Has the Opeth forum lost it's way?

I don't know, guys. I enjoy myself here! I just ignore the "trolls", ignore the rehashed threads and stupid, rude comments, and try to be nice to people and have fun. If you're not having fun and you think this place "used to be great, but now it sucks", what's the point?

And WAY too many people take this stuff WAY too seriously. It's just an interwebz forum people, it ain't life or death.

edit: I agree that Soundave is a great example. So is Lothlorien and a few others. There are good people here :)

Having fun is the key. Different people have fun in different ways, I guess. My idea of fun involves actually interacting with people. I'm a stay at home dad, and have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and I come here to be able to actually discuss stuff with other folks who like the same thing I do: Opeth. Otherwise, my days are spent pretty isolated. Not a whole lot of other adults (or near adults...I taught HS in my former life, and I always enjoyed talking with my students). I don't need any more whiners than I currently have in my life, you know? So I try to keep it positive here.

When I first joined this forum people were more respectful to one another.

There was none of this childish bickering which goes on today.

Maybe the fan base is younger and more immature now, Opeth always used to be a band for more mature people, now it seems that this forum is frequented by a bunch of slipknot fans.

Even though I love the older albums, their sound is better than ever before. And by getting Watershed I am certain.
And talking about haircuts on bass is fucking ridiculus. How stupid is that?

loll that's all i ever heard since i fucking joined this forum, i think people say that kind of thing just to look cool. But in all honesty, this place is boring as hell these days

I agree that it can be boring to a large degree, but there are still some good threads and interesting opinions. And knowledgeable people. And Opeth is the greatest thing to ever happen to music. That's why I keep coming back :)

I don't know, guys. I enjoy myself here! I just ignore the "trolls", ignore the rehashed threads and stupid, rude comments, and try to be nice to people and have fun.

The only reason for why I keep visiting this forum is quite the opposite of yours..
I love trolls, stupid questions and rude comments.. As long as it makes me laugh!

I mean, Waz.. He's amazing! Funny dude and doesn't even know it..
That OPTH_FAN guy.. That was even more epic..

In part I was asking a question. If in fact it had lost its way or if this is the sort of insane stuff that happens when a new record comes out. I was also politely asking the noobs to search for stuff before posting a billion threads on which watershead song is best.

And on a side note, just because let's I don't like this forum much anymore does not change the fact that this forum is not as good as it once was.

So please Soundave and Mr Samsara get it back on track. I have special distain I reserve for people who don't let other have an opinion.

I could be mistaken, but you appear to be taking my post personally... which is fine I guess if you wish to... but my post was casting a wide net. read most of these posts and it's mostly whining. I've heard this style of whining for years here. I dislike it immensely. Unless you actually are one of the many who whine about how bad this place sucks without actually leading by example ...posting well, helping the noobs, ignoring the trolls, etc... then you have no reason to believe that post was directed at you at all. Not any more than I think the "I have special distain I reserve for people who don't let other have an opinion" comment was directed at me.... since I'm not one of those people.

but this forum has really turned to shit, finding a good thread is like finding a needle in a hay stack these days.

and i know there are probably heaps of people that will say something like "butsex" or "mabe you suck" in response to this, but thats what i mean, thats all there is on here these days.

:mad:

Stop whining and either make a "good thread" yourself or search a little harder. There's tons of quality material on this forum if you wish to find it.... or like I said, bring some of your own quality material to the table.

Samsara, how about closing or deleting threads like this..
People will keep on bashing..
Or posting annoying posts, like this one..

I typically let stuff like this remain if I address a situation so the poster has a chance to see it and other potential posters see it. I would hope/expect this thread to die and move drop off the main page soon enough.

Also, I don't want forum members thinking it's my job to be a fucking maid and clean up their shit all day... posting random shit threads and i'll just swoop on in and mop. No.

Samsara, how about closing or deleting threads like this..
People will keep on bashing..
Or posting annoying posts, like this one..

i don't care if people call me gay, its the internet. i know this is a shit thread, but thats the problem. there are to many threads that are shit. this will fit in nice with all the other shit threads.
i think there A LOT of threads that could be deleted (including this one) but something needs to be done to moniter the amount of threads and what the threads are, like have an admin give the thread the "ok" before its posted, the forum would be alot better and easier to use thats way.
and judging people by how many posts is stupid, i have been reading the forums for over a year, but didn't join for a while.
the reason the post count is so low is because i don't see the need to say anyhting on all the stupid threads there are.
im sorry but this needed to be said, there must be something that can be done to fix this.

The only thing I got a chance to see here is that someone makes a clear statement about the quality of this forum nowadays and that everyone is bashing him, since he has only posted 15 times.
Great, not to mention the stupid answers like the 40 meters long "SHIT THREAD" or "you're gay lol" ; I guess that's exactly what the original poster complained about, not really the quality of threads but more the number of stupid answers like these ones.

im sorry but this needed to be said, there must be something that can be done to fix this.

Yeah, like waiting for them to pass the "18 years old" bar.

but this forum has really turned to shit, finding a good thread is like finding a needle in a hay stack these days.

and i know there are probably heaps of people that will say something like "butsex" or "mabe you suck" in response to this, but thats what i mean, thats all there is on here these days.

:mad:

Well, you just walked into a barrage. Anyway, your post is only adding to the shit. This has already been covered. Use the search engine or find another forum.

In short: Don't be a troll.:zombie:

an internet barrage, is that suposed to mean something serious??

and all you can say is that this is adding to the shit, im gay, im a troll, this has already been covered, find another forum.

im not trying to be a troll, im trying to help, this forum needs fixing i think, or some kind of monitoring of posts and threads.

im a fan of opeth, and there are not 2 forums. i would like to be able to use this one. but its becoming pretty hard.
even if i started a good thread chances are someone would say i was a gay troll who should go to another forum.