HOLY GOD IN HEAVEN I ACTUALLY USED A REAL AMP(6505/ts9/mesa cab)

I saw this pic from studio fredman, so i figured the floors weren't a big deal. He also has the cab in a corner, right up against the wall. The room also appears to be smaller than the room i have
I had a carpet down and blankets up on the walls, then tried some a/b comparisons with and without the blankets/carpet, and the differences were very very minimal.
I think the mic position has more to do with my problems than anything. It definitely wasn't as off centered as the picture suggests. The center mic was 70% over the dust cap

13.jpg

Yes but that's not a square room!

dude this is like A Plea For Purging meets killswitch.
hahaahah
the vocalist sounds like Pleas
the tone is pretty sweet.
I dont really think its too boxy
you shouldve used that rockerverb ;D

Fuck yea Brian you can do no wrong it seems!

Id slap a c4 on them bass drops though cause there distorting the mix when they hit. Ive had good luck with c4 doing like 80hz-300 or 400 and clamping that down when they hit. So you still get those subs but it helps from slamming your limiter to hard like bass drops usually do....

Fuck yea Brian you can do no wrong it seems!

Id slap a c4 on them bass drops though cause there distorting the mix when they hit. Ive had good luck with c4 doing like 80hz-300 or 400 and clamping that down when they hit. So you still get those subs but it helps from slamming your limiter to hard like bass drops usually do....

i'll definitely have to try that dude. Although most 808's i make are sine waves generated at around 45hz to 50 hz. maybe 55hz a most

I always get complaints from the bands that my 808's aren't loud enough when i put them at a level that they dont distort or duck the mix when they hit.
Everyone seems to be happy when they're so loud it distorts everything. I've even had a band specifically ask for them to be so loud it "distorts everything when it hits". Go figure:rolleyes:

Well look on paz and see how high the freq goes on your 808. I make mine and its from 70hz and sweeps down. There is still harmonics so the freq goes way above 70hz. Anyways yea give it a go and see if it helps....

brian, this is quite amazing. i feel like every "rate my.." thread you make, is a new and exciting reason for me to hate you even more. hahaha.

i don't think this sounds boxy at all, although it may be a little honky. it's well good though, i'd be happy with this.

as for bass drops, yea, sine waves are where it's at. i don't like making mine sweep much, or if i do, it's not much. also, another thing i do is tune them. pick a note in the key (if it's C, i go for G, etc.), find out the freq of that note, then make the appropriate sine wave. i LOVE loud bass drops, i seem to have the opposite problem you have - i'm usually asked to turn them down!

anyways, upto usual 'hood standards, it's well good!

thanks,

EDIT: forgot to say i can hear hum in the breakdown at the end, i'm guessing you've already removed the silence from the DIs, so set up a side chained noise gate, with the DIs going into the side chain - will save you from having to do it again!

Well look on paz and see how high the freq goes on your 808. I make mine and its from 70hz and sweeps down. There is still harmonics so the freq goes way above 70hz. Anyways yea give it a go and see if it helps....

how do you go about making your sweeping 808s? I generally dont like those, but ive had several bands specifically ask for that type of 808. Ive tried just using my regular 808, and automating a pitch drop with Waves Soundshifter P, but it doesnt sound quite like your's or Joey's 808s.

brian, this is quite amazing. i feel like every "rate my.." thread you make, is a new and exciting reason for me to hate you even more. hahaha.

anyways, upto usual 'hood standards, it's well good!

thanks,

EDIT: forgot to say i can hear hum in the breakdown at the end, i'm guessing you've already removed the silence from the DIs, so set up a side chained noise gate, with the DIs going into the side chain - will save you from having to do it again!

thanks bro! I noticed the hum during the breakdown, but since this was just a reamp of an old session i did 2 months ago, i didnt feel the need to re edit the gaps on the guitars. Call me lazy:lol:

but it still has 4 corners that are at a 90 degree angle.

acoustically any parallelogram/rectangle with 90 degree angles=just as :puke: as a square room.

good thing i'm moving out of this location soon:)

The guitar seems to stick out of the mix a bit too much, i'd almost be tempted to put a bit of verb on them and lower the levels to get them more in balance with the rest of the mix

The guitar seems to stick out of the mix a bit too much, i'd almost be tempted to put a bit of verb on them and lower the levels to get them more in balance with the rest of the mix

this is what happens when you reamp/completely remix something at 11pm after a 12 hour day of working on another band.:headbang:
my focus for this was on the guitar tone instead of the actual mix

Are the settings on the 5150 in that pic....the settings you used for this?

nah i actually used pretty much the same 5150 settings that andy sneap posted somewhere a long time ago. There were a couple slight changes though

Lead channel
Pre 11 oclock
Low 1 oclock ish
Mid 9 oclock ish
High 11.30ish
Post 9.30, 10 oclock
Res 2 oclock
Pres 3 o clock

Tube screamer
Drive 9 oclock
Tone 11 oclock
Level 12 o clock

Hey brian..for the drum did you use slate samples like always?what kick and snare and their post processing please?thank you very much