Horror Movie Fans?

I'm noticing Hellraiser and Candyman being mentioned, but I've not seen either film. Are these "slasher" flicks or are they intelligent horror movies?

They are not slasher films, but they sure are visceral. "Candyman" is, to me, the benchmark example of how to mix an interesting story with gore. It touches on many urban legend motifs (kind of like the TV show "Supernatural" does now), so it has a resonance for anyone who has ever had a fascination for those kind of stories.

David Cronenberg's "The Fly" is another example of a horror movie that offers a more sophisticated story and drama along with some genuinely disgusting grue.

Kenso - I think part of the problem is that you are not seeing the right horror films. Sure, the commercial Freddy/Jason/Leatherface stuff is "kill kill kill," but to me, that style of horror is kind of like the nu-metal version of the genre. I don't mind that stuff in moderation, but it's not what I watch when I want to watch a horror movie.

Poltergeist is also a favorite of mine. But again, I found nothing scary about it as a kid.

The clown freaked me out as a kid. That was about it. But even today, I like the movie. The sequels are abysmal, though, IMO.

Kenso - I think part of the problem is that you are not seeing the right horror films. Sure, the commercial Freddy/Jason/Leatherface stuff is "kill kill kill," but to me, that style of horror is kind of like the nu-metal version of the genre. I don't mind that stuff in moderation, but it's not what I watch when I want to watch a horror movie.

i agree but its all that has been coming out lately too

i agree but its all that has been coming out lately too

Not true either. There are a number of independent releases, and many yes... are of that style, but some aren't. I think to find the good ones you have to look almost as hard... if not harder... than you do to find good heavy metal.

Sadly, from the ones I've seen, the Fear Fest movies didn't stretch/push the genre at all.

Not true either. There are a number of independent releases, and many yes... are of that style, but some aren't. I think to find the good ones you have to look almost as hard... if not harder... than you do to find good heavy metal.

Sadly, from the ones I've seen, the Fear Fest movies didn't stretch/push the genre at all.

you are right, but im just the average joe who goes to the theater every now and then with some buddies on the weekend, and occasionally picks up a random dvd.

as far as major releases go though, as in movies in theaters, horror movies of recent have sucked some abnormally large cock

you are right, but im just the average joe who goes to the theater every now and then with some buddies on the weekend, and occasionally picks up a random dvd.

as far as major releases go though, as in movies in theaters, horror movies of recent have sucked some abnormally large cock

The best ones that I've seen in the theater this year were:

Bug (its a really good movie, psychologically frightening at times)

The Messengers (again not a very scary movie, and relies on the same old cheap tricks, but I didn't hate it, and the story had its moments)

The Abandoned (Haunted house type of movie, but I really enjoyed the story and the acting. Had some 'scary' moments but nothing truly scary.)

28 Weeks Later - Zombie flick, high action, some good acting, tense story.

---

But yes I haven't seen any truly scary movies among 2007 releases.

Though at times 28 Weeks Later had me on edge.

---

Among 2006 releases a lot of people seemed to love The Descent. I thought it was ok. They had this whole character setup story which really didn't fit well with the rest of it, and had its inconsistencies. Some people thought the idea of women having the power and strength was original... well they never saw Alien I guess... or several others. Also the whole movie had little scaryness to it once you realize what was going on. Not a bad movie but not great.

I preferred The Cave. It was a supernatural movie, with alien/jaws types of scaryness but I just loved the characters and enjoyed the story.

The Messengers (again not a very scary movie, and relies on the same old cheap tricks, but I didn't hate it, and the story had its moments)

I preferred The Cave. It was a supernatural movie, with alien/jaws types of scaryness but I just loved the characters and enjoyed the story.

The Messengers did have a few moments, and it wasn't awful. But the ending was another overused concept of a ghost trying to bring it's killer to justice.

28 Weeks Later was pretty good. Not as good as the first, but like you said, very tense. I found some parts overwhelmingly tense, as you knew what was gonna happen but they certainly built up the suspense. Those zombies are fucked up, too. I liked the ending better than most people I talked with. Not a far stretch to imagine the U.S. fucking the whole thing up.

The Cave is one I had no intentions of watching all the way through, but did. And actually really liked it. The idea of being trapped in a damn cave miles below the surface with those creatures was pretty cool. Nice ending too.

Horror movies are by far my favorite genre. I'm wondering what are everybody's favorites/least favorites. A few personal favorites are:

Phantasm I, II and III
Susperia
Don't Look in the Basement
Halloween(original)
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness

A few that I've viewed recently are:

Dead-Alive
Halloween(remake)
Hostel 2
Silent Night Deadly Night Pt. 1 and 2

I believe that these two movies take credit for the most amount of theater blood used in a film, Dead-Alive moreso than Evil Dead II.

Mouth of Madness was a great movie.

My roommate is a big time crappy horror movie guy so I've seen movies like, Die you Zombie Bastards!, Redneck Zombies, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Dead and Breakfast and Death Bed: The Bed that Eats People.

So you see, I have a slightly distorted perception of a what a horror movie is compared to most people.

The best ones that I've seen in the theater this year were:

Bug (its a really good movie, psychologically frightening at times)

The Abandoned (Haunted house type of movie, but I really enjoyed the story and the acting. Had some 'scary' moments but nothing truly scary.)

28 Weeks Later - Zombie flick, high action, some good acting, tense story.

---

But yes I haven't seen any truly scary movies among 2007 releases.

---

Among 2006 releases a lot of people seemed to love The Descent. I thought it was ok. They had this whole character setup story which really didn't fit well with the rest of it, and had its inconsistencies. Some people thought the idea of women having the power and strength was original... well they never saw Alien I guess... or several others. Also the whole movie had little scaryness to it once you realize what was going on. Not a bad movie but not great.

messangers was eh..

descent i didnt really enjoy but was actually watchable and i could see actually enjoying it.

never saw the rest, and the first 28 days later was great until they got to the army camp, then it was crap... the rest of the movie it was just about a bunch of army dudes trying to rape some little girl.

i didnt go see bug cause the previews made it look terrible, i guess ill check out some more reviews and possibly rent it.

we need more movies like saw and the ring, regardless if you like them alot, you cant deny that we definitely need more.

i dont know if resident evil is a horror or not, but its got a nice direction. a ton of people hate this movie though, but i personally enjoyed them, although they stray from the game alot.

silent hill was nice too.

there are just WAY too many hack em and slash em movies with no story, and for some reason people keep coming back

there are just WAY too many hack em and slash em movies with no story, and for some reason people keep coming back

Audiences, or the killers who won't stay dead? ;)

FWIW, I really liked SAW and SAW II. SAW III just stretched believability too far. One thing I like about that series is how every film is different from the one before it.

Resident Evil was good... Resident Evil II was one of the worst movies I've seen.

Yet to see Saw. On my queue.

I don't see the appeal of Saw or The Ring at all. I thought that both had terrible storylines and were poorly made, but all I ever see is praise for the movie. Oh well.

I don't see the appeal of Saw or The Ring at all. I thought that both had terrible storylines and were poorly made, but all I ever see is praise for the movie. Oh well.

i personally like them both but they take alot of bashing as well as praising.

regardless if you like em or not you cant deny the fact that we need more movies with their originality