Growling vs. Grunting

Grunting = gay.

Like that guy from Dying Fetus. The first time I heard them, I fell out of my chair laughing.

The first time I heard Demon of the Fall though, :OMG:

DAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Growling > Grunting.

GOD!!!!!!!
Lord Worm doesn't even grunt, he growls, he just gets a different sound. If you guys define growling by weather the singer pronouces their words perfectly so they're audiable (Like Opeth) your severly mistaken. I dont know of many vocalists that grunt (Alienation Mental maybe???) but mostly they either stick to doing the cleaner, for even vibrating growls or the lower more gutteral gurgling growels. The techniques for both are the same its just what part you use to project the energy and how it comes from the mouth.

Lord Worm had one of the best techniques for growling ever recorded. Simple. Grunting if anything is where the singer doesn't engaged any vibration or ripping and ends up making airy burping noises. Sheeeesssh!!!!

So where does Mullen a noted grunter fit into all of this.

Unless some of you classify him as a growler.

Then what about the guy fron Nile.

A cookie monster most definitely.

Cookie monster is growling. Anything with a jagged sharp wave is a growl.
Nile, mostly they're text book growling apart from some of the lower 'talking' lows. Like on one of the later tracks off Black Seeds. They have a more 'clean' quality as apposed to the grating of a good growl.

Um, at the risk of starting an absolute shitstorm, I'm not sure if Lord Worm's 30 second scream on Open Face Surgery is.... real or edited.... there seems to be one part in there especially where it's almost like you can hear another scream start underneath it and take over .... as if it was overdubbed.

I am not a huge Cryptopsy fan so I don't know if he's done this live or anything... but yeah, how sure are you guys it was done for real?

Iblys said:
I am not a huge Cryptopsy fan so I don't know if he's done this live or anything... but yeah, how sure are you guys it was done for real?

because he is LORD MOTHERFUCKING WORM

LORD OF "BARK" METAL!!!

-crown of horns-

AAAAAAAAARRRGGGGWWAAAWWW

' I DO THAT RATHER WELL.... DON'T YOU THINK? '

WOOF WOOF FOOWF FOOWOWOWO FWOOOOOOFFFF
WOF FOFW WOOF WOOF WOOFF

BAAAAAAAARRR'

NicodemiX said:
Growling... its better to actually say the lyrics with a razor edge than to chop it up into indescipherable bits of garbled speech.

You sound like a lyric-obsessed pop fan.

The voice in modern music is most often an instrument before it is a linguistic device, who cares if you can't make-out the lyrics? That's what the booklet and writing is for, the voice is there to compliment, accompany and complete the music above all.

Uh, I actually like Mike DeSalvo way more than Lord Wurm. I like Mikael Stanne better than the guy from Children of Bodom. Am I a growl or grunt fan? I'm going by y'all's definition.