High Quality Heir Apparent Video

I may have missed it or something, but I'm really surprised there is no talk about the Marshall's instead of Laney's. What's with that??? Bad move imo.

Maybe the marshalls are just poweramps? I think the Boss GT delivers the distortion.. Even when they are using laney amps..

7:15 is where the blast beats are. Their short but it's sick as shit. This is song is pretty freaking sweet. I didn't much like the solo at first listen, but fuck it. Akesson is ridiculous. Opeth have done it again.

Maybe the marshalls are just poweramps? I think the Boss GT delivers the distortion.. Even when they are using laney amps..

In live situations they use the clean channel and get the distortion from the effects pedal. On recording they use the amp's drive channel I believe.
And no the Marshall's aren't just poweramps, even when using the clean channel it's going to sound a bit different than the Laney.

Maybe they just used Marshalls for the Melloboat gig since their were numerous bands playing as well ?

Possibly.. they don't sound that much different than a Laney anyway.
Laney's clean channel wins though.

I think that the song is AMAZING!! Obviously cant cater to everyone and there will still be those troometalll guys that will only accept Black Rose Immortal reincarnates and anything progressive is just not the Opeth that they know and love.....ironic that they love Opeth for being progressive yet hate change?

Freds solo work is incredible......would be interesting to find out who wrote the solo before critisising it hey?

For me the song had everything and more, the riffs are ace. Love it!

Can't wait to see this in person. Thanks for the much improved video !

I liked what I hear from Axe on this song. From start to finish this is awesome.

Do you not like TBotH? I think it's one of their best songs.

Well I like parts of that song a lot but EVERYONE LISTEN TO

the finger picking part at around the four minute mark . . . . that is totatlly regurgitated shit from Ghost Reveries, as well the riff after that part all the way up until the glass slide solo (that's kinda new but still boring and nothing captivating) and OMFG listen to the riff that starts around the six minute mark . . . . if that's not a riff that defines GR "Shitty moments" then I don't know what is.

Hopefully the clean song on Watershed will be as awesome as Atonement! but other than that if it's anything like GR it better rip off GOP as much as possible cuz that's the only awe striking Heavy Song on that album. :Smug:

I would agree...and usually when a band hypes up an album as much as Mike did with Watershed....it's almost always overkill. The song is mediocre at best and does reflect some of GR weaker points.

I don't why they are digresing....it seems as though Mike has lowered his creative standard in order to allow the other new members to sort of catch up. But it sure the hell was a bad time to do that with a new album and all.

I hope the other songs are better...**fingers crossed**

the finger picking part at around the four minute mark . . . . that is totatlly regurgitated shit from Ghost Reveries, as well the riff after that part all the way up until the glass slide solo (that's kinda new but still boring and nothing captivating) and OMFG listen to the riff that starts around the six minute mark . . . . if that's not a riff that defines GR "Shitty moments" then I don't know what is.

Hopefully the clean song on Watershed will be as awesome as Atonement! but other than that if it's anything like GR it better rip off GOP as much as possible cuz that's the only awe striking Heavy Song on that album. :Smug:

Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years are both better than Atonement.
GR doesn't have any shitty moments imo, overall a really solid album. I actually think I prefer GR to Blackwater Park.
edit: Fred's solo work is not incredible in any way, form, or manner.
It's generic at best.

I really like the vibe of the lead stuff in Atonement . . . . I don't know if I'd say I like Hours of Wealth or isolation years more, actually they're all equal to me, those 3 songs and GOP rock! but the rest of the album doesn't do it for me, NO WAY in my book does GR beat out BWP

Some parts of it are awesome, some seem pretty cheesy (like that lead guitar break towards the beginning which sounds like it's ripped off from the soundtrack to the old video game "Descent"), but overall it's entertaining and light years better than my first impressions of "The Grand Conjuration," which I know when I first heard the leaks of it made me think Ghost Reveries was going to be simplistic trash, and didn't end up being at all representative of the rest of the album, and in fact was the weakest song on there. So in conclusion, even if you hate this it doesn't mean the album will suck :p I want a release of the album version so I can tab it !

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing.
Hated TGC when it leaked, not loving Heir Apparent but liking it more than I liked TGC, so it's a step up from my first impressions of GR. I think the album will be at least on par with GR when it is released.

Some parts of it are awesome, some seem pretty cheesy (like that lead guitar break towards the beginning which sounds like it's ripped off from the soundtrack to the old video game "Descent"), but overall it's entertaining and light years better than my first impressions of "The Grand Conjuration," which I know when I first heard the leaks of it made me think Ghost Reveries was going to be simplistic trash, and didn't end up being at all representative of the rest of the album, and in fact was the weakest song on there. So in conclusion, even if you hate this it doesn't mean the album will suck :p I want a release of the album version so I can tab it !

Come on wank, i'm sure you could tab it from the higher quality one!

The more I hear it the more I'm getting convinced that something is wrong. The individual parts are good, but I think the sum is not as good. There are a couple of sudden changes which I don't like. The one at 5:45 for instance... The clean picking sounds a bit, forced or something. I'm starting to agree with Helio unfortunately...

I'm wondering how much being able to understand the lyrics will alter the interpretation of this song.

I would agree...and usually when a band hypes up an album as much as Mike did with Watershed....it's almost always overkill. The song is mediocre at best and does reflect some of GR weaker points.

I don't why they are digresing....it seems as though Mike has lowered his creative standard in order to allow the other new members to sort of catch up. But it sure the hell was a bad time to do that with a new album and all.

I hope the other songs are better.
..**fingers crossed**

:erk:

Everyone has a right to their opinion and the expressions of those opinions are encouraged here... it's basically the prime purpose of this forum. I frankly don't care if anyone here feels they don't like the new song, the new record when it comes out, or the band period. The fact is that it's based on their own individual taste. That being said, the 2 above quoted posts and specifically the highlited portions are :puke: Are you just trolling or something? Song defines GR's regurgitated shtty moments? Mike has lowered his creative standards because you don't personally like the song? WTF?

Not only that, but Mikael hasn't really hyped Watershed that much as far as i know. Reading his posts and myspace blogs he just seems excited for himself.