Headphone Suggestions - Take 3!

I'd love to try the Denons but I literally don't think I'd be able to feed them from anything. That's the biggest hurdle there.

I've not got great feelings about these Beyers. They're sounding really hollow and weird. I think I should've had more conviction in my own conclusions during testing, and not have bought into some graphs that mean nothing.

Remember, it's not all about the resistance. Headphones with a low resistance will need more current, and that'll distort headphone amps with poorer quality rather easily, since they haven't got enough juice to drive them. I do believe that the 2Control should handle that, though.

Headphones (and monitors, really) are just such a taste thing that you really need to try before buying. Unless you've got the blank canvas mentality and just learn to use everything you get your hands on, which is pretty much what I consistently do, if something impresses me but I've no chance of trying it myself. If you're looking for a specific sound, it's definitely very very difficult to find what you're looking for with just shots in the dark, pretty much.

I'd still suggest that your best bets are the HD-600 and the Denon's, and I actually think that you might prefer the HD-600's even though you hated the HD-650's. The build quality is the same plastic-y thing you'll love and the cable's apparently of lower quality though.

Isn't there a place that would send you a couple pairs of cans for testing for yourself, and then return all the ones that didn't impress you? I'd definitely go with that if it's in any way possible.

Cool. I'll keep an ear out for the HD-600s. I really want to try the Denons, but for the aforementioned reason I'm not sure whether it would even make sense. Thanks for all the suggestions.

As far as the Beyers go... how long do I need to burn them in for to get a true reading on their sound? I just played some music I know on them (after ~8 hours running music through them) and was appalled. I couldn't believe something could sound so godawful... I get the same 'are they broken?' feeling I had with the HD-650s, except these are even more skewed. Do I have to run them for a whole 24 hours or something?

I personally don't think that beaking in the phones changes them so much that you suddenly like them even if you hated them at first...
they change after the break-in, but not THAT much I think.

HD600 could be a good try, wanted to try them when I got the HD650 but didn't have the chance to. From what I remember they are supposed to be not as strong as the 650 in the high mids.
Also bass is a bit different I think. Dunno if that is enough of a difference compared to the 650 for you tho.

Maybe getting another pair if MH50 is the best solution for you after all :lol:

Appreciate you keeping us up to date with your quest Ermz! I wonder what the shure 940 is like. I detest beyerdynamic headphones so far. I had a bad experience with DT-100's years ago, I just couldnt stand listening to them as they sounded lifeless. I'd rather use my gaming headset!

FWIW I bought KRK KNS8400 a few days ago. When I compared them in the shop side by side with M50, I instantly noticed that M50s have noticeably more pronounced bass, kinda fake to an extent. So, I went with this KRKs in the end (they are new in the headphones game, but don't let that throw you off), as they sound more honest/flatter (and un-muddy).
Bass is un-hyped, someone would even call it weak, but I think it's actually pretty accurate. And when the burn in period is over, they will apparently give a little more bass, according to some reviews (which are mostly pretty positive btw). You could try them, they are running for like 150$ or something. Just my .02 cents.

I'm not in the right financial situation to keep this search going at the moment. Thank all you guys fro your help. I hope to have more luck with 'take 4' sometime next year.

In the mean time, if anyone wants a set of virtually brand new DT 990 Pros, let me know. I'm letting them go ridiculously cheap. $100.

:(

I told you those Beyerdynamic headphones weren't for you.

Is there really no one in your country that would let you borrow/try out a few sets of phones?

I really think one of the biggest issues in your search is that you're being a tiny bit unrealistic. You have a pair of headphones that somewhat "work;" all you need is something else to supplement them, no?

I have trustworthy ear-buds to let me know if my low end or bass kick relation is out of line or if anything is harsh sounding; I have the AKG K702s to check the fizz factor and "space" in my mix; and then I have the Extreme Isolation EX-29 to let me know what's going on overall in the midrange... I'm not having issues with switching between them.

^^^^ I'd actually suggest a few different sets like that too, but given of what I know Of Ermz wOrk flow and others similar, it would be really annoying and stuff with workflow tO go with 3 different sets instead of 1 really good set of phones

This might be a stupid question, and I'm sure you have been asked this several times so I apologize in advance, but do you genuinely feel the Opals aren't enough for low-range work? The thing I always seem to like most in your work is how well you handle the <400Hz region, so I wouldn't really say that your work shows any problems in the area at all. I stopped relying upon cans for the low frequency scoping the moment I got my Twins up and running, and so far I really haven't felt I'm missing stuff down there.

This might sound like I'm being a dick (my verbal expression is far from perfect, but hey, I'm a Finn :lol:), but is it possible that you're simply hunting down a problem that isn't even there? Like I said, the way you sculpt the low frequency range has always impressed me :)

Managed to sell the Beyers already. Whoo.

@Jarkko: The Opals are great for low-end balancing, but my room is not. There are nulls which I've learned to work around, but I feel like I haven't hit the pinnacle of my ability to mix bass yet... not by a long shot. My intention is to use the headphones for critical low-end balancing, ensuring every note is exactly as loud as the last. The problem with the M50s is that they are NOT FLAT down there. The HD650s were actually quite decent across the low-end, if a little neutered and pansy sounding, but the high mids and cheap construction/feel made them intolerable. The Beyers were just all-round awful. I would be ashamed to release something like that on the market with my company's branding on it.

No chance to demo Denons here, to my knowledge. So that'll be another risk purchase. Since there's no way in hell they'd ever work with my headphone amp at only 25 ohms, I may have to see if I can get a 'padded' cable extension for them or something.

Sound probably stupid but consult a real room tuner/acoustician for help fixing your low end problem at the source would be more cost effective now?
Or change location...
I say this but I can understand this is probably not realist right now. Only yourself know it btw...

I bought Beyerdynamic DT-880 cans and I love them. They are very close to HD800 EQ-wise. They are actually even flatter than the HD800s. Give them a try...

Sigh. Been through this, and it's a question that ended pretty quickly....

Tried ALL sorts of cans, owned high end Senn's, owned high end AKG's, Beyerdynamics, and there is only two sets that I have kept......

Denon AH-D5000... Or get 95% of their performance with the AH-D2000's...

Seriously, go buy some, couple them to a nice headphone amp, and send me a PM thank-you. Sound quality + CLOSED cans, so they are good for tracking too....

Best audio purchase I have made.

Thats all I have to say :)

They're pretty good but the low-end is loud, good and strong but loud. Pretty much the opposite in that department to the K701 who are rather anemic in the bass.