke said:
The Alumnus said: "opeth are a good band. unfortunately i fear they are going the way of sepultura, where i will be forced to conjugate my verb into "opeth were a good band". didn't opeth say that they would never put out an album without death metal growling? didn't opeth say they would never put out an album with crappy songs on it? how am i but a man who is calling opeth to live up to their own words. their putting out some suckass releases, and i feel i have the right to voice my opinion as to the direction they are taking, just as metallica fans from the 80's have a right to express their greivances with numetallica."

OK, why don't you tell me just 2 crappy songs? We and Opeth, as people, are not RIVERS and so we have the ability to go back, round and change the way we're leading for a number of reasons. Haven't they said what they were going to release with Damnation? Another question is whether you like it or not. They've also said this album is something exclusive, they wanted to do a mellow album reflecting their 60's and 70's influences (from very long ago, actually from the times of Morningrise after they put out this masterpiece called To bid you farewell). As for Blackwater Park, if you want to include it in the list of new albums, I'm sorry I can't find a shitty song there at all, can anyone? As for Deliverance, I'm glad they try to do something new, whether they follow a certain direction or not. What are the crappy songs there? Have you really listened to Wreath, Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, Master's Apprentices, By the Pain I See in Others??????? I beg you take your time and listen to them, musically and lyrically, and then be brave and tell me Opeth are not a great band.

i liked every opeth release up to deliverance. deliverance had some really boring songs, like the title track, which was so repetitive that it gets frustrating to hear. if deliverance didn't have the word "opeth" on the front and side, i don't know if i would even own it. damnation i didn't enjoy at all. judging from opeth's past i would have enjoied a mellow album drawing similarities from classic 70's bands like rush, deep purple, black sabbath, zepplin, etc. all of those bands had very mellow moments. still, opeth don't have to release albums to please me stylistically, right?

what really gets under my skin is the live album/dvd. no songs from the first 4 albums will be featured on this album. how many other bands can get away with that? opeth have 1 mellow release out of seven, so half of the material from the new live album will be mellow/acoustic. i know a sub-par release when i see it. and this will poison the well for any future live albums, because how long will it be before they release a live album with old material on it? for now i'll settle for the bootlegs i have, because they are really good audio and video quality, with good direction (camera follows the solos and pans in on the instruments). its just a shame that opeth won't gather a profit from that, its some good work.

Triste said:
This is something that I've been thinking about for quite a while but I finally decided to say something after reading that Opeth is business thread.

Opeth do not and never have owed anyone but themselves anything. They work really really hard and for people to continually scrutinize and criticize everything they do is unfair and shows how much disregard people have toward all the work Opeth does to make sure YOU can listen to good music. They've been on tour almost continually for over a year busting their asses. I'm just tired of people analyzing everything they do under a microscope and repeatedly saying how much this or that sucks...For the time being, this is their job and they have to make a living. If you don't like something that they do, keep it to yourself (and if you have to share, try to make the criticism constructive)! If you don't like something they put out, don't buy it! If you think you can do better, do it! But don't put them down. They deserve all the money and support they can get.

That is all.
AMEN!!!

pac1288 said:
Dude shut the fuck up you really need to get smacked. Didn't you read my other post you ignorant dumbass?

I never said that I'm not able to accept it when someone mentions an Opeth song that they believe is un-enjoyable, you really have to stop making assumptions, this kind of mentality is not going to take you anywhere.

I have one suggestion:get off that cock thats always penetrating your ass and read my other post and then get back to me.
Actually that little fragment that you quoted wasn't aimed at you in the least, but thanks for showing your level of maturity. It's really helping get your point accross you know :lol:.

Moonlapse said:
Actually that little fragment that you quoted wasn't aimed at you in the least, but thanks for showing your level of maturity. It's really helping get your point accross you know :lol:.
You know you don't have to lie and throw what you said originally out of context, and so what if I made a few immature remarks I'm not really known for doing that anyway like some of you that totally indulge yourselves in such behaviour I just do it when I truly feel its nessesary for me to do so which is quite rare, so I think it was reasonable. nice try though bandwagon man.

The fragment that you originally quoted was intended solely for Demoke, and if you re-read his/her post, you will see a paragraph explicitly asking for someone to point out one 'bad' song that Opeth have made.

I don't know why you decided to twist this around and make it about yourself, but know this: I'm not throwing anything out of context... you're just rambling on about nothing in particular.

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM said:
Ehy Dreamlord... everytime i read your posts... you are bitching about something...
My posts in this thread:

"Have you ever criticized a band? I certainly hope not, because most, if not all, bands "work really really hard". If you have ever criticized any band, you are a hypocrite. Lame.

BTW, Opeth has said in interviews that they only rehearse the songs a few times and that they really don't work that hard at all. Read up, kid."

Where's the "bitching". I asked a question, made two statements, and then stated a fact.

"Barring your friends' bands, you've never, even remotely criticized a band? I find that hard to believe."

"Lots of bands write albums while on the road. This is not exclusive to Opeth."

"Whoopty-doo."

"Not one time did I make an assumption. I first asked a question, then I made two statements, then I stated a fact. No assumption to be found. "

"Why? Don't all bands?"

"That, kid, is an assumption, and quite false. If you would "get your facts straight", you'd know that I somewhat enjoy their first four albums."

"Giving a fair debate is constructive. Unless you'd like me to join the ranks of ass kissing fanboys."

Again, where's the "bitching"? I see some statements, facts, sarcasm, and questions.

"Of course there are bands out there "capable of such music." Whether they choose to actually record it is another matter. Opeth aren't the end-all-be-all of (supposed) "complex" music."

Just stating facts here.

"If stating fact makes me bitter and negative, so be it."

Whining? Didn't think so.

Go learn the meaning of the word, then we'll talk kid.

this thread has gotten ridiculous...i think you guys need to grow up...sure there are songs they have written i dont like..just about every band does..one of my favorite bands has an entire record i refuse to acknowledge because it was so bad..
i think you guys are getting too out of hand about something that doesnt really matter that much...fanboyism is bad when taken to this kind of extreme...

Bands are here for our enjoyment, either listen and like listening to it, or don't.
If you decide to buy merchandise from the band, ask yourself if you'll still like/love them after you pay money.