Going To Concerts - With People or Solo?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Just curious about how you feel when you go to a concert.

Do you go by yourself, or with others?

Me, I'm usually stuck going alone to the metal ones, mainly because no one I know is interested in the bands I listen to. Like tonight - I'm going to see Hypocrisy/Soilwork/Killswitch Engage/Scar Culture, and I'm flying solo - (anybody want to go?).

Personally - I go for the music, so I don't feel I need people with me, although it would be nice to enjoy a metal concert with someone else who enjoys it.

Like The Tea Party last month - it was AWESOME enjoying it with my family.

Well.. I would never miss a good concert just because I didn't have anyone to go with. Not since I was a teenager, and I let that happend and it PISSED ME OFF FOR ETERNITY.
Of course it's more fun to go with someone that loves the band too. But to be honest, if it came to going alone or dragging someone that wasn't really into the band/music..... fuck I'd go alone in a heartbeat, cause they'd just bring me down.
Still, it's usually pretty awkward walking into a place by yourself, tho I seem to do it every time solo anymore.
:mad: :p

You can't talk your wife into going, Metalman? BUMMER! Now, me on the other hand, I miss out on a lot of shows because my b/f is married to his job rather than me :rolleyes: not to mention he's not as interested in music as I am.

If I go, I have to go with someone. I hate it being alone. I can't help it. I just hate being alone at a show. I can't stand being surrounded by people, shoulder to shoulder, and not having a good friend with me. I think it sucks to tell ya the truth. I've felt threatened before when I was alone at a show. Maybe that's all it took, I don't know.

I prefer being there with someone I can leave with and talk about the show with on the way home. No. I'm not the concert-loner type.

Originally posted by Opet
You can't talk your wife into going? BUMMER! Now, me on the other hand, I miss out on a lot of shows because my b/f is married to his job rather than me :rolleyes: not to mention he's not as interested in music as I am.

If I go, I have to go with someone. I hate it being alone. I can't help it. I just hate being alone at a show. I can't stand being surrounded by people, shoulder to shoulder, and not having a good friend with me. I think it sucks to tell ya the truth. I've felt threatened before when I was alone at a show. Maybe that's all it took, I don't know.

I prefer being there with someone I can leave with and talk about the show with on the way home. No. I'm not the concert-loner type.

My wife suffers from migraines. A metal show would destroy her - plus, it's not her style of music.

Tonights show is at the Palladium in Worcester - not many seats there, plus, she knows nothing about Hypocrisy or Soilwork.

Well, I'll make somebody very happy tonight (as I usually do when I go solo). I just give the 2nd ticket away to somebody in line ready to purchase one.

...and if you're not doing anything tonight ;)

What really pisses me off are people who tell me that they will come along and then change their mind a few hours before the gig starts. Mostly because they suddenly realize that they don't have any money.:oops:

I've dragged my girlfriend along a couple of times. Sometimes it was OK, sometimes it wasn't. If comparatively mellow bands like Tiamat, Gathering, Paradise Lost, Katatonia etc. are playing, she'll enjoy the show. However, I know that I could (or at least *should*) never take her to some death/black metal concert. But then, I don't really go to death/black metal concerts that often. And if I desperately want to go, there'll always be someone who wants to come along...which brings us back to the beginning of this message :lol:

Life is a bitch and she sucks...

Most of the time I either take my husband, or go with some other friends, but I've gone alone too.
I know a lot of people into the scene around here though, so even if I go by myself I know I can meet up with people when I'm there.
The only concert I've ever been to where I didn't know anyone else at all was Crowded House when I was 12 or 13.

Doh! What a generous metal offer. I can't.. friggafriggafrigga.. I'm packed and ready to go camping in NH for the 3-day weekend. I'd probably have a better time at the Palladium though. It may rain on Sunday and I'd like to see Hypocrisy and Soilwork live.

Too often I go alone. And I really don't like it that much. It's ok
during the show, but before and after: not cool.

I feel there is nothing like hanging out with people before a gig in
a bar, having a couple of rounds. And of course discussing the
music etc. Getting psyched, getting in the right mood.

On the other hand: I seek contact if I'm alone and sometimes I
meet new people, which is very interesting.

:Smokedev:

Originally posted by Opet

Doh! What a generous metal offer. I can't.. friggafriggafrigga.. I'm packed and ready to go camping in NH for the 3-day weekend. I'd probably have a better time at the Palladium though. It may rain on Sunday and I'd like to see Hypocrisy and Soilwork live.

Well - have fun in NH. I'll think of you next time I win tickets and go solo.

Any place special? White mountains? Mt. Washington? Franconia Notch? Lake Winnepesuakee?

Originally posted by Lordenlil
Too often I go alone. And I really don't like it that much. It's ok
during the show, but before and after: not cool.

I feel there is nothing like hanging out with people before a gig in
a bar, having a couple of rounds. And of course discussing the
music etc. Getting psyched, getting in the right mood.

On the other hand: I seek contact if I'm alone and sometimes I
meet new people, which is very interesting.

:Smokedev:

Sounds pretty much like me.... I don't mind being
alone during the concert. I don't want to talk while
the band plays, but the waiting before the show
starts is a drag... And I usually never go up just
talking to someone.... Then again, I enjoy watching
people's behaviour :eek:)

Oh? What behaviour is that? U mean the not-very-sober ones?
U don't drink yourself? Am I missing your point completely here?

(hmmm - no more questions for now :) )

I definitely prefer going with at least one other person, but when it's a gig that's not to be missed because it's a last chance or whatever, I'll go alone if necessary I guess... I always feel a bit sorry for those loners at gigs, they just stand there alone at the bar, no one to talk to... it sucks having to order ONE beer at the bar, they'll just knów you're alone..! :D

Especially after a gig it's just cool to have someone to talk to about the gig, share your enthusiasm (or disappointment...) etc.

Hardly anyone I know likes metal... and my brothers are generally "too busy" :bah: , but then I'm too busy to see Opeth, so I s'pose I can't complain.