GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2017

4) Terrestrial Mutations by Droid*
Head to the bunkers...

a0619199993_10.jpg

"To me it sounds like progressive rock/metal by way of Nothingface with a warmer production." - @CASSETTEISGOD

"I'm listening now and this is essentially Voivod light." - @The Ozzman

"There's very little thrash on the album btw. Has at least as much in common with noise rock and post-hardcore as it does thrash, probably more. At its thrashiest it could be compared to Dimension Hatross, which itself is maybe 25% thrash if being generous, and a lot of it sounds like a less repetitious/jam-oriented and more prog-structured form of what Japanese bands like Doom and 88Kasyo Junrei have done." - @HamburgerBoy

"Lmfao, I literally listened to that album three time just to make sure that you were being the stupid faggot edge lord that you're trying be in the comment section there by saying you barely hear any thrash on that album. Now its all clear to me." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
TechnicalBarbarity (#2)
CASSETTEISGOD (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
Baroque (#4)
HamburgerBoy (#5)

TOTAL POINTS: 40

*originally 7th before TB's late entry

Reactions: CiG
3) The Room of Shadows by Pagan Altar
One by one they dance out of the night, out of life and out of sight...

a3612149361_10.jpg

"Isn't Pagan Altar that lame hoax band who pretends to be from the 70s/80s?" - @Vilden

"A true swan song. "After Forever" might be the best Pagan Altar "song" with it's simplicity. This is without a doubt the best thing I've heard all year." - @Master_Yoda77

"Touches my crusty heart." - @Krow

Chosen by:
Master_Yoda77 (#1)
Krow (#2)
Anom@nder Rake (#4)
CASSETTEISGOD (#5)
Funerary_Doom (#5)

Bloopy (#10)
rms (#10)
Manic Ferocity (N/A)
TOTAL POINTS: 45.5

2) Nightmare Logic by Power Trip
Blessed with a reaper’s touch...

a3318108490_10.jpg

"the new Power Trip is fucking amazing. zero posturing" - @Dazed and Brutal

"That album will rip your face completely the fuck off." - @Krow

"They're so fucking great live, pure fucking energy. Go and see them if you have an opportunity to do that. Future of thrash metal." - @EspaDa

"That Power Trip album is good, but not as great as some others are making it out to be." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Power Trip beat the fucking pants off every thrash and trad album this year." - @Dak

Chosen by:
Dak (#1)
EspaDa (#1)
HamburgerBoy (#2)
The Ozzman (#2)
Slammed (#3)
zerostatic (#4)

Dazed and Brutal (#7)
-CyanideChrist- (#8)
TOTAL POINTS: 60

1)
Nordkarpatenland by Malokarpatan
Devils playing whist with poor souls at stake...

a3204502578_10.jpg

"Mercyful Fate inspired back metal. Some Pagan Altar and Candlemass thrown in too. Crazy folk bits, weird folk stories in a weird ass language. This is easily the coolest black metal album I've heard this year. I liked their first album but this is awesome." - @Krow

"The band's main influences are Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape, Root and Mercyful Fate. It shouldn't really be that shocking that they have actually good riffs since all of those bands do." - @Omni

"I'm honestly not as huge on the Malokarpatan as I expected (sorry Omni)." - @Slayed Necros

"great cover art, lyrics, samples, that wild first couple mins, sixth track... the rest is just solid to me" - @no country for old wainds

"This album just rules so much. Love the style." - @Funerary_Doom

"Never heard of these guys before but pretty fuckin sweet so far, they know how to write riffs." - @HamburgerBoy

"Malokarpatan sounds like a Pokémon." - @CASSETTEISGOD

Chosen by:
Omni (#1)
Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Funerary_Doom (#1)
rms (#3)
HamburgerBoy (#6)
Talos of Atmora (#6)
Krow (#6)
spikes77 (#8)
Draehl (#9)
CASSETTEISGOD (#10)
Manic Ferocity (N/A)
unknown (N/A)

TOTAL POINTS: 71.375

Almost no overlap between people who voted for Power Trip and Malokarpatan. So it's another out-crowd/in-crowd divide as with Vektor/The Chasm in 2009.

Reactions: unknown
I am going to listen to every album in this top 10. I'm up to Ne Obliviscaris so far. The Warbringer and Obituary were pretty lame, but I appreciate that the Warbringer album ended with a 10-minute epic. Why don't more thrash metal bands write epic songs like that? Worked out so well for Metallica.

Reactions: Bloopy and Baroque
I like the corny adventurous with endearingly shitty vocals kind of lame, not the monotone boring with cringely shitty vocals kinda lame, get it right.