Hardcore...yay or nay?

I'm a big fan of hardcore, along with a ton of other genres of music...but in general I can't stand it when people say stuff like...

"I love hardcore...poison the well and hatebree are my favorite bands"

BARF...I guess I'm getting old, but as I remember it hardcore (as an offshoot of punk, any other similar named genres aside) is stuff like Minor Threat, Black Flag, Angelic Upstarts, Cromags, Bad Brains, etc....and then of course the "youth crew" offshoots like Youth Of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Underdog, etc...and the "new old school" and such bands like Carry On, Bane, American Nightmare, Champion, etc. Some of those I like, some I could take or leave...but I'm not a huge fan of "Metalcore". I'm not overtly against it, there's plenty of good bands...Unearth, Blood Has Been Shed, Twelve Tribes and some other bands I dig. But for my buck I'd rather listen to some good Metal done by people who play metal...There's a ton of "hardcore kids" starting Gothenburg Metal type bands...that's great and all, it's a good style of music (a bit late on the bandwagon I suppose), but I'd rather listen to At The Gates or Dark Tranquility or some other similar band than see some kids who just got into metal trying to rip it off.

That being said, I've played in plenty of hardcore, punk and metal bands and I like all those genres...I just dislike how we now have just the hardcore "culture" (fashion, scene politics, cliches of various sorts) co-opting metal music, usually playing it very watered down and then calling it hardcore or "metalcore". I'm full of crap of course because there are some metalcore bands I do like, but there ya go.

Originally posted by digitaldemon62
and Extol....at first i thought they were black metal and was surprised to find out that they were christian...

i'm atheist and all but shit man....christian bands are getting heaver....

Extol is quite an incredible band! I've seen them live a few times and they are simply awesome on the stage!! Great guys too, I wish more people knew of them, they're excellent musicians and very creative as well. There are plenty of great Christian metal bands as well as other subgenres, but unfortunately due to poor distribution and the Christian music scene not being shopped by recruiting labels, many of these bands will go relatively unknown... It's too bad really, there's some awesome bands out there! Extol, Antestor, Lengsel, Deliverance, Lament, Vaakevandring, Horde, Metanoia, EmbodIment, Ethereal Scourge, Narnia, Balance of Power (who played at ProgPowerII!!), Oblation, Eternal Decision, Mortification, Tourniquet, Crimson Thorn, Paramaecium, Virgin Black, Saviour Machine, Wedding Party, Rackets & Drapes, Circle of Dust, kLaNk, Argyle Park, Veni Domine, Visionaire, Eva-O... all really terrific bands that will be hardly recognized...

Zao is good.. I've seen them live a few times also. The crowd always loves them and they have some amazing energy! If you like them also check out Underoath and EmbodYment..

~Sh0k~

I must say Nay to hardcore...especially modern hardcore. I can handle some Black Flag and Minor Threat, in small doses (after that it sjust damn repetitive) but modern hardcore rubs me the wrong way.

-Eric

Originally posted by edwardgein
Its o.k. its no the best genre but its o.k. I just hate tehir little karate moshing, its really pathetic.

Yeah I hate that too... especially when those same kids show up to a metal show and ruin it for everyone else. Not everyone who's into the music wants to be pushed around, it's NOT okay to do that - haha!

~Sh0k~

nay, hardcore is gay, they should be burried in hey, they act like they can play, but to their dismay, they cant... uh... i'm out of ideas. you get the gist though
~gR~

I remember listening to some Zao, Hatebreed and Dillinger Escape Plan, and not liking it because it was way too heavy......but then....I like the heaviest of death metal......is there some strange contradiction going on here? It was quite a while ago though.......

Originally posted by SculptedCold
I remember listening to some Zao, Hatebreed and Dillinger Escape Plan, and not liking it because it was way too heavy......but then....I like the heaviest of death metal......is there some strange contradiction going on here? It was quite a while ago though.......

You sir are a Fuckhead.

Originally posted by genocide roach
nay, hardcore is gay, they should be burried in hey, they act like they can play, but to their dismay, they cant... uh... i'm out of ideas. you get the gist though
~gR~

FUCKHEAD
YOUR A FUCKHEAD
FUCKHEAD YOUR A FUCKHEAD.

Originally posted by union9
FUCKHEAD
YOUR A FUCKHEAD
FUCKHEAD YOUR A FUCKHEAD.

did i hit a nerve? hardcore sucks, IMO. they act like they are all tough with their angry music and silly pit siezures. i cant take hardcore seriously, the music is boring and they act like idiots with their hardcore "dancing"

i'll stick with metal
~gR~

Hardcore has its moments.
Converge and DEP are two of my favourite bands.
I also like Living Sacrifice and Agoraphobic Nosebleed quite alot.
YAY.
Eamonn

To me Hardcore born and die with bands like S.O.D (awsome!) and D.R.I. (extremely funny). What is called today Hardcore can go the same way of Nu-Metal... :puke:

Thats right asshole, no talent what so ever. A bunch of idiots playing every song in the octaves of P5 while the drum player repeats his boring snare hi hat snare bass drum patern. And the singer screams about nothing randomly. I dont see how any one can find value in that music?