GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2017

7) Terrestrial Mutations by Droid*
Head to the bunkers...

a0619199993_10.jpg

"To me it sounds like progressive rock/metal by way of Nothingface with a warmer production." - @CASSETTEISGOD

"I'm listening now and this is essentially Voivod light." - @The Ozzman

"There's very little thrash on the album btw. Has at least as much in common with noise rock and post-hardcore as it does thrash, probably more. At its thrashiest it could be compared to Dimension Hatross, which itself is maybe 25% thrash if being generous, and a lot of it sounds like a less repetitious/jam-oriented and more prog-structured form of what Japanese bands like Doom and 88Kasyo Junrei have done." - @HamburgerBoy

"Lmfao, I literally listened to that album three time just to make sure that you were being the stupid faggot edge lord that you're trying be in the comment section there by saying you barely hear any thrash on that album. Now its all clear to me." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
TechnicalBarbarity (#2)*
CASSETTEISGOD (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
Baroque (#4)
HamburgerBoy (#5)

TOTAL POINTS: 31

*late entry from tech barb means droid moved to 4th with 40 points.

Last edited:
6) Atonement by Immolation*
Millions of corpses paving the way...

1000x1000.jpg

"I thought Atonement was a bounce back from Kingdom. Man, that was awful." - @Krow

"Atonement is great, guys. Every song is great." - @EspaDa

"Personally, I also thought Atonement was a solid return to form for them after the shitty misstep that was Kingdom." - @morguelord

"Made it halfway before turning it off honestly. It's definitely not bad, they've obviously never released a bad album imo, their formula is too strong, but a whopping letdown by comparison to their other stuff." - @CASSETTEISGOD

"After listening to their last few albums again, i think im gonna have to bump up Atonement and Majesty and Decay above Close to a World Below." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
zerostatic (#1)
Victim of Deception (#2)
EspaDa (#3)
crimsonfloyd (#9)
Anom@nder Rake (#9)
-CyanideChrist- (#9)
Atomic Tide (#10)
TechnicalBarbarity (#10)*

TOTAL POINTS: 34

*late entry from tech barb means immolation gains 1 point to total 35, but drops one place to =7th.

Last edited:
@no country for old wainds hey man i hate to ask, but any chance we can add my list since were only at #7? I felt like i definitely needed to check out a few more albums(and i still do tbh). But i would understand if its a hassle to do.

Anyway here's my revised list. Pretty much the same thing but i dropped Origin and Gorod(easy since its an EP) for Bestial Invasion and Tomb Mold.

1 - Warbringer - Woe to the Vanquished
2 - Droid - Terrestrial Mutations
3 - Vexovoid - Call of the Starforger
4 - Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
5 - Inanimate Existence - Underneath a Melting Sky
6 - Bestial Invasion - Contra Omnes
7 - Tomb Mold - Primordial Malignity
8 - Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy
9 - Suffocation - ...Of the Dark Light
10 - Immolation - Atonement

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG and Omni
To be honest, I'd be in favor of letting TB in because it would be more consistent since a bunch of other guys came in at the eleventh hour with lists. That's not very in-crowd of me, I know, but it seems fair since he had posted a list early on.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
so many extensions and it still wasn't enough lol. that's fine as long as you don't expect me to start the countdown from scratch ;) i've edited the entries to clarify the new totals/places; after tech's list we now have...

=7) immolation - atonement 35
=7) warbringer - woe to the vanquished 35
9) ne obliviscaris - urn 28
10) bestial invasion - contra omnes 27

with bestial invasion being a new entry and obituary being the casualty. i'll carry on from six.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
6) We Will Be Watching... by Wampyrinacht
Δεν υπάρχουν διαθέσιμοι στίχοι

a1693470863_10.jpg

"This is one of those sleeper albums. The band recorded it between 2000 and 2002, but it was completely unreleased until this year. The album is full of great black metal in the classic Greek style, featuring epic riffs and beautiful use of keyboards. "Under the Ruined Bridge" is the best song, but the whole thing is quite good." - @Omni

"I was just listening to @no country for old wainds's link in the 2017 Top 10 thread and I was just completely enveloped by the track." - @CASSETTEISGOD

"Seen this on quite a few lists in the 2017 thread and yeah this rules." - @Phylactery

"Definitely some of the best black metal of this decade." - @Talos of Atmora

Chosen by:
no country for old wainds (#1)
Omni (#2)
Slayed Necros (#5)

rms (#7)
Talos of Atmora (#8)
Manic Ferocity (N/A)

TOTAL POINTS: 37.5

5) Primordial Malignity by Tomb Mold

a0329422211_10.jpg

"Just got the new albums from Tomb Mold and Contaminated in the mail today, talk about some filthy, rotting death fucking metal." - @morguelord

"This album strikes a good balance between Finnish and American death metal influences. The level of brutality and weirdness is just right for me. The fact that Bloodborne is a clear influence on the band is also of interest." - @Omni

":kickass: that one track you showed me was amazing." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
Dazed and Brutal (#1)
Omni (#4)
Atomic Tide (#7)
Funerary_Doom (#7)
TechnicalBarbarity (#7)
Slayed Necros (#9)
Jimmy... Dead. (#9)
Manic Ferocity (N/A)

TOTAL POINTS: 38.5