GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1990

yes a 3/5 = 6/10. And acting and script aren't the only things i judge a movie on. If they were than most of the horror/slasher films i enjoy would be considered shit. And if you bothered to read what i said numerous times in the last few threads you wouldn't have implied that i said or think its a shit movie. I literally said im not "much of a fan" and "i dont enjoy it much" more than a few times.

Yes and now it has progressed to "the acting and script are pretty much shit" and you think it's too slow and boring, so what does the movie bring for you that makes you give it an above average rating?

I guess it could also be considered average. Miller's Crossing is a script-heavy film that relies almost entirely on acting, so I'm just wondering what you get out of it if the script and acting are both pretty much shit, and the pacing is slow and the film is generally boring. What else is left with a movie like that if you hate the script and acting?

not really, i transfer over my rating form IMDB ... which is where i rate my movies first. Just pointing out that 6/10 is in no way above average

i have it like this ...
10. flawless
8-9. good to very good
7. above average
6. tolerable - average
5. meh, wont be watching it again
3-4. pretty much crap
1-2. bonafide garbage

dont know if that makes sense, but yeah that's pretty much how i rate my movies

I could swear he's recommended or talked highly of films and then when I've looked them up on RYM he's given them a 3/5 or something. My impression is that he tends to rate lower than me and it always bugs me out.

i have it like this ...
10. flawless
8-9. good to very good
7. above average
6. tolerable - average
5. meh, wont be watching it again
3-4. pretty much crap
1-2. bonafide garbage
I used to have something very similar going but I mostly watched movies I liked, so there were way too many 7s and 8s happening. Now I'd say a 5/10 is tolerable/slightly below average, while a 6/10 is slightly above average but hardly worth watching again any time soon. I only rank on the rare occasion that I write a review now, but it's a handy guide for that.

Reactions: CiG
used to have something very similar going but I mostly watched movies I liked, so there were way too many 7s and 8s happening. Now I'd say a 5/10 is tolerable/slightly below average, while a 6/10 is slightly above average but hardly worth watching again any time soon.

Pretty much me these days. It was getting out of hand and had to pull myself back.

@CiG damn dude, 70 movies that you consider perfect?

There were more before but I culled a few back, tried to analyse what I was overrating due to nostalgia, but yeah I think I'm happy with how many 10's I have.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I have half as much 10's for music.

Some of the 10's I've given to films are more tongue-in-cheek and based on things other than the typical technical aspects you rate a movie on, for example Toxic Avenger 4 lmfao. IT'S FUCKING PERFECT.