Horror Movie Fans?

I don't consider Fight Club a horror movie, but that has to be one of my favorite all time movies. Just well done! Awesome!

Nor do I, by any means. It's merely an example of a concept,(the whole was it all in my mind, alter egos, multiple personality) that IMO is played out, but that has unfortunately seeped its way into the horror genre.

I agree with the sentiments that horror has become a joke as of late - a need for blood and guts is just over the top now. Do not get me wrong, I don't mind some of these blood and guts movies (I like seeing the new ways thought up to kill someone. They amuse me)

I love psychological movies - if it doesn't get into my head, or make me think, I may like it but it'll be a rare occurrence for me to watch it again. Silence of the Lambs is one of my all-time favorite movies, because it digs a hole in your head and plants itself there. The same thing goes for all the other movies in that series, and their respective books. I brought some friends to go see Hannibal Rising the night it came out this year, and was disgusted at their reactions afterwards - every single one of them thought it was boring, because he didn't "kill enough people."

Seriously, people these days would prefer a movie with no plot but 20 deaths over a movie with a good plot and 4 or 5 deaths.

Another reason I find myself liking the psychological, deeper movies is the fact that I really do not stop thinking when I'm watching a movie. I pick it apart from the very beginning, and in most cases I can tell how it's going to end around halfway through - but that shows how predictable movies are these days. Psychological films keep me in the dark about what's going to happen, but also keep my mind moving - if I'm thinking and getting NOWHERE near any sort of valid prediction, the movie has accomplished the goal I set for it.

Anyone have any suggestions of psychological horror movies like that that I might like?

rob zombie has to make the worst horror films ever. honestly if i would have known he was directing the new halloween i would never have went to see it

btw when i bought my ticket for halloween i said "one for helloween please" on complete accident. the woman kind of stared...

but seriously that was the most generic horror film ive seen in a long time. no creativity, and there had to be about 3 different times within 30 mins that some teenagers were having sex, and michael myers manages to sneak up behind them and kill them (generically) every single time.

that movie was nothing but screamin, fuckin, and killin.

bout like rob zombies other movies.

also i dont know if it would be a horror film, but the movie memento is probably one of the best movies ive ever seen.

...'the ring' was a real creepy movie...but i liked it...

...i didn't like the movie 'the others' because i knew the ending before i saw it...(the announcer in the promo that they showed on tv said there was a 'twist ending'...right then i knew how it ended...i hate when they do that before more people get a chance to see the movie)...

...i still can't sit through 'the exorcist'....:zombie:

...i just remembered two more movies i really liked...

'the dark' and 'silent hill'...both with sean bean...

Quick plug for my cousin's horror get togethers for those in the greater Northern Virginia area, he's quite the horror fiend (Jim I still swear he is your long lost brother): http://bloodytitnight.com/

Some of my favs include:

Trilogy of Terror (mainly the doll one, man watch that when you're a kid...)
The Thing
Nightbreed
The Omen (original)
The Excorcist
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both versions)
Hellraiser(s)
13 Ghosts
Poltergeist
Creepshow!
The Amityville Horror
The Shining

Man I'm sure there are a ton more, those are the ones I can think of off hand.

I did see an interesting one recently on the IFC channel, a Portuguese Horror called: This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse. Very out there, but had me watching through the end!

I can't really think of too many horror movies that I like, but lately I've been getting into Asian horror films due to a friend's reccommendation. I love films like Audition, Gemini, and Ichi the Killer.

rob zombie has to make the worst horror films ever. honestly if i would have known he was directing the new halloween i would never have went to see it

but seriously that was the most generic horror film ive seen in a long time. no creativity, and there had to be about 3 different times within 30 mins that some teenagers were having sex, and michael myers manages to sneak up behind them and kill them (generically) every single time.

that movie was nothing but screamin, fuckin, and killin.

bout like rob zombies other movies.

Kenso, the sex element was present in the original too. A bit more graphic this time around, but certainly not terribly inconsistent with the original. I thought he paid homage to the original just enough by re-enacting a few scenes almost identically. But, unlike a few recent remakes where they are exactly the same as the original, scene for scene(i.e. Psycho), he gave us a pretty cool back story about Michael Myers. I also thought having that girl Danielle Harris in it was cool too, since she did a few Halloween movies as a kid.

I actually happen to enjoy Rob Zombie movie, a lot in fact. I can understand why others don't, but I look forward to anything else he does.

Kenso, the sex element was present in the original too. A bit more graphic this time around, but certainly not terribly inconsistent with the original. I thought he paid homage to the original just enough by re-enacting a few scenes almost identically. But, unlike a few recent remakes where they are exactly the same as the original, scene for scene(i.e. Psycho), he gave us a pretty cool back story about Michael Myers. I also thought having that girl Danielle Harris in it was cool too, since she did a few Halloween movies as a kid.

I actually happen to enjoy Rob Zombie movie, a lot in fact. I can understand why others don't, but I look forward to anything else he does.

everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure, and no disrespect to you, or your opinion, but i cant give any credit to zombie what so ever.

its not just zombie either (although he definitely is top tier on my list in crappy horror flicks), its horror in general, its just so frickin generic! you know whats going to happen EVERY TIME. i wish when they made horror movies they would remember that the audience DOES have an IQ and they can actually include a story that makes you think JUST a little.

like someone said earlier, the ring, although this movie has alot of critics, at least it had a story, one that actually kept you interested. the saw movies are great too. silence of the lambs, another good one... im just tired of seeing zombies, and an unstoppable psycho path.

devils rejects, the new halloween (ive only seen one or two of the old ones, and while they werent anything amazing they definitely were better than the new one), hills have eyes, texas chainsaw massacre, the list goes on!

just wish horror movies could have some innovation or originality to em, tired of seeing pointless killing from beginning to end. thats all it ever is, killing killing, killing, and wait! we have a small amount of story (which is horribly predictable, and always generic), usually letting you know that basically there is some wild ass mofo(s) out to hack some people up and probably eat them.
dont get me wrong, i know horror movies are usually centered around killing and all, but when thats ALL its centered around and nothing else, its not interesting at all.

there needs to be a balance between story (a halfway intersting one) and horror.

maybe im just not a horror fan or something, maybe i should just stick to thrillers!

everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure, and no disrespect to you, or your opinion, but i cant give any credit to zombie what so ever.

its not just zombie either (although he definitely is top tier on my list in crappy horror flicks), its horror in general, its just so frickin generic! you know whats going to happen EVERY TIME. i wish when they made horror movies they would remember that the audience DOES have an IQ and they can actually include a story that makes you think JUST a little.

like someone said earlier, the ring, although this movie has alot of critics, at least it had a story, one that actually kept you interested. the saw movies are great too. silence of the lambs, another good one... im just tired of seeing zombies, and an unstoppable psycho path.

devils rejects, the new halloween (ive only seen one or two of the old ones, and while they werent anything amazing they definitely were better than the new one), hills have eyes, texas chainsaw massacre, the list goes on!

just wish horror movies could have some innovation or originality to em, tired of seeing pointless killing from beginning to end. thats all it ever is, killing killing, killing, and wait! we have a small amount of story (which is horribly predictable, and always generic), usually letting you know that basically there is some wild ass mofo(s) out to hack some people up and probably eat them.
dont get me wrong, i know horror movies are usually centered around killing and all, but when thats ALL its centered around and nothing else, its not interesting at all.

there needs to be a balance between story (a halfway intersting one) and horror.

maybe im just not a horror fan or something, maybe i should just stick to thrillers!

Though I can't share your opinions completely on some of the newer horror installments, I definitely understand what you mean. Most of the more recent horror movies use the same formulas over and over. Not to mention much of the same special effects. After The Ring(which i loved), far too many movies are basically ripping their whole herky-jerky, rickety moving black and white ghosts. Boogyman, The Messengers and The Grudge come to mind.

It was out of my frustration for many of these movies that I started looking back to the 70's for older horror movies that are far less tarnished by the hand of cg and special effects.

Jeeze, I almost completely forgot one of the most demented movies I have ever seen:

Blood Sucking Freaks

So weird & sick, it makes me laugh. A lot!

I love horror movies. Hard to pick favorites, since there are a lot of different genres. I grew up watching old B&W horror and sci-fi. My Mom got me started at a very young age watching Dark Shadows, which was a vampire based soap opera. I used to watch the horror movie marathons they would run on Sunday afternoons. I love old Vincent Price movies, House On Haunted Hill, the Edgar Allen Poe movies, Witchfinder General, etc. I was into the Omen movies, Amittyville Horror, Dario Argento films. I love the Hellraisers, most of them anyway, some of the later ones actually have a cool edge to them, even if Barker had nothing to do with them. The Japanese horror movies can be creepy as hell, Ringu, Dark Water, The Grudge, way more so than the US remakes. Original Nightmare on Elm Street was awesome as well, but I'll watch any of them. Candyman was probably the best horror movie to come out in the 90s.

There is a lot of crap made for sure. It's funny how we get these movies out now that try to be shock types of films. They are playing to a newer audience, because any horror nut knows how much twisted stuff came out years ago. Cannibal Holocaust anyone? Not to mention all the Japanese shock films that came out for years. I don't get into them, but I've seen more than enough of them. I think as I've gotten older, I appreciate the psychological aspect of the films a lot more.

Mom got me started at a very young age watching Dark Shadows, which was a vampire based soap opera. I was into the Omen movies, Amittyville Horror, Dario Argento films. I love the Hellraisers, most of them anyway, some of the later ones actually have a cool edge to them, even if Barker had nothing to do with them. Original Nightmare on Elm Street was awesome as well, but I'll watch any of them. Candyman was probably the best horror movie to come out in the 90s.

Dark Shadows, what a great show. Also love old Tales from the Dark Side, Twlight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery and Tales from the Crypt.

Amityville, Hellraiser, Candyman and Nightmare on Elm St. are all favorites, as well as most of Dario Argento's work.

I'm noticing Hellraiser and Candyman being mentioned, but I've not seen either film. Are these "slasher" flicks or are they intelligent horror movies? I agree with Kenso...I share no love whatsoever for Rob Zombie. I rank him with Marilyn Manson...both are total jokes to me. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

First, Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" is a good movie. Its not a horror movie. If anything, it reminds me of Natural Born Killers. Another fantastic movie. TDR is about the characters of the first movie, and the postmath. What I love about the movie is the interaction of the characters. Its not a totally believeable movie, but it is a fun ride. There's no doubt that Rob Zombie likes to have some sex with his 'gore', but so be it. What I like about Zombie is that he isn't just about disturbing images, but rather the thoughts behind them. He isn't about showing disgusting things that would make somebody vomit (unlike Hostel), but about making people question the psychology and... the humanity of killers. Rob Zombie seems to have a general fascination with the underlying humanity and similiarities between a killer and a normal person. Original? Not necessarily so. But directors are not Socrates. They are a visual and story method, at times, of discussing/showing philosophies.

Second, I haven't seen Candyman. Might have to check it out. However, Hellraiser is one of my favorite 'horror' movies too. There's basically nothing frightening about the movie. Its just an interesting story, if not implausible and filled with holes. But the movie has its hooks (pun intended lulz), and is worth watching. Smart horror? I don't know about that. Depends on if you think the reactions of the people to the events in the story, or even why the story would be occuring where it is, are smart or not. Worth watching though. If for no other reason than cultural reference.

Poltergeist is also a favorite of mine. But again, I found nothing scary about it as a kid. I just absolutely loved watching it. I love the story, I loved the 'ghostly' 'otherworldy' aspects of it. As a kid I had a great fascination with the 'otherworld' and... still do. I know others think that it is incredibly scary. And surely parts are. Perhaps I was frightened at one time watching it, but those days are long past and I don't remember if I was... I haven't watched the movie in many years. I'm hesitant to watch it again as I have such fond memories of it that I don't want them to be ruined by a more critical eye or changes in expectations for special effects/acting/filming/music/etc. But I should.