GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2005

People who don't like dungeon synth obviously haven't heard Shevalreq yet.

This is definitely top 3 material for the 2007 Poll.

Distortion and yelling = metal - unless Coheed does it. Acoustic is not metal unless any number of other metal bands do it. Got it.

It's not just distortion and yelling, those SOAD songs have actual heavy and thrash metal riffs. Those Coheed songs have largely alt rock, funk-y, and/or punk riffs.

And yes, acoustic metal is more or less contradictory. Metal bands can use acoustic instruments or perform acoustic pieces, but those songs are pretty much never metal songs.

HBB has had weirder ideas about genres. Frankly I'm not shocked.

Coroner's RIP is far closer to traditional/power metal than Coheed & Cambria is to any kind of metal. My ideas are quite simple; metal is defined by its riffs, sub-genres of metal are defined by the preponderance of specific metal riffs in excess over other metal riffs. I wouldn't have an issue with people calling RIP a thrash album if they also called Omen's Battle Cry or about half of The Spectre Within/Awaken the Guardian thrash metal (the latter something people actually did back circa 1986). All I demand is consistency in genre labeling.

Riffs
Atmosphere
Distortion
Drumming proficiency and style (imo as you don't find many people of an extreme metal drummer's skill in other genres)

imo that is what defines what metal is

Riffs
Atmosphere
Distortion
Drumming proficiency and style (imo as you don't find many people of an extreme metal drummer's skill in other genres)

imo that is what defines what metal is

Not specific enough, what makes metal riffs different from rock riffs? What kind of atmosphere? Rock and Punk have distortion. I agree on the drumming but 'style' is vague

It's pretty impossible to define metal imo since it has branched out into so many subgenres with diverse sounds

I acknowledged from the getgo people would disagree with cky and C&C being metal, and I can see why. HBB just doesn't have any standing to do so when he put SOAD in the top 10 of anything (besides his genre autism).

I acknowledged from the getgo people would disagree with cky and C&C being metal, and I can see why. HBB just doesn't have any standing to do so when he put SOAD in the top 10 of anything (besides his genre autism).

I already gave you my case you disingenuous cunt. You're too egotistic or too deaf to hear the difference in riffing between the SOAD songs I named and any of the C&C songs you named.

Not specific enough, what makes metal riffs different from rock riffs? What kind of atmosphere? Rock and Punk have distortion. I agree on the drumming but 'style' is vague

It's pretty impossible to define metal imo since it has branched out into so many subgenres with diverse sounds

Metal riffs are distorted rock riffs which found prominence in the 70s under bands commonly referred to as metal. Riffs used frequently in rock but not in metal are not metal riffs because they were not originally used in metal music. Metal riffs not originally seen in metal but later-so can be metal if derived from earlier metal riffs, by rules of basic phylogeny. That may be circular reasoning, but most labels are inherently so; a label is not a thing except as a label. A person is left-wing or right-wing today simply because 200 years ago members of the House of Commons happened to congregate on one particular side of the room according to common political views they shared; totally arbitrary, but still valid.

EDIT: French Assembly actually apparently, not the House of Commons