Has anyone here ever been in a fight?

Opeth17 said:
It's the same with me. I have an Opeth hoodie that I wear, but other then that, you wouldn't even know I listened to metal unless by chance you happened to hear it coming through my headphones. I think as soon as people learn you listen to metal they just assume your a blood thirsty, insane, satanist. Of course, this can work to your advantage in certain situations. :tickled:
I don't even have any band logo clothes. Like PJ said once, I look like your standard computer dork (except I'm good looking).

I never advertise metal, because it seems like your desperate for people to go "woah, he's crazy if he listens to that", like these dillholes that think it's cool to blast Pantera in their car. For one, they look like morons. Two, Pantera blows.

J. said:
I don't even have any band logo clothes. Like PJ said once, I look like your standard computer dork (except I'm good looking).

I never advertise metal, because it seems like your desperate for people to go "woah, he's crazy if he listens to that", like these dillholes that think it's cool to blast Pantera in their car. For one, they look like morons. Two, Pantera blows.

For some reason I feel really comfortable wearing band shirts even though I only own like 3, for some reason it just feels right. I either have my Opeth or Raiders hoodie on anyway, so it doesn't matter. I generally don't give a crap about clothes, whatever is easiest at the time is my main policy.

I can see what your saying though about people advertising metal. I'm sure there are more than a few people that wear Cannibal Corpse t-shirts just to do it. If I wear a band shirt its because I genuinely like and enjoy the band and got it at a concert or something and its just a nice thing to have.

And concerning Pantera, I think everyone owns at least one Pantera cd, even people who don't listen to metal. My cousin in Texas bought one to drive around listening to it and his friend who wants to be a rapper owns their live album. :tickled:

J. said:

LOL....

I don't think advertising my metal means I'm desperate....

And I wanted to comment on something that has been mentioned a bit here, people saying they can whoop ass because of their size....

Size ain't shit. As a smaller guy, I've had to learn how to defend myself against guys bigger than me, which is just about everyone (I'm 5'8 and way about a buck 15). Any mofo fucks with me, and either the kneecaps or the nuts are first to go. After that, I'm biting your fucking ear off and gouging out your eyeballs out with my fingers.

I totally agree. Size means shit when it comes to fighting. Being big simply means most people won't mess with you. Now if you're a big mofo, yet you pick fights, I hope some little shrimp embarasses his ass.

There is nothing like wearing your colours in pride, whether it be at a sports game or metal concert. Fucking camaradarie rules, and you should wear your concert gear with pride. It is a badge of honour.

This is metal. Fuck CDs, it is all about the live experience. Bands don't form to make records, they get together so they can tear the house down from up on stage. Shit, to be in my 20's again, I'd be at a show every Friday night living in North Cali somewhere. :cool:

I never cared for the live show. Never was into it. I'd much rather sit in the comfort of my own home, put on some headphones and just let the music take me.

I don't listen to metal for the camaraderie, or to be part of a group who "gets" it. I don't listen to be different and it most certainly doesn't define me. No offense, but I don't look at y'all and think "Oh, my brothers in metal!" I look at y'all and see a bunch of guys with one common interest. I'm a baseball fanatic, but I don't look at other baseball fanatics and think "We should all wear our team jerseys and represent!"

I'm just Jeff, who lives in a quiet northern suburb of Houston, works for a software company, getting married in November, and enjoys listening to metal and hardcore music. Metal is not a lifestyle for me, it's a form of music that I love.

As far as wearing your "colors". When I see people wearing metal gear stuff, it is mostly teenies trying to "express themselves" by being different. It's become cliche and the anti-trend.

But more power to you all. :) I'm just a cynical, anti-social asshole.

I love concerts, but I hate to drive to LA on a Tuesday then come home at 2am stinky and deaf having to go to work the next morning. I still do it probably once a month anyhow though. :Spin:

I own a handful of band shirts, but I usually only wear them to concerts. I'm not big into advertising, in fact I hate it. If a logo is larger than a quarter chances are I won't buy the shirt / pants / cockring / whatever. Well, except my construction shirts, but those are free so I have no problem advertising for them. No way am I paying for something just to become a walking billboard.

Well, at the age of 33, married with 1.5 kids, living in NY suburbia in a 5 bedroom house and a Lexus RX300 parked in my driveway, there's certainly a difference between me wearing my Slayer shirt to the supermarket on a Sunday afternoon and going to see Slayer play live somewhere in NYC. The former of course doesn't even get a look in - anymore.

I absolutely love going out with friends to shows or festivals, and since there are so few metal fans in the world, even at my age, I feel fucking awesome walking up to the gig venue, especially as you feel the tremble as all the other hundreds (used to be thousands) of fans all gathering at the same place. Everyone in their shirts, everyone there to see the same band, everyone in it together. Just like tailgating - something done much more so in the US than anywhere else. Tailgating at Iron Maiden last year was just outstanding, and missing Wacken (with backstage passes) is something that I will always live to regret (even though it wasn't my fault for not going). Wacken is like the fucking Mecca of metal.

No, I don't sit there thinking I'm part of a gang or these are my "brothers in metal", but yeah, I love being around people with common interests (OUTSIDE OF THE FUCKING PC & INTERNET!!!). That is why live shows will always be the best thing about metal.

Even when I went to see Agalloch on my own in Boston, it was just friggin' great. I wore that one of a kind shirt, got to meet Andreas from The End Records, he hooked me up backstage with Agalloch, and Joseph from Vendlus Records handed me all those CDs that I sent out to you lot. There was no need for formal introductions, it was already a given that everyone was friends.

It's just like going to see the FA Cup final, or England play at international level. There is something unique about the old school metal fans out on the street. It's 1000 miles away from stupid mallrats hanging out at the mall listening to Lamb of God or Marilyn Manson outside Hot Topic.

There is no fucking way I am going to see Slayer, for example, in a polo shirt and slacks. Likewise, if I go see England play, I'm wearing my England jersey. Fuck, I wear my England shirt when I watch them play on TV. :kickass:

Alright, I'll admit that every metal show I attend at House of Blues Anaheim, which is located in the BACK of Downtown Disney, it's pretty fucking cool to see a bunch of long hairs wearing death metal album covers walking amongst the families buying overpriced novelty items. :heh:

I absolutely love going out with friends to shows or festivals, and since there are so few metal fans in the world, even at my age, I feel fucking awesome walking up to the gig venue, especially as you feel the tremble as all the other hundreds (used to be thousands) of fans all gathering at the same place. Everyone in their shirts, everyone there to see the same band, everyone in it together. Just like tailgating - something done much more so in the US than anywhere else. Tailgating at Iron Maiden last year was just outstanding, and missing Wacken (with backstage passes) is something that I will always live to regret (even though it wasn't my fault for not going). Wacken is like the fucking Mecca of metal.

No, I don't sit there thinking I'm part of a gang or these are my "brothers in metal", but yeah, I love being around people with common interests (OUTSIDE OF THE FUCKING PC & INTERNET!!!). That is why live shows will always be the best thing about metal.

Even when I went to see Agalloch on my own in Boston, it was just friggin' great. I wore that one of a kind shirt, got to meet Andreas from The End Records, he hooked me up backstage with Agalloch, and Joseph from Vendlus Records handed me all those CDs that I sent out to you lot. There was no need for formal introductions, it was already a given that everyone was friends.

It's just like going to see the FA Cup final, or England play at international level. There is something unique about the old school metal fans out on the street. It's 1000 miles away from stupid mallrats hanging out at the mall listening to Lamb of God or Marilyn Manson outside Hot Topic.

There is no fucking way I am going to see Slayer, for example, in a polo shirt and slacks.
Amen to that ... I love seeing shows also. Actually I have just started going to shows again in the last 2 years. Was going religiously during my high school and college years, then there was a period of about 8-10 years where I lost touch with the metal scene so to speak pretty much all together. The UM forum and discovering Negura, brought me back to the scene and wanting to investigate it's current incarnation.

Anyway, nothing beats a live show ... I mean Slayer last year playing the whole Reign in Blood live ... holy crap .. JayKeeley will attest to my grin after the show ... I had a permanent one on my face for about 48 hours after it :)

abcdefg said:
You can read about my latest fight here.

I usually just flee when things are getting dangerous. I have fought few times though. The most memorable must be the time when some skinny druggie tried to mug me in Spain. It was one of the few times I've actually beaten up someone.

HOLY SHIT!! That is fucking AWESOME!! :lol:

JayKeeley said:
There is no fucking way I am going to see Slayer, for example, in a polo shirt and slacks. Likewise, if I go see England play, I'm wearing my England jersey. Fuck, I wear my England shirt when I watch them play on TV. :kickass:
This is what I don't understand. So what if someone wears a fucking tux to a metal show. Shouldn't the fact that that person is there, and shares the same interest as you count more than him wearing a shirt from a band no one has heard of?

When I go to baseball games, I don't wear a jersey or a team shirt. I wear shorts, sandals, and a button-up collared shirt. It's comfortable and I feel confident when I wear it.

I guess the whole "image" thing rubs me the wrong way. Why does it matter?

J. said:
So because I don't care for the metal image, it's not in my blood? I'm glad that's cleared up.
I don't think it truly is in your blood, otherwise, you would understand.

Plus didn't you convert to metal rather late in the game?

However, you made a statement that your buttonup shirt makes you feel confident... what's wrong with metal fans feeling the same as a result of wearing their favorite metal shirt?

Papa Josh said:
Plus didn't you convert to metal rather late in the game?

However, you made a statement that your buttonup shirt makes you feel confident... what's wrong with metal fans feeling the same as a result of wearing their favorite metal shirt?
1992. I really don't know if that's considered late or not. I'm sure it's before a bunch of people, but not early enough for the 80's folks.

No different, except like I said, wearing band shirts has become an anti-trend and an image that teenies have adopted to "be different", so to me, it's become cliched. But yes, there is a difference between some hot-topic mallrat and an 80's thrasher wearing a patched-up jacket. But the difference I fail to see is between the Hot-Topic mallrat and some metal newbie wearing an Eviscerated Vaginal Corpse shirt just to act like he knows what he's talking about.

But the difference I fail to see is between the Hot-Topic mallrat and some metal newbie wearing an Eviscerated Vaginal Corpse shirt just to act like he knows what he's talking about.
I don't really think anyone ever asked you to see that difference either (because there isn't really one)