GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1976

The next round will be the last round chosen by us and it will be set in the 1990's, choose!

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
grds.jpg

Shaolin Wooden Men is a '76 film I totally forgot about, super young Jackie Chan (pre-eye surgery) in one of those classic 'training procedure' films that was a precursor to movies like The 36th Chamber of Shaolin where it basically has very little story and everything is about the training of the protagonist, usually ending with some epic 10 minute fight sequence.

Probably won't bump anything out of my list at this point but it's really awesome and fans of martial arts movies should check it out at some point. Kind of a weird coincidence that The Eighteen Bronzemen came out the same year with a fairly similar premise. In that one in order to graduate from the Shaolin school you have to defeat a series of bronze men, in this one the final test is to make it through a tight hallway of wooden men.

Pretty sure Mokujin from Tekken is heavily if not directly inspired by Shaolin Wooden Men.

1. Taxi Driver
2. The House with the Laughing Windows
3. The Omen
4. Carrie
5. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Need to watch Assault on Precinct again, watched once long time ago. And I wish I could give negative points to Man Who Fell To Earth. not a great year for film tbh

Reactions: CiG
Need to watch Assault on Precinct again, watched once long time ago. And I wish I could give negative points to Man Who Fell To Earth. not a great year for film tbh

Nice, another one for The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Polarising movie no doubt. I think it's beautifully filmed, and Bowie absolutely nails the fragility of his character. But it's incredibly, perhaps irredeemably, disjointed.

those of you who've listed the killing of a chinese bookie should try to watch mikey and nicky if you can. it's arguably the superior cassavetes movie of 1976, with the caveat that elaine may (an excellent director in her own right) directed it rather than cassavetes himself. it stars cassavetes and falk as a pair of, let's say, down-on-their-luck mobsters.

de palma also did two movies that year, so those who listed carrie should maybe watch obsession as well. i haven't seen it but i know it's very well liked.

Reactions: CiG
1. Alice, Sweet Alice
2. Family Plot
3. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
4. The Pink Panther Strikes Again
5. Cannonball!
6. Logan's Run
7. Bloodsucking Freaks
8. The Gumball Rally
9. Carrie
10. Shadows in an Empty Room

Picked up a bunch to watch from the thread in the end. Family Plot, Pink Panther, Logan's Run and Bloodsucking Freaks are the ones from my list I'd seen before.

should i run a 2018 movie thread alongside these? i'd like a 2018 thread soonish but i don't want to hold up CiG's game for people who don't watch many new movies.

Go for it, I've seen two movies this year, my ranking should be pretty easy.

should i run a 2018 movie thread alongside these? i'd like a 2018 thread soonish but i don't want to hold up CiG's game for people who don't watch many new movies.

That would be sweet, go ahead. Would be a good one to leave open for a little longer than usual, I have A LOT I want to see from this year haha.

Edit: I haven't seen a single fucking 2018 film, fark.

haha i've barely seen any either, but i intend to binge watch what i can. i was considering a deadline of 25th feb just because it's oscars night, but maybe that's too long idk.

Sounds like the perfect amount of time to me but I agree with CE just bump it back a bit so it starts at the end of Jan, speaking selfishly of course because I literally haven't seen a single film. You Were Never Really Here and First Reformed are right at the top of my list of shit to watch, the latter I own because I pre-ordered it.

But yeah, cool idea. Would be REALLY AWESOME for recommendations too, especially if you do what you do (a u t i s m) and other cinephiles do the same. I'm sure there'll be some killer names being dropped.