How about a Guitar Tone competition, round two?

I think everyone on this forum should donate a dollar to each individual on this forum who doesn't have a reamp box *cough cough* ola and poidaobi *cough* The worst part is they are two awesome contenders for this tone-off.

Is there really no other way to reamp than using a reamp box ?
Today I finally did my first 100% miced guitars tracking and it sounds good so far, so I`d like to be in for the contest.

Are we voting on a tune yet? How about a little Behemoth? "Ov Fire and the Void" has some crunch, some open chording, and some machine gunning in about 40 seconds? No cleans though...

Just a thought....

Bobby

I'd imagine it'd be hard to get someone to play those trem picks in the opening riff as cleanly as Inferno/Seth do though! (I know it's absolutely impossible for me, fast rhythm stuff has never been my strong suit :erk: )

Have drum and bass stems available for contestants to dial / tweak their tones to, but have their final submissions be guitar-only renders. That way everybody voting can load the entries into a DAW with the common, unmodified drum and bass tracks to compare apples to apples, AND we don't have to rely on an honor system or worry about final mix loudness.

Or have one designated non-contestant add the guitar-only entries into final mixes for voting. Either way.

I think its going to be obvious if someone tweaks the tracks. I don't think its necessary that we have one person check everything out. We can "moderate" ourselves on this thread.

a. Someone makes the drum/bass mix, compresses and eq's it and whatever. Someone brick-walls is and that's done.
b. In your submitted clip, drum fader has to be at zero.
c. You can do whatever the fuck you want to your guitar tracks, but it HAS to be the two DI's (one for each side) provided. I know this will keep people without reamp boxes out of the thread, but someone playing the parts themselves, which will vary from everyone else's, will likely but them at a negative handicap and invite more variables into the equation.
d. A brick-wall limiter with a out ceiling of -0.1 dB and the THRESHOLD AT ZERO, as in NO MASTER BUS COMPRESSION should be done on the 2-bus.

This way everyone has a fair shot. I think most of the people can keep honest around here.

That's a tad unfair.
I have no reamp box but I want to play too :'(

I'm happy to play it myself, I'm confident in my playig ability!
I'm more interested in a song choice.....

Maybe some dark tranquility???
At the gates?

Something that has chug, intriicate picking and so on???

I'd do it as the previous Mark's contest, the same rules, and only one person normalizing all tracks.
The track could have a guitar intro and then pim-pam-pum... purrummm! plashhh, bumbum... drum&bass. So we can rate the guitar soloed and also in a mix.
On 24th of september I'm going 3 weeks to Afrika... will the contest take too much time?

I could track whatevs pretty much, but I think to tone test it needs to be a more moderate paced clip. If you want me to do DIs just let me know what song and I can try and hammer it out in the next day or so, but I also need to know what would be going down as far as drums go.

Like I said, looking for a 30-40 second clip with some heavy chugs, some cool picking and perhaps cleans/a short lead. Any clip we can agree on with these qualities will work.

ahjteam has offered to make sure all the submissions are at -18db RMS so I think I'll take him up on that. As soon as we have the DI's and drum + bass we can get started on this. I'll upload a package for participants to download with all the files and info, and give everyone about a month to get their shit ready.