GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2005

1. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
2. Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
3. Trivium - Ascendancy
4. Children of Bodom - Are You Dead yet?
5. Devildriver - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand
6. cky - An Answer Can Be Found
7. Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star Iv
8. Cryptopsy - Once Was Not
9. Bruce Dickinson - A Tyranny of Souls
10. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

I can see people arguing cky and C&C don't belong on a metal list but fuck it. Definitely kind of a weak year.

I don't object to their inclusion, but is there really such a dearth of metal albums to resort to adding non-metal to fill out your list? This ain't 1981.

There's no shortage of whatsoever of good metal. There's no gainsaying this, although I can understand why people wouldn't want to do the amount of homework I'm doing. Separating the great from the merely good is a daunting task when there's this much worthy stuff.

Brief impressions:

Keeping the Blade: non-metal intro piece
Always & Never: acoustic song
Welcome Home: chuggy, lightly-progressive-mostly-alternative rock/metal, sounds like a cross between Kashmir and The Real Thing
Ten Speed (of God's Blood & Burial): don't know what this is but it's not metal
Crossing the Frame: sounds like they covered some kind of 80s Peter Gabriel riff and added a pop-punk chorus
The Writing Writer: I guess this could have been a really light prog metal band's song, though it's not the kind of thing most people would identify as metallic without aided context
Once Upon Your Dead Body: alternative rock, whatever influenced post-1993 Thought Industry probably influenced this
Wake Up: ballad

Welcome Home was the closest thing to metal and wasn't really. If I skipped around too quickly, please point out specific moments more metallic than the near-entirety of songs like BYOB, Cigaro, or Revenga. fwiw I can see the argument that Hypnotize overall isn't metal if going by a song-by-song basis, but at least they've written full metal songs.

Nah just not very strategic to blow 45 points worth of votes, a good alt would know that.

Except half the albums on his list are going to be on mine. Please shut the fuck up. I don't know how Devildriver is less metal than all the fucking dungeonsynth people like here. Please explain it to me, o wise Krow.

Not your best material tbh

He meant xhirhentai.

Last edited:
Brief impressions:

Keeping the Blade: non-metal intro piece
Always & Never: acoustic song
Welcome Home: chuggy, lightly-progressive-mostly-alternative rock/metal, sounds like a cross between Kashmir and The Real Thing
Ten Speed (of God's Blood & Burial): don't know what this is but it's not metal
Crossing the Frame: sounds like they covered some kind of 80s Peter Gabriel riff and added a pop-punk chorus
The Writing Writer: I guess this could have been a really light prog metal band's song, though it's not the kind of thing most people would identify as metallic without aided context
Once Upon Your Dead Body: alternative rock, whatever influenced post-1993 Thought Industry probably influenced this
Wake Up: ballad

Welcome Home was the closest thing to metal and wasn't really. If I skipped around too quickly, please point out specific moments more metallic than the near-entirety of songs like BYOB, Cigaro, or Revenga. fwiw I can see the argument that Hypnotize overall isn't metal if going by a song-by-song basis, but at least they've written full metal songs.

Distortion and yelling = metal - unless Coheed does it. Acoustic is not metal unless any number of other metal bands do it. Got it.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Distortion and yelling = metal - unless Coheed does it. Acoustic is not metal unless any number of other metal bands do it. Got it.

Distortion and yelling brings to mind hardcore before it ever brings up metal

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, that Coheed album is great, just not metal