GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1976

The next round will be the last round chosen by us and it will be set in the 1990's, choose!

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

CiG

Aaaaaaaah!
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
RYM film chart

Deadline is DECEMBER 30th. Since this is basically holiday season I'll play this by ear, I'll be very busy myself during this period, if people think they can do their lists a lot earlier than the deadline we can of course decide to end this round early. Let's see what happens.

Anyway 1976 is here! One of my all time favourite years for cinema in general, hopefully it's not too early an era for most people and we can get some good lists in!

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

(I've decided to not include animated films in my lists, it's up to you if you follow suit.)

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

2015_09_16-BURNT-OFFERINGS-13.jpg

Reactions: Slammed
I can work with the horror films from this year. I feel like in general whenever I do this my lists will be dominated by horror films with 2-3 other genre films mixed in because it’s all I really watch. C’est la vie

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
1. La marge
2. Doriana Gray
3. The Man Who Fell to Earth
4. Family Plot
5. The Tenant
6. Through the Looking Glass
7. The House With the Laughing Windows
8. The Witch Who Came from the Sea
9. Assault on Precinct 13
10. The Opening of Misty Beethoven

HM:

Nashville Girl
Duelle
Todo modo
Carrie
Alice, Sweet Alice
Werewolf Woman

Last edited:
I'm not going to cast a vote in what years to do next but I'm prepared to do give any year chosen a go.

I voted for 1990 for the next round, some great films came out that year like Total Recall, Tremors, Frankenhooker, Wild at Heart, Predator 2 etc...

3. The Man Who Fell to Earth

This is the David Bowie film by Roeg right? How appropriate R.I.P.

Somehow I still haven't seen this one even though I've known about it for at least as long as I've been a Bowie fan. Weird, I need to change that.

I voted for 1990 for the next round, some great films came out that year like Total Recall, Tremors, Frankenhooker, Wild at Heart, Predator 2 etc...

In case anyone really cares why I didn't choose a year (and I have no idea why they would) it's because while I like watching movies I'm not a film buff. I've got favourites like anyone else but wouldn't have a clue what year any particular movie was released, therefore I'm happy to take these polls and the music polls as they come.

This is the David Bowie film by Roeg right? How appropriate R.I.P.

Somehow I still haven't seen this one even though I've known about it for at least as long as I've been a Bowie fan. Weird, I need to change that.
That's the one. Astonishing piece of work. A "head" film in every sense of the term. Bowie's finest acting too.

As for the 90's, the decade as a whole was pretty damn strong so I think I could muster a top 10 for any given year, though some might be tricky. We shall see.

The 90's is when a lot of my favourite Asian cinema was released, so it'll be an interesting one regardless of which 90's year we do.

Reminder to myself to try to see these before the deadline:

Kill or Be Killed (shout out to RadicalThrasher for this one)
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Cannonball!
Rocky (lol haven't seen this since I was 13, might gank dad's copy)
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Obsession
Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson
Yakuza Graveyard
Car Wash
The Last Tycoon
Stay Hungry (another one in need of a rewatch)
The Message
Futureworld
Gang Wars (aka Devil's Express)

Ozploitation:

Caddie
End Play
Oz
Mad Dog Morgan (needs a rewatch is all)

Also I've never heard of this Chinese '76 film but it looks like a fucking masterpiece.

tumblr_ova2jqB1vZ1skdz50o1_500.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

油鬼子 aka The Oily Maniac. :lol:

Last edited:
1. Storm Boy
2. Silent Movie
3. Cannonball
4. Gumball Rally
5. The Song Remains The Same
6. Rocky
7. The Pink Panther Strikes Again
8. The Outlaw Josey Wales
9. Carrie
10. Taxi Driver

Awesome to see Storm Boy get such high praise!

What can I say, I've led a sheltered life. I used to know the movie word for word :)
We also spent time in the Coorong as part of our honeymoon trip home from WA.

Prelim. If I dont order these before the deadline, please let me know and I will.

Top 3
The Omen
Rocky
Carrie

Lesser stuff I like
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Alice, Sweet Alice
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Burnt Offerings
Bloodsucking Freaks
Satan's Slave
Island of Death

Grizzly (Just kidding)

If anyone wants to recommend me some streamable horror movies from this year please do. Also, I cant remember if I've ever watched Taxi Driver. Not sure how that happened, but I'll get on it. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie looks like something I might like too.

Prelim. If I dont order these before the deadline, please let me know and I will.

Top 3
The Omen
Rocky
Carrie

Lesser stuff I like
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Alice, Sweet Alice
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Burnt Offerings
Bloodsucking Freaks
Satan's Slave
Island of Death

Grizzly (Just kidding)

If anyone wants to recommend me some streamable horror movies from this year please do. Also, I cant remember if I've ever watched Taxi Driver. Not sure how that happened, but I'll get on it. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie looks like something I might like too.

You might like Le Locataire (The Tenant), it's an old Polanski and is kinda similar to Repulsion if you've seen that, ie more in the nature of disturbing psycho-drama than straight horror.

I think I've seen 7 films from this year, the 7th-most exciting being Mad Dog Morgan. The DVD came with a magazine someone gifted me years ago and I wasn't sure what the fuck was going on at the time. :tickled: Will try and round my list out with as many as I can get around to watching.

The 90's is when a lot of my favourite Asian cinema was released, so it'll be an interesting one regardless of which 90's year we do.
It was a transitional decade, at least it was for American film. It had its fair share of mega budget blockbusters but those kind of movies didn't have the stranglehold they have on the industry now. The ecology was much more diverse and middle budget films could still get greenlit. There was a lot to chose from, from the studios to the smallest of indies. Really a great decade.

Also, totally spaced that The Tenant was '76. That had to be on the list.