GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1976

The next round will be the last round chosen by us and it will be set in the 1990's, choose!

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Nothing set in stone but i doubt I'll change anything. Like i said before I like a lot of shit so most of this is the first stuff that comes to mind.

1. Rocky - Classic!

2. Blazing Magnum(aka Shadows in an Empty Room) - Sleazy tough on crime film that has one of the best, longest, and most ridiculous car chases. Police captains sister is murdered so he goes on a rampage looking for answers. Plus a blind witness to a murder, crossdressing kung fu, baby threatened at knifepoint, and a genuine disregard for everyone as long Captain Tony Saitta (Stuart Whitman) gets his man. John Saxon is in it too! All kinds of awesome.

3. Kill or be Killed - Apartheid era South African movie. Loads of fun and batshit crazy. Nazi war criminal, Japenese diamond fiend, a midget, all centered around a karate tournament. Has to be seen to be believed.

4. Killer Force (aka The Diamond Mercenaries) - Another South African movie ( or at least filmed there) with a great ensemble cast. Peter Fonda, Telly Savalas, Christopher Lee, O.J. Simpson, Hugh O'Brien, and a smoking hot Maude Adams. Heist force tries to rob a diamond mine. Telly fucking Savalas!

5. Taxi Driver - Sleazy, maybe feel taking a shower after watching.

6. Death Collector (aka Family Enforcer) - Low budget crime film. Neighborhood guy goes to work for the mafia as a collector. Early supporting role for Joe Pesci and Frank Vincent from Goodfellas.

7. Assault on Precinct 13 - Really dig this movie. You know when the little girl gets wasted early on that you're in for some crazy shit. Almost horror movie like at times.

8. The Omen - Scary shit! Doesn't have to rely on gore, pretty terrifying as the story unfolds.

9. King Kong - Decent (probably dated) story of the giant ape. Been a while since I've seen it but loved when i was a kid.

10. Special Delivery (Dangerous Break) - Another heist film that involves some Vietnam vets. Cool movie, crosses into comedy. Stars Bo Svenson who is forced to dump the stolen cash into a mailbox, which finds is locked until midnight, forcing him to wait until the mailman makes his late night pickup. As he waits, he discovers that his hiding place has been observed by several other people, all of whom want a share of the loot. Also has a young good looking Cybill Shepherd ( 2nd time on the list, Taxi Diver) :err:

Last edited:
TechBarb would surely enjoy The Outlaw Josey Wales too.
there are quite a few films that id love to check out(including that one) ....

Assault on Precinct 13, Harlan County-USA, The Shootist, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Omen, and maybe even Obsession.

I only watch movie on disc so im not sure i'll be able to get my hands on most of those.

Reactions: CiG
no shit obv max is gonna vote for the year lost highway was released.

more importantly, it's also the year of this masterpiece:

source.gif

tswvdevibxyuuy1w7ogn.gif

gjgfj.png

1. Taxi Driver

My favourite movie of all time. The first film I ever saw that captured the dirtier side of nightlife. Basically what RadicalThrasher said, sleazy stuff that makes you wanna take a shower. Also might feature possibly the greatest example of a director doing a scene in their own film.

hgfhfh.jpg

2. In the Realm of the Senses
Art film meets erotic thriller, based on a real life bizarre story of a 1930's geisha who was also a sadomasochist. Director Nagisa Oshima managed to both include unsimulated sex scenes and make the film one of the most beautiful tales of romance ever created. Speaks to me on many levels. ;)

7240885.png

3. Assault on Precinct 13
I love the build up with this one and it's a perfect example of Carpenter's music adding a whole other dimension of awesome to his films. Pretty insane violence for a 70's action film.

The-Enforcer-1976-Harry-Callahan-w-Tyne-Daly-clint-eastwood-39623344-1920-1080.jpg

4. The Enforcer (Dirty Harry 3)
A right-wing feminist film, imagine that. Car chases in movies are cool but this one has one of the most epic on-foot chase sequences ever, complete with a sizzling jazz score. Bonus points for not reducing Harry's female partner to a vehicle for a cheap love interest.

omen.jpg

5. The Omen
Classic satanic horror film where the supporting cast's performances were very essential in order to allow the leading child actor to give a very minimalist performance. That kid seemed so evil when I first watched The Omen haha. Also I love Gregory Peck.

Morgan-Image-3.jpg

6. Mad Dog Morgan
In many ways this movie encompasses the sheer insanity of the low/lower budget 70's film movement. Tons of drugs, booze, script rewrites, improvisation, controversy, dodgy looking wigs and fake beards, wacky fake accents, violence, further obfuscation of historical figures into mythical characters, the worshiping of the antihero and the outlaw and really dangerous looking stunts done cheaply and by amateurs.

Same director who made the notorious third Howling film featuring this legend and top tier actor, Burnham Burnham.

Carrie-Blu-rau-2016-8.png

7. Carrie
The quintessential anti-bullying film? Apparently the book is one of the most frequently banned books in U.S. schools. :err:

MV5BMTUyNDczOTk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA5OTQyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1467,1000_AL_.jpg

8. The Outlaw Josey Wales
Eastwood directed this one himself and it's a classic outlaw revenge western, but probably darker than most I would say and with some anti-war undertones. I think it's pretty weird that this film made tons of money and in the 90's was preserved for cultural relevance yet I never seem to hear people talking about it...

jXuYovu.jpg

9. Marathon Man
Pauline Kael called it a "Jewish revenge fantasy" and though I don't think she meant that in a positive sense, it does have some merit. A pretty frantic film dripping with paranoia and desperation and featuring one of Hoffman's best ever performances which makes up for any of the film's shortcomings.

BloodsuckingFreaks.png

10. Bloodsucking Freaks
Purely trash cinema that only appeals to the dregs of society, basically a masterpiece of smut, sadism and sleaze. Even the detective is a piece of shit in this movie.

I'm happy with my list so far, if anything from my 'to watch' list blows my mind I'll alter it, but other than that I'll stick with these. Really looking forward to everybody else's lists though.

I should add reasoning's to my list so it's not just another list. Problem is keeping it pithy as I tend to go on and on and on when it comes to this sort of thing, especially if its a movie I really love. Maybe the next one...

Don't let that hold you back, I love reading your thoughts on films.

@Einherjar86 if you like enough films from '76 to at least make a list of 5, you should participate. If not, consider voting for the next round's year so maybe we can do a year you can participate in.