hello and questions

rammpeth

Dec 12, 2005
hello everyone, i just made an acc here but ive been reading these forums for quite some time. Anyway, I love winds and AoS and i was wondering ,,in the "underground" scene what are good album sales? how many did winds and aos sell? if it doesnt bother anyone me asking
well, g2g :hotjump:

rammpeth said:
hello everyone, i just made an acc here but ive been reading these forums for quite some time. Anyway, I love winds and AoS and i was wondering ,,in the "underground" scene what are good album sales? how many did winds and aos sell? if it doesnt bother anyone me asking
well, g2g :hotjump:

Hi,

Maybe others have a different opinion on this than I do, but in my opinion what is considered "good" is highly relative.

For example, if you spend $40,000 on making a record then you need to sell a lot of records to make up the cost.
If you record the entire album on your 8-track and mix it yourself, then you could probably be very satisfied selling 300 records. Of course it's obvious what will turn out better from a quality standpoint, and if you are picky like me it costs a lot of money to make a good record.

Then again, quality is not what sells, and I think everyone in the music business (unfortunately) knows this to be the case. When you start talking about the financial side of the music business (music business = 50% music, 50% business) then this calculation is very important.

So while I don't have exact figures to give you, at least this gives you an idea and some insight into the fact that "good sales" is very much in the eye of the beholder. The fact also remains that most record labels are in the music business because there is money to be made, not because they have a genuine interest in distributing quality music, so they don't spend more money than they have to, and they don't care if the music is good or not as long as it can sell.

Luckily there are still a select few labels out there who prefer quality over quantity.
But there are not many left, and they are getting fewer and fewer every day.

Regards,
Andy

That makes perfect sence. I could easily create an album right here in my bedroom, with a drum machine, my guitars, and the programs I pocess on my computer. And who knows? Maybe I'd make some good money. Its no different than all these people who create ambient music and make a lot of money off of it. It happens.

In metal however, I think that money is usually a big problem, because ways of distributing seems hard. Word of mouth and the internet seem to be the only sources of distribution. I may be wrong on this, however its what I see.

If I was to go to my local CD store, and (as I've done in the past) try to order a CD from say, 'Green Carnation', or even 'Winds', they usually give me a, "Never heard of them", or a, "It'll take 3 months to order." Thats a pain in the ass. Not everyone is able to order online like I'm forced to time and time again. (The CD store here is really small and only has mainstream music, so this instance might only happen here, I'm not sure.)

Thanks a lot Mr.Winter. Its pretty cool you talk to the people that listen to/ appreciate/like your music. Yeah i was wondering because where i live its a very small country and here its pretty much impossible to get good funds off a record (in part due to the undeveloped scene and in part to the fact that everyone likes shit music).