GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1994

They're about equally metallic. 90s Soundgarden was heavily influenced by King's X anyways.

Surprised how many classic norwegian albums ended up on my list, but most are just too good. ;)

1. Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens (top 5-10 album ever so...)
2. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
3. Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
4. Graveland - The Celtic Winter
5. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
6. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
7. Solstice - Lamentations
8. Strid - Strid
9. Unholy - The Second Ring of Power
10. In Flames - Subterranean

HMs
Infernum - ...Taur-Nu-Fuin...(really close to making my top 10, may change my mind)
Stratovarius - Dreamspace
The Black - The Priest of Satan
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
In Flames - Lunar Strain
Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour
Arcturus - Constellation
Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher
A Canorous Quintet - Of Tears
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Vlad Tepes - War Funeral March
Bathory - Requiem

Last edited:
Ridiculously good year and much like '98, an especially strong year for doom/sludge.

Godflesh - Selfless
Unholy - The Second Ring of Power
Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
Psychotic Waltz - Mosquito
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene
Grief - Come to Grief
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Buzzoven - Sore
Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance

Honorable mentions:

Melvins - Stoner Witch
Rollins Band - Weight
Danzig - 4p
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Penance - Parallel Corners
Unorthodox - Balance of Power
Pentagram - Be Forewarned

Last edited:
If I could find a copy of Mystic Places of Dawn it would most likely have made my top 10. I know I could just go online but shipping to Australia is lame.

Merciless - Unbound

Thank GOD for this album. The year was 1994 and thrash had just been dealt a fatal blow, while trad metal’s corpse continued to wither away into nothingness. Most bands succumbed, but not Merciless. Proving the infinite viability and creative potential of death metal, they shed their old skin and pioneered entirely new ground with this forgotten masterpiece. This is just so amazing I can’t even believe it. You’ve got…

1. Melodies straight out of Omen’s Battle Cry
2. Rhythms straight out of The Spectre Within
3. Folksy Running Wild jigs up the ass
4. All your favorite chord progressions from Coma of Souls and Heartwork
5. All your favorite rasps from those albums too

I mean, what bands before Merciless were doing those things? Name just one. Let’s be honest folks. There’s no point in listening to anything that isn’t death metal, because death metal does it all. Thrashers, pack it in. Grandpa trad, retire. This album is the perfect representative of a new era of extreme metal art. It is literally impossible to exaggerate the perfection found within this CD. Death metal will never die.

Thank GOD for this album. The year was 1994 and thrash had just been dealt a fatal blow, while trad metal’s corpse continued to wither away into nothingness. Most bands succumbed, but not Merciless. Proving the infinite viability and creative potential of death metal, they shed their old skin and pioneered entirely new ground with this forgotten masterpiece. This is just so amazing I can’t even believe it. You’ve got…

I mean, what bands before Merciless were doing those things? Name just one. Let’s be honest folks. There’s no point in listening to anything that isn’t death metal, because death metal does it all. Thrashers, pack it in. Grandpa trad, retire. This album is the perfect representative of a new era of extreme metal art. It is literally impossible to exaggerate the perfection found within this CD. Death metal will never die.

giphy.gif

nice write up man, will make sure to listen to it a few more times before the deadline

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal

is this copypasta?

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Hvis Lyset Tar Oss would have topped my list easily a few years back. Now it’s such an infrequent listen I don’t think I can justify putting it at the top spot.

1.Allegiance - D.e.s.t.i.t.u.t.i.o.n
2.Megadeth - Youthanasia
3.Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
4.Pride & Glory - Pride & Glory
5.Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal For Life
6.Armoured Angel - Mysterium
7.Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
8.Skyclad - Prince Of The Poverty Line
9.Corrosion Of Conformity - Deliverance
10.Mortification - Blood World

HM
The Obsessed - The Church Within
Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory
Rollins Band - Weight
Helloween - Master Of The Rings
Slayer - Divine Intervention
Obituary - World Demise
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso

Reactions: Sirjack and Bloopy

It really is a shit album though.

The no. 1 was really easy for me, and I'm also quite sure I'll leave no. 2 as it is, whereas the rest is still subject to possible changes.

I'd also like to know if Power's "Justice of Fire" is allowed. RYM lists it as a 1995-release, whereas Metal Archives says it's from 1994 and I know both can be wrong. Discogs says 1995, but that's for the Japanese release, whereas the Rock The Nation-release which I have got was allegedly released in 1996 which is completely wrong, because I bought my copy already in early February 1995. As the album was mixed and recorded from June to August 1994, a release already in 1994 doesn't seem completely unlikely.

1. The 3rd and the Mortal - Tears Laid in Earth
2. Mother Earth - Transitions
3. Soul Cages - Soul Cages
4. Mekong Delta - Visions Fugitives
5. Fear of God - Toxic Voodoo
6. Psychotic Waltz - Mosquito
7. Power - Justice of Fire
8. Dream Theater - Awake
9. Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour
10. Veni Domine - Material Sanctuary

I haven't listened to the last three albums for two decades or even more. Overall, it was a rather weak year for me, except for the no.1.