GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2018

Anybody who wants to see that movie don't watch the trailer. Holy shit, I mean it looks cool but it is the most not subtle trailer I've ever seen.

Edit: Welp relegated to the next page, people won't see this now and will watch the trailer. :rofl:

Last edited:
^i rarely watch trailers for movies i haven't seen unless i'm a) at the cinema, or b) on the fence about whether i wanna see it

It actually doesn't look half-bad but the abusive ex angle is very reminiscent of a movie called 100 Feet with Famke Janssen. And there's an effect in that trailer that's very Hollow Man. Hopefully this new Invisible Man will remind more people to watch Hollow Man. Verhoeven's nun movie should be out next year.

Oh, I've seen other people recommend Knife + Heart. All about seeing Color Out of Space, Pain and Glory and hopefully Lux Æterna gets some kind of distribution next year.

please also watch fatal pulse (AKA night pulse) sometime. i assume you'd dig it.

if anyone knows how to fix the line spacing issues on that last entry let me know, i hate trying to fix formatting on this board
When you go to edit the post, hit the wrench button ('Use BB Code Editor') and you'll probably see the quirks that need editing out. I also find myself having to paste using ctrl-shift-V sometimes to avoid pasting formatting from whatever I've copied.

When you go to edit the post, hit the wrench button ('Use BB Code Editor') and you'll probably see the quirks that need editing out. I also find myself having to paste using ctrl-shift-V sometimes to avoid pasting formatting from whatever I've copied.

cheers, i’ll try that. i do paste as plain text when applicable, my issue is usually when i want to keep the formatting but pasting changes it in random ways.

under the silver lake wasn't in theaters until april 2019 in the US, and march here, so i'm gonna be counting it as 2019 myself. intrigued to find out what you think of first reformed, i could see you going either way on that one.

1) Night Pulse (Dir. Damon Packard)
He thought he found a Poison video. It is in fact a secret illuminati ritual.

maxresdefault.jpg

a sidesplitting retinarupturing cinematic brain hemorrhage about the struggle to survive the nineties apocalypse (its vomitpile of early nineties rubble includes kim fowley, bono, julia roberts, william friedkin hot off the set of the guardian (@Oblivious Maximus you would love this), sade, dick cheney, vanilla ice, new jack city, multiple jackson sisters and, of course, rush) with your culture, sanity, basic human form and, y'know, evil illuminati domination still intact. it's definitely not for everyone and probably not for almost anyone, but to me this is pure fucking genius and i need to see everything else packard has ever done.

I watched this yesterday, it felt like being raped by audiovisual amateurism, but I did infact let it go all the way through. I think most people will not finish watching this, there was some funny shit in there though.

10) Burning (Dir. Lee Chang-Dong)
To me... the world is a mystery.

URsAZWniEsD11hFfMd76Umdp7mL7Su.png

a post-antonioni revisionist noir, with all the alienating abstracted backdrops, self-conscious ambiguity and generational ennui that implies, although it’s tethered to a rural neet’s perspective here (he’s ostensibly a blank slate, but also a would-be novelist--this seems largely a story of his own invention) and the screenplay is meticulously shaped, full of clever callbacks and foreshadows, but also some rather more obvious signifiers and genre tropes bordering on the conventional (and implausible). the threat, confusion, isolation and resentment amassed during the slow sink into these deep blues and oranges really linger, though, like "a bass that resonates to the bones".

Yeah also watched this recently.

While I enjoyed the acting, the atmosphere, and all those little mystical hints, this movie felt like it was leading to some big revelation, building momentum, and then completely missed the landing. 15 minutes before the end I was thinking of possible explanations to what was happening before and what I got was a non-ending. I thought that was dissapointing. I guess I'm not a big fan of those "we'll let you imagine your own explanations now, kbai" kind of movies, I need the Hercules Poirot ending where he fucking explains everything and you're like HOW WHAT WHY nice mustache.

Oh well.

Can't wait for Antlers.

So, I need to make a 2018 plug for The Dead Center. This film checked a bunch of boxes for me, although it wasn't perfect. The third act felt a bit weak, and maybe too "generic," if that makes sense. But until then, I thought it was really well-plotted and conceptually thrilling.

I didn't care for the half-assed attempt at a mythical backstory--it struck me as stereotypical B-movie horror. What I loved was the antagonism between individual human perception/consciousness and whatever the infection is. It metastasizes as an expression of a deep-seated and often unspoken horror: that living human beings are always-already dead. The dichotomy of living/dead is a false one, and gives the false impression of two completely separate organistic entities. In fact, the living and nonliving overlap in sometimes uncomfortable ways. That's what I thought The Dead Center was getting at, and wished it went further in that direction (scientifically and philosophically, rather than religiously). The conversations between the patient and therapist were the best parts.

Hi miscreants. I know I'm late to this but here we go.

So I finally watched Roma yesterday and here I'm posting my list of watched 2018 films. You can see only two movies got 5/5 ratings from me and I will now compile the rest of the top ten out of the 4/5s. You Were Never Really Here would make it in the top 5 but my the czech movie database files it as a 2017 movie so I will respect that..?

2018 in film.PNG

Yeah I guess this is it:

1) The Favourite
2) The House That Jack Built
3) Under The Silver Lake
4) Suspiria
5) Dragged Across Concrete
6) Annihilation
7) Upgrade
8) Roma
9) The Purity of Vengeance
10) Mandy

Cool to see another Roma listing.

It was very well made, great atmosphere. I'm just kinda sad about the fact that it was black and white, because I imagine life in Mexico City of that time to be so vibrant with colors. I can't help but feel that it was sadly decided to go b&w to make the film more artsy or bleak, but it just feels like an easy way out to me, as I kept imagining all the possible color compositions in many of the scenes throughout the movie. I think it's an opportunity missed. :(

Reactions: CiG
I'm inclined to agree, but at the same time I wonder how much of the film's effectiveness is reliant on filming it in b&w and what would be lost if they did it in colour instead.

Updating:

1. Hereditary

Hands down my favorite, I loved what the film did in with the miniaturist imagery. Exploring issues of how we really know what's inside someone/thing, and some nice meta-cinematic synecdoche going on (i.e. the miniature as metonymic stand-in for the film set).

2. The Favourite

Hands down my second-favorite. :cool:

3. Sorry to Bother You

4. First Reformed

5. Roma

6. Mandy

I'm putting this on my list; it didn't try to be more than it was, and the atmospherics created between sound and image, music and visuals, were amazing.

7. Apostle

I think maybe a lot of people missed this one, but I thought it was great. Gritty, dark cosmic/pagan horror.

8. Annihilation

Better on second and third viewings, the narrative coheres a bit more. Visually stunning.

Reactions: CiG