Hatecrew Death Roll vs Are You Dead Yet, Blooddrunk and Relentless Reckless Forever

Pick one

• Hatecrew Death Roll

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • New stuff

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

violentrl

Jan 27, 2011
Hatecrew Death Roll vs the three newest Bodom albums.

9 tracks vs 9 best songs from current three album

Which is better?

None of them are great if we compare them with Something Wild, Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper. But Hate Crew Deathroll is better than the three newest COB albums. I don't like Relentless Reckless Forever. I can't even finish the album. It's that bad.(in my opinion)

I know but HCDR is more thrashier compared to HB or FTR. I find their old stuff a lot better, Kissing the Shadows is better than their 3 new albums COMBINED lol.

With HCDR they still had that "youth energy" going on in the music even tho they'd gone down the thrash path. Obviously for me atmosphere in music is very important and that's quite abscent in HCDR when you compare it to some other albums. It definitely ranks among the "new COB." They just didn't do the drop-tuning riffing much yet but it was very strongly in the air in HCDR and they started capitalizing on it with the EP and ever since...

With the new albums it often feels like the vocals/lyrics have too important role, and the music less so and it's frustrating especially when bearing in mind the music during vocal parts is less attractive now than in the past, plus the new vocals/lyrics are mostly just random venting, so it's not a very good deal... this is not how it is with every song, but a generalization. I think they should just do slower and more black'ish vocals like the Hatebreeder album and Everytime I Die, or just stop doing the shitty vocals like Not My Funeral and Cry of the Nihilist for example.

I would like them to concentrate more on making interesting, atmospheric melody ideas and beats and forget about the thrash elements. I'd be disappointed if the next album was just another thrashy Bodom album. But I'm not going to hold my breath for that one like I did for the last two.

I just counted at least 10 COB tracks where I'd have a special idea how to make it sound better... one of them is Roundtrip to Hell and Back, the chorus and pre-chorus should've had some kind of moody riff with some ahh choirs they did for the NMF and WIWI intros. With just a touch of creativity this could've been done and it would be so much better. It was good they managed to do one bull's eye for the new album that had a clean, determined world-conquer feel from start to finish. I think either SKO or Roundtrip should've been the single, but it doesn't really matter these days.

There's little things in certain songs that could be different imo...

Towards Dead End - the vocal sections ruin a potentially diamond track.
Black Widow - the 1:16 - 1:23 idea should've been used more often during the song (just leave the very last notes away)... how you synchronize that with the weird chorus I dunno...
Kissing the Shadows - the chorus, if that was changed this would be one of the greatest songs...
Chokehold - chorus keyboards are inaudible, why, they're great live.
Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood - should've been the single for HCDR, with more emphasiz, more serious feel, touch more mood and heaviness. (Or make Needled the single and LBRD the opening track for the album.)
Living Dead Beat - verse and chorus keyboards are genious, why are they inaudible on the record?
Are You Dead Yet? - chorus melody is barely audible.
Punch Me I Bleed - one of their most moody and atmospheric songs, it just wasn't perfectly captured in studio, the live version is pure magic. Again little things that create big difference at the end. Maybe the entirity just works better live, which is why I think they should play it live.

lol finally a new old bodom vs new bodom thread. Joonas, no offence but you have already made your point clear and anyone knows your opinion on that topic. dont feed the n00bs.

but anyway, why do you think they should do more black'ish vocals or stuff like their old stuff? If they liked that stuff they would make music like that, it doenst help them in any way to write and record music like that again.

Why don't you try adding the other albums as well? It's stupid to make a topic with 2 options to pick from, when you can have more than that. Therefore I'm not voting on this shizzle.

why do you think they should do more black'ish vocals or stuff like their old stuff? If they liked that stuff they would make music like that, it doenst help them in any way to write and record music like that again.

Well, Alexi was capable of more yothful, raspy screaming ten years ago, now his voice is fucked up. I gotta say Hatebreeder includes what I consider the best and the worst COB vocals. I love the drowning whore vocals but the drunk pirate vocals suck ass. (The vocals very impressive during 1999-2002 or so.) If they fixed that and made the sound of the album a bit less clinical and more heavy it would be an even more epic album. I still like the soundworld more than the new albums.

I agree with Joonas, maybe the band is just experimenting with the new stuff but all they've really been doing is creating more and more thrashy songs that appeals to the mainstream audience. If they are going to continue with this route and go for more and more mainstream direction, Ill label them as sellouts. I doubt a band of this caliber has nothing to create another innovative that is mind blowing and so much different from their usual stuff we know but heavy and melodic as hell. I dont want Bodom to turn out either stale and irrelevant while going back making another FTR or sellout piece of shit by making more radio-friendly songs. Like when we first heard HCDR, it was fresh and unique. I want something like that going, but not making another HCDR. Maybe exploring into other types of genre and implementing into their music.

Why don't you try adding the other albums as well? It's stupid to make a topic with 2 options to pick from, when you can have more than that. Therefore I'm not voting on this shizzle.

Im not really comparing the Old vs New because Old is obviously better. I consider their HCDR their "newer" works

Well it's clear if they make one more thrashy album, it's gonna be dominant in their discography, with just the couple odd albums in the early works that were more fresh-sounding for some reason. After RRF turned out 'not-return to the past ways,' they're on the blade's edge whether they can ever redeem their original status no matter what kind of album they make next. But it's up the them, and I'll almost have an education and wife and kids when it's out, so no hurry to stress, so far in the future.

Well, Alexi was capable of more yothful, raspy screaming ten years ago, now his voice is fucked up. I gotta say Hatebreeder includes what I consider the best and the worst COB vocals. I love the drowning whore vocals but the drunk pirate vocals suck ass. (The vocals very impressive during 1999-2002 or so.) If they fixed that and made the sound of the album a bit less clinical and more heavy it would be an even more epic album. I still like the soundworld more than the new albums.

Ok, got you.

So you're acutally stating that you miss the vocals but like the new sound better? What about the riffs and stuff?

im sick with people saying older stuff is better than the new one. fuck you all, the new stuff fucking rocks, if you dont like stop listening ffs

im sick with people saying older stuff is better than the new one. fuck you all, the new stuff fucking rocks, if you dont like stop listening ffs

You need to shut the fuck up and take a chill pill. If you are sick and tired of reading this shit, then why don't you go away?

So you're acutally stating that you miss the vocals but like the new sound better? What about the riffs and stuff?

Well I've always said I like certain things better about the old and certain better about the new. Every album is different, not just 'old and new.' Overall I like the old better, but it's not like every single aspect about HB and FTR is better. The best songs of the new material are better than the worst songs of the old material. Can't really say I prefer any particular sound, it all comes down to fitting the songwriting on the album. However I've always said it seems every album has picked one or two particular songs to perfect the album sound into and the rest of the album follows, but it might not be so and some songs just fit the sound better.

When you think about the song titles, the new album has nothing in common with the old. Now it's about drunk skater dudes when it used to be mysterious death metal. RtHaB is the only song title that has the aura of the old days, and perhaps NPTD and NMF, but the contents within the songs prove otherwise. In Alexi's words, it's still Bodom, but it feels they want to be about something else.

When you think about the song titles, the new album has nothing in common with the old. Now it's about drunk skater dudes when it used to be mysterious death metal. RtHaB is the only song title that has the aura of the old days, and perhaps NPTD and NMF, but the contents within the songs prove otherwise. In Alexi's words, it's still Bodom, but it feels they want to be about something else.

Definetly agreed. Drunk skater dudes lol :D