Have you found it difficult to meet people who enjoy extreme metal?

I see people wearing all sorts of metal shirts at the college I go to. During one day of walking on the main drag here, I saw two different Bathory shirts. I saw a girl in an Emperor t-shirt a few days ago. I was washing my hands in the bathroom, some dude walked up to me and was like "Is that an Agalloch shirt O_O?" There are two people in my logic class who have worn Kreator, Bathory, Burzum, and Suffocation shirts. My girlfriend likes metal. My old bandmates who are also my best friends are into metal. My roommate from last year is a huge black metal fan. I formed a new old-school (Entombed, At the Gates, Suffocation, Dismember-styled) death metal band with people I met here. Needless to say, I know plenty of people who like the stuff I do.

Susperia said:
.... How was that pretentious?
1. You had to be either lying or you actually are that pathetic

2. I think you were just trying to be overdramatic and failed

3. "I'd probably get a crush on the good looking ones and that would be awful"

Ummmm.........:erk:

I was being rather silly and over-exaggerating. I don't see how it's pretentious...

edit: i.e. They're not really that ''beautiful" and I wouldn't develop crushes on them just by talking to them. But yes, I am actually too shy to talk. I really don't understand your logic for that being overdramatic and pretentious?

i really dont care what music people listen to. i actually generally prefer to have friends who dont like metal. i have a friend at work who likes metal. she has fucking awful taste, but shed be offended if i told her what i really thought of cradle of filth.

bring on the robbie williams fans i say.

Meeting someone into shitty heavy music is probably worse than anything. I remember this kid would tell me that his favorite metal bands were creed,godsmack,etc... In real life I can't just tell someone to fuck off because I do have manners to a degree and pretty shy myself. After hearing about creed I would eventually find a way to walk away. I'm average intelligence and this kid was so fucking stupid it was unbelievable. I looked like a rocket scientist.

I have had some random person start talking to me at a metal section at an FYE while looking for cds and to be honest was pretty annoyed. Maybe i'm just not a social person liking to be left alone. I don't see someone with a metal shirt feel appart of something and want to approach them. I could carless less what that person likes or has to say.

i love seeing the maiden shirts or metallica shirts, but then next week the same kid will be wearing a fucking hatebreed shirt....

Susperia said:
I was being rather silly and over-exaggerating. I don't see how it's pretentious...

edit: i.e. They're not really that ''beautiful" and I wouldn't develop crushes on them just by talking to them. But yes, I am actually too shy to talk. I really don't understand your logic for that being overdramatic and pretentious?
Okay, but I wasn't being very serious when I posted that.

Wrath

The hardest part about befriending metalheads is that everyone I've met is either a disgusting, pathetic loser (like my neighbor who listens to Venom, Maiden, Priest, Slayer, etc...) or a self-absorbed, pretentious dick (like the lead singer of the band one of my friends is in).

I take that back, most of those frat kids listen to that god awful shit band OAR.

fuck you, Ohio State, for giving Ohio a bad name!

ThePhilosopher said:
I see people wearing all sorts of metal shirts at the college I go to. During one day of walking on the main drag here, I saw two different Bathory shirts. I saw a girl in an Emperor t-shirt a few days ago. I was washing my hands in the bathroom, some dude walked up to me and was like "Is that an Agalloch shirt O_O?" There are two people in my logic class who have worn Kreator, Bathory, Burzum, and Suffocation shirts. My girlfriend likes metal. My old bandmates who are also my best friends are into metal. My roommate from last year is a huge black metal fan. I formed a new old-school (Entombed, At the Gates, Suffocation, Dismember-styled) death metal band with people I met here. Needless to say, I know plenty of people who like the stuff I do.

For once I'm actually envious of N.J.

I've met only one guy who enjoys extreme metal but... he talks like an idiot. There are many people in my school with Nirvana t-shirts. I rank them as a fucking emos. I guess I am the exception, I wear SlipknoT t-shirts but I hardly listen to them now. I am a black/death metal fan. Only one guy wears Deicide "Legion" album cover on his t-shirt but he looks like a faggot.

speaking of meeting people into metal, I wore my Morbid Angel hoodie to Sheetz here in Canfield, last night, and some kid approached me and said "cool shirt, man". I struck up a convo with him and he told me he was into bands like Deicide and Cattle Decapitation (now I'm not a huge Cattle Decap fan, but this was a once in a blue moon opportunity). I guess I meet these people when I least expect it.