Give them a break already!

KevyCanavan said:
I'm sorry, i didn't realise this board was for arse-lickers only. where do you suggest we go if we have something negative to say?
The problem isn't really someone mentioning negative things here - it's new people like you who continuously make new threads about a topic that is already devoted to 56 other threads.

KevyCanavan said:
As a fan of Opeth, i have every right to voice my opinion on matters like the band sucking up to the label, Mikael being more interesed in working with his hero than making an opeth album for the people that pay his wages, why don't you give us a break.
you obviously have no idea how a band works, so I suggest you stop making yourself look like an idiot. Every band must suck up to the label because from day one, when the band signs that piece of paper, the label basically owns the band and everything about them. Where the hell do you think the main support comes from? Definately not the fans. If Opeth relied only on the money from the fans then they would definately be fucked. The LABEL raises them like a child, supports them, promotes them, uses their money to get them ahead. Of course, this is why most profits from FANS don't go to the band - but to the label.
Shirts, merchandise - are all ideas enforced by the label, not the band.

KevyCanavan said:
and as for this "Opeth are the best band in existance, and there is noone that is better than them" attitude that MOST opeth fans i've come accross have had, and indeed quite a few posts in this thread hint at...you are morons. There are band out there that you will never even hear of that piss all over opeth. so grow up and have a wee look out the window, the world ain't all that big.
I would definately have to disagree with you on this one. Bands that I havent heard of piss all over Opeth? Sorry, but im the kind of person that thinks that the general direction ALL bands are going into is shit. If you think about it, there hasn't been any great music for the past several decades.

KevyCanavan said:
i'd swear some of you people only listened to opeth as far as metal goes, in fact i know people like that, i'ts just sad.
share some of your favorite bands. If not, then continue sticking your thumb up your ass. :p

Hello everyone.

Yeah I don't know where this your-closeminded-if-you-listen-to-Opeth stuff is coming from. I've been listening to metal as long as I can remember to an array of bands. There is always going to be one band for everybody that they love above the rest which happens to be normal.

In the early 90's I used to love Carcass even though there were much better bands musically, Carcass just happen to hit the right notes for me and they were really catchy aswell they had like this "recreational" sound that I liked a lot but anyway thats another thing, the point is even though you admire a certain band it doesn't mean your close minded, I mean I have exposed myself to numerous death/black metal bands of all types even back in the 90's shit you guys should have seen my metal collection back in those days it was huge! but you know what? after all that exposure I've had I still feel Opeth has something that makes them better of course theres a few classic metal bands that I won't compare Opeth to because to me they stand alone, but generally speaking I do feel that Opeth is better than whats currently available in the metal world, and lets face it for a metal band that does not use keyboards and such except for the occasional effect there pretty damn original in terms of metal, you guys also have to realise that theres only so much you could do when a band consists of guitar,bass,drums, and vocals there really isn't to much to play with it almost feels like theres a limit but to me Opeth have managed to surpass that boundry it appears that there the only metal band going into fresher territory attaining only to the basic three instuments( guitar/bass/drums) and yes I do know that theres other bands trying new things by incorporating new sounds and such but for some reason at the end it just doesn't very appealing, its as if there attempting something distinct but they just don't know how to execute it properly. All I know that Opeth are my current "preferred" band and no metal band has topped them as of yet (in my personal opinion) of course this could change but it has yet to occur.

:cool:

You know, thats one show every 3 to 4 days... Do you have any idea how much work goes into setting up a show? Not to mention moving all their shit from one city/country to another. Its a hell of a lot of work in the end, done in a very reasonable amount of time.

I wasn't denying the work involved, I was simply pointing out the overstatement in the original post of this topic. Opeth hasn't played that many shows, compared to some other bands...

And to whoever said that Opeth owes them money because you're chest is advertising them... Grow up. When you buy the shirt, it's to proclaim that you're a fan, make another person who sees it and hasn't heard them curious, or just because you thought the design was cool, which would make you a poser, unless you're a fan who decided the shirt wouldn't be worth it unless it looked good, regardless of whether or not they're a band you favor. When you buy the shirt, you're acknowledging that some people will be interested in it, and investigate the band. If you think Opeth owes you money because you knowingly bought something that advertises, you're an idiot.

KennonKun said:
I wasn't denying the work involved, I was simply pointing out the overstatement in the original post of this topic. Opeth hasn't played that many shows, compared to some other bands...

And to whoever said Opeth owe them money because you're chest is advertising them... Grow up. When you buy the shirt, it's to proclaim that you're a fan, make another person who sees it and hasn't heard them curious, or just because you thought the design was cool, which would make you a poser, unless you're a fan who decided the shirt wouldn't be worth it unless it looked good, regardless of whether or not they're a band you favor. When you buy the shirt, you're acknowledging that some people will be interested in it, and investigate the band. If you think Opeth owes you money because you knowingly bought something that advertises, you're an idiot.

owes me money? when and where did i ever say that? some people...

Triste said:
Actually, I have critcized my friends' bands before I don't tell them that everything they do sucks at all. Far from it. Even if I don't necessarily like their music I try to find something in it that's good and I respect that they are even putting in the effort to make music. From personal experience, I do know how hard it is being in a band...and I've never even gone on tour.

And yes, Opeth do only rehearse for a few times but that doesn't negate that they've been on the road touring nonstop, not to mention recording two albums in the midst of it all. I actually have read every interview I can find and probably personally know them better than you.

So, get your facts straight before making assumptions. Kid.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument at all, but I do feel that they deserve considerably more recognition from their fans. Although, I do wonder Dreamlord, why you even bother coming to this board because you're one of the people who continually berates everything that they've done. Why do you even bother keeping up with a band that you don't like? Don't have anything more constructive to do?
He is right they deserve nothing. Im sick and tired of idiots and stupid whores like you giving me little lectures about respecting bands. I had a band and i am making a project by myself and i expect no respect for anyone at all, i expect only that people would listen to what i have to say musicwise, have a nice time at the show, and thats all. All other things are unnecessary. Musicians should work for the joy of music and nothing more, it does not matter what a little idiot bitches about he is free to do so, just as the band is free to ignore him and move on with their bussiness.

Besides everyone has the right to point anything about anyone, so shut the fuck up.

Mike said they have worked very hard on the last few albums and that the first ones were the easier ones. They don't rehearse much and I think that only contributes to their greatness. I feel that I owe them very much because they make music that changes my life. I would pay $50 for an Opeth album and many other albums from other bands because music is worth so much more to me then $$$. They don't ever have to tour as far as I care as long as they put out that excellent music. Mike does what he wants and doesn't care what we wanna hear so get over it. Seems like posting negative comments or saying listening to more music will lead you away from Opeth is a trend around here. I still explore the music world past and present and haven't found a band that makes me feel the same as Opeth. Sorry. Mike seems to be creating according to my mind's desire. I'm sorry if so many people feel that obscure no name bands past or present are what they need to give their opinions any value in a fucking forum. Grow up and realize that your opinions don't rule the world...well maybe the world of living in your mothers basement and picking apart people's posts on *once again* a fucking forum!! Should I start listing bands that I hope nobody has heard next to my posts so I can get some respect? Naw, I can do without. It's only a forum and one man's opinion.

Exactly and i dont see why should people keep their opinions to themselves when they are both negative and about the band. It is opeth discussion after all and arent we entitled to opinions?

@misan: the only thing that really confuses me is when people say shit and have nothing to back it up. take that kevy moron for example... what exactly is he arguing about? that there are so many bands that piss all over opeth? really? and then he runs away because he really cant prove this or list any bands.

KielbasaSausage said:
@misan: the only thing that really confuses me is when people say shit and have nothing to back it up. take that kevy moron for example... what exactly is he arguing about? that there are so many bands that piss all over opeth? really? and then he runs away because he really cant prove this or list any bands.
The same could be say about a lot of people that back opeth for no apparent reason other than being fanboys.

If we can tolerate fanboys, can we not tolerate trolls too?

Misanthrope said:
The same could be say about a lot of people that back opeth for no apparent reason other than being fanboys.

If we can tolerate fanboys, can we not tolerate trolls too?
yeah but this is an Opeth board right which obviously leans more towards Opeth appreciation with the acceptance of the occasional contradiction.

KevyCanavan said:
There are band out there that you will never even hear of that piss all over opeth.
Just out of curiosity (and I'm certainly not going to debate you on whatever you list), what bands do you consider to "piss all over" Opeth? (Aside from Emperor, apparently.)

You know what the funny thing is? if we were to behave like the majority of these so called trolls, this forum would be converted to an anti-Opeth board, seriously. Its really obvious what there ojective is they just want to cause trouble these are people that are not content with themselves and by attacking people that apparently appear to be happy( because lets be realistic, if you promote/praise a band it shows that you are feeling some form of self happiness) it helps alleviate this pain that they have within, because you know what I'll be truthful. I would never go to some other forum that consisted of devoted fans and start talking shit by rambling on about how much there stupid because of there persistant praise, that would be plain idiotic, it would be more practical for me not to post there at all.

NP: Opeth y que

pac1288 said:
You know what the funny thing is? if we were to behave like the majority of these so called trolls, this forum would be converted to an anti-Opeth board, seriously. Its really obvious what there ojective is they just want to cause trouble these are people that are not content with themselves and by attacking people that apparently appear to be happy( because lets be realistic, if you promote/praise a band it shows that you are feeling some form of self happiness) it helps alleviate this pain that they have within, because you know what I'll be truthful. I would never go to some other forum that consisted of devoted fans and start talking shit by rambling on about how much there stupid because of there persistant praise, that would be plain idiotic, it would be more practical for me not to post there at all.

NP: Opeth y que

good job!

It's my right to criticize a band. It's my right to be angered if I go spend $20 on a CD, only to find that the one song I heard is the only good one on the album. It just so happens Opeth will never be that to me.

Every artist knows what they are getting into. They know full well that their fan base will probably be small. They know "critics" will poke holes in them. Bands will receive 5-star ratings down to no stars. Every individual has their own taste in music, and no band can appeal to the masses, and the artists know this. All an artist can do is stay true to themselves.

The only thing on here that creates negativity and tension here is the unacceptance of the people themselves. Over the years here, while Opeth were still 'Fresh' it seems that this board was all about the nice homely atmosphere and everyone praising Opeth and that led to this huge elitism syndrome which alot of Opeth fans suffered from... now people are still feeling the fallout of that here because as we've seen in this thread the fanboys deem it totally unacceptable to point any kind of criticism against Opeth, calling it wrong and that the band doesn't owe us anything. As time wore on and people and the band changed it's natural, as has happened here, that alot of the fans have been alienated by the new material or that new people are speaking out for their dislike of Opeth. That's natural, there is nothing wrong with it, and it is totally irrelevant from the issue of the band 'owing' us anything. It's our right to criticize, after all WE ARE the ones paying $20-30 (AUD) for the band's work, so obviously the only expectation in that sense is that we find the music enjoyable.

First and foremost as metalman said, all the band can do is stay true to themselves, and so be it if Opeth have done that over the years, but they can't expect to continually change and not expect any criticisms against them whatsoever...a thing that the people here have yet to learn. As soon as the band starts selling records and gigging, the obligation is first and foremost to the band itself but you have to think.. it's the fans that make the band. If we didn't buy Opeth's albums they'd be fucking bums... the band don't exist without the support, and in that sense, when the band starts to become a business, they start having an obligation to the fans to at least make quality music, or continue staying true to themselves. We are the ones that pay our money to buy their albums, we are the ones that pay our money to see them every year when they tour, so that gives us a right, to at the very least voice our concern if we don't deem the band enjoyable anymore.

If this has seemed like a post full of ramblings, then I'm sorry, but what I want to say to all you people is that, if someone is throwing a criticism against your favourite band on here, that doesn't give you a right to preach your shit onto them and tell them they have no right. They have as much right as you to voice their opinion on here, as it is after all, a DISCUSSION board, and we wouldn't have very interesting discussions with singular opinions now would we?

Moonlapse said:
The only thing on here that creates negativity and tension here is the unacceptance of the people themselves. Over the years here, while Opeth were still 'Fresh' it seems that this board was all about the nice homely atmosphere and everyone praising Opeth and that led to this huge elitism syndrome which alot of Opeth fans suffered from... now people are still feeling the fallout of that here because as we've seen in this thread the fanboys deem it totally unacceptable to point any kind of criticism against Opeth, calling it wrong and that the band doesn't owe us anything. As time wore on and people and the band changed it's natural, as has happened here, that alot of the fans have been alienated by the new material or that new people are speaking out for their dislike of Opeth. That's natural, there is nothing wrong with it, and it is totally irrelevant from the issue of the band 'owing' us anything. It's our right to criticize, after all WE ARE the ones paying $20-30 (AUD) for the band's work, so obviously the only expectation in that sense is that we find the music enjoyable.

First and foremost as metalman said, all the band can do is stay true to themselves, and so be it if Opeth have done that over the years, but they can't expect to continually change and not expect any criticisms against them whatsoever...a thing that the people here have yet to learn. As soon as the band starts selling records and gigging, the obligation is first and foremost to the band itself but you have to think.. it's the fans that make the band. If we didn't buy Opeth's albums they'd be fucking bums... the band don't exist without the support, and in that sense, when the band starts to become a business, they start having an obligation to the fans to at least make quality music, or continue staying true to themselves. We are the ones that pay our money to buy their albums, we are the ones that pay our money to see them every year when they tour, so that gives us a right, to at the very least voice our concern if we don't deem the band enjoyable anymore.

If this has seemed like a post full of ramblings, then I'm sorry, but what I want to say to all you people is that, if someone is throwing a criticism against your favourite band on here, that doesn't give you a right to preach your shit onto them and tell them they have no right. They have as much right as you to voice their opinion on here, as it is after all, a DISCUSSION board, and we wouldn't have very interesting discussions with singular opinions now would we?
Yeeeaaaah man, who said you can't criticise the band? Nobody as far as I'm concerned, damn some of you are really fucking hard headed I swear man havn't you read the numerous posts, what me and other people are referring to are the ones that come in here exclusively to reduce the band to nothing thats where I'm putting my emphasis on not the ones that criticise the band costructively and with some form of respect towards the message board.

Its really quite simple, if you find your self losing interst in a band then why would you continue posting on there message board? fuck I know I wouldn't. I would just stop posting period, it would be as simple as that.

Shit go ahead criticise knock your self out but at least do it with some form of dignity towards what the majority here favor, I know I would.

As far as the band needing "us" the fans I don't see it that way at all. If they stopped recording due to no record deals from low sales I'd feel bad but know they were true to themselves to the very end. If they do what they want and it doesn't work out, fuck it. They did it for the music and nothing more. Which is ultimately what its all about. Not record sales selling merch or selling out tour dates. While they would love to make $$$ doing what they love if it all just dropped out from under them I'm sure Mike would carry on his love for music in some way or another. I think we are just lucky enough to have a chance to waste our $$$ on something worth a damn. Because the mighty dollar or euro or w/e isnt shit unless you live a life of material bullshit. I live it for truth and emotion and if $$$ can help me go towards it so be it. I don't feel I have the right to say shit about Opeth because THEY create music that touches so many people much deeper then their pocket books. I can't imagine my life without music so I would never say shit to the ones that make me so happy. Maybe I like music just a little too much but I don't feel its in our place to reduce music to some kind of marketplace. Where money is traded for services etc. As far as original fans go. Fuck all of you who are hostile towards new fans. If your under 24 how would you like it if someone talk shit to you because you werent there to pick up Rush's first albums? Or there for Floyd's awesome shows? Or Mahavishnu's birth? Sad.

And one last thing a lot of you gotta stop being hypocritical and get off the anti-Opeth bandwagon I have noticed that many of you suffer from this syndrome, because you know what? ever since the Opeth off-topic was eliminated I've noticed a lot of change of opinion amongst many people due to the sudden loss of all the idiots that at one point used to talk shit because of the once Opeth devotee's constant praise, suddenly these Opeth converts(hypocrites)gained back there confidence due to the increasing absence of all the "trolls" and you now find them talking nicely when the subject comes to Opeth again, these people in my opinion are bunch of fucking trendy idiots that have no self respect and it really is quite sad.

The Alumnus said: "opeth are a good band. unfortunately i fear they are going the way of sepultura, where i will be forced to conjugate my verb into "opeth were a good band". didn't opeth say that they would never put out an album without death metal growling? didn't opeth say they would never put out an album with crappy songs on it? how am i but a man who is calling opeth to live up to their own words. their putting out some suckass releases, and i feel i have the right to voice my opinion as to the direction they are taking, just as metallica fans from the 80's have a right to express their greivances with numetallica."

OK, why don't you tell me just 2 crappy songs? We and Opeth, as people, are not RIVERS and so we have the ability to go back, round and change the way we're leading for a number of reasons. Haven't they said what they were going to release with Damnation? Another question is whether you like it or not. They've also said this album is something exclusive, they wanted to do a mellow album reflecting their 60's and 70's influences (from very long ago, actually from the times of Morningrise after they put out this masterpiece called To bid you farewell). As for Blackwater Park, if you want to include it in the list of new albums, I'm sorry I can't find a shitty song there at all, can anyone? As for Deliverance, I'm glad they try to do something new, whether they follow a certain direction or not. What are the crappy songs there? Have you really listened to Wreath, Deliverance, A Fair Judgement, Master's Apprentices, By the Pain I See in Others??????? I beg you take your time and listen to them, musically and lyrically, and then be brave and tell me Opeth are not a great band.

Music business is business to begin with. It seems as if by having more than 200 people attending a show, releasing tin editions, dvd and shit like that, then Opeth are selling out and they once were a good band, when this is something only company records are managing, like someone said before in this thread. Now as there're more people interested in them than in their beginnings (mind you, after 7 albums!!!), then we attack them why? Because they're playing the music they want to?

They have said it openly: we play for ourselves! And we're glad some people like what we do, too! Ultimately, they are the owners and the only ones that should influence their music. The makers should be making their offspring according to their liking.

They would become shitty predictable if they started doing what the fans want because they pay the money for a CD... what an argument!

You already have got an Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, SL... Enjoy them as each one is UNIQUE (be glad that all their albums are) and stop saying what they should now do or not. I hope Opeth listen only to themselves!