Has anyone really tried nailing cab simulation?

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
The idea of using a sim over the real thing is obviously a no brainer, but has anybody really tried modeling a cab? I'm not talking impulses where it is just eq matching the tone, i'm talking about capturing the rawness and the most important thing, speaker movement. I'm not exactly sure how Nebula cab sims work but I haven't heard of them being much better than impulses.

I'm considering taking up C++ programming and delving into that world while I'm here in school. I feel like with the amount of time and work put into matching exact schematics of amp sims and od's nobody has really put in that time to come up with a ingenious or practical way to simulate speaker movement.

Slate and more importantly, Fabrice should hop on this.

I have NO DOUBT in my mind that Fabrice could develop an algorithm that would be quite possibly, if not dead on indistinguishable from the real thing in a blind A/B test.

No program is going to mimic the physical sensation of a cab pushing air. :)

I thought that too until I ran across an analog circuit that could mimic the 3rd harmonic compression of speaker distortion. If that algorithm could be determined and tested, the algorithm for the subtle compression of air as well could be subtracted and recreated as well.

Slate and more importantly, Fabrice should hop on this.

I have no doubt Fabrice could do what I mentioned above, the dude is a fucking Genius.

Well fuck, who is said fabrice (unless that's his forum name) and why aren't we throwing our money at him? Also to the comment about how its not possible, its only impossible if you set that limit. I'm sure fifteen years ago the idea of Superior Drummer and plugs like pod farm would have been considered impossible also.

All I'm saying is that amp Sims are pretty dead on but we are still using static impulses and IMO, the cab and Mic are just as crucial as the amp and player. I'm not asking a free dude to do it, I'd pay a butt load for a good cab similar

I'm not talking impulses where it is just eq matching the tone

impulses are not about EQ matching, they are used for convolution, which uses mathematical model of space, in our case in front of the modeled cab, based on the pre-recorded sound samples - IR files. you don't need impulses to do EQ matching

Also to the comment about how its not possible, its only impossible if you set that limit. I'm sure fifteen years ago the idea of Superior Drummer and plugs like pod farm would have been considered impossible also.

Dave Grohl would look at you like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/4565169262_fac734424e_o.jpg

But I think the same, we have computers and lots of things so...
why don´t we use it like another instrument/equipament?
Yes, it´s not the same but it can be close to it.

As far as I know...

You have this (44.1 only):
http://mercuriall.iks.ru/cms/

And this one if you have nebula - I don't have it ;(
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/

Shane (Kazrog) just added something really cool to the beta for the Recabinet 3.1.1 update, I think it makes a pretty noticeable jump towards being more like the real thing.

Shane (Kazrog) just added something really cool to the beta for the Recabinet 3.1.1 update, I think it makes a pretty noticeable jump towards being more like the real thing.

Recabinet 3.1.1 is currently in private beta as of this week, and will be the first release to include speaker dynamics. It will be released publicly as soon as the beta testing cycle is complete. I've been working on this algorithm for over a year, and I'm very happy with the results! I think you guys will be, too.

Stay tuned...

Sweet! I had 2.0 that i used in the past with my Mark IV and been thinking about upgrading since lately i've mainly been using the POD HD Pro to do quick recordings. I've been wondering if it's worth bypassing the stock impulses and using it with Recabinet. I haven't tried it yet due to convenience because i only use the POD for quick tracks, lay down ideas and such. Might just grab this new version when it comes out to try it out, could be worth it for quick demos or those people that "need" the POD sound (I've actually had people come in and say that they don't like real amps and they just play Line 6 amps/POD :err:).