How and when were you introduced to Ulver?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
I purchased Bergtatt on a whim about 6 months ago, after about 10 listens to it I fully realized it's brilliance and have been scooping up all things Ulver ever since.

I wish I would have heard them sooner so I could have experienced their changes over the years, but I'm thankful that I heard them at all!

My friends were really into them before I became good friends with them. It took me a little while to get into the harsher stuff, i wasn't into metal at all. But i first got Bergtatt and PErdition City and loved them both. Ulver just seem so cool. Like if you asked me to name the coolest band, I would name Ulver. Everything about them, the music, the artwork, their style changes. I have only gotten Themes since then, but I'm getting the other two albums pretty soon.

I think one of my friends here, TheLedTool, told me to download a song from "Themes" and i liked it and bought it... and got "Perdition City" very soon after that. That was only last December. since then I've bought 7 of the 9 Ulver albums. Plus "1st decade of the machines" but that's other bands covering ulver... don't really know what to expect from that...

I was (and still am ;)) a fan of Arcturus and Borknagar, and was (and still am :D ) a big fan of Garm's vocals. I always wanted to check Ulver out because I knew he was in it, but wasn't able to get hold of any albums until Themes was released. Bought that, loved it, have now managed to track down most of their albums

my mate found Kveldssanger in our local collectors records shop for £1. we all went home and crowded round this little stereo with NO idea of what to expect.

i swear that for the entire album we were just waiting for it to explode into this extreme raw black metal ....but it never did. we all looked at each other and were like "wow, that's the weirdest thing i've ever heard!"

I think it was just before they released Themes... I've read a review on a re-release of Kveldssanger and as I was trying to find some good folk/acoustic stuff at the time I bought it. Then came Themes... and after a while the rest of the albums... I still remember the search for Silence... :D :D

I wasn't really introduced to them. I found out about them during Audio galaxy’s hay-day (R.I.P.). I think I was just getting into metal at the time and I was checking out all the bands on the "similar artist" section. They were categorized as metal at the time.

I think it was from some Century Media comp. that came with some Rotting Christ CD that I bought in like '97 or soemthing (A Dead Poem I think), but it had Wolf & Passion on it. I was heavy into Darkthrone at the time and thought "Wow, someone's beaten Darkthrone with crap production. I must own this!". I was already into Arcturus, but never really heard of Ulver.

My worst Ulver purchasing experience was when Themes... first came out and NOBODY had it. The last place I bothering looking actually had a copy, and I bought it, duh. Anyway I go to listen to the damn thing and guess what! I had fucking 2 copies of disc 2. I was pissed beyond repair, especially with having to drive 30 miles back to the store to return it and have to walk away empty handed as that was the only copy they had. Fuck!

I had heard about them for a long time, but it wasn't before I, by coincidence, found 'I Troldskog Faren Vild' in my .mp3-directory that I actually heard them. Bought the first 3 albums pretty fast after that, and bought Themes... and Perdition City some time after that. Love all of them.

My friend was a good artist and she wanted to sketch me and asked if I would take a look at her artwork on her website for her. Well when I got on this groovy pic faded in with some gregorian chanting over acoustics, I thought it was pretty intresting and it intrigued me but I never got to ask her what it was from.

About a year or two later I found out about Black Metal Radio and one day when I was flipping through episodes the same riff popped up by some band I had never heard of, the intro to her website was actually Ulver - Graablick Blev Hun Vaer and that caught my eye so I gave it a listen. Now coincidentially they are my favourite band. I was into Opeth at the time so generally their stuff and Bergtatt were somewhat related but I felt Ulver made such a better mix of the acoustic to hard stuff.

yourdeadgroom said:
I was (and still am ;)) a fan of Arcturus and Borknagar, and was (and still am :D ) a big fan of Garm's vocals. I always wanted to check Ulver out because I knew he was in it, but wasn't able to get hold of any albums until Themes was released. Bought that, loved it, have now managed to track down most of their albums
Ditto, but didn't really know about Ulver until a friend told me to download Lost in Moments.
:OMG: I simply HAD to get that album and did. I'm still tracking all the albums but they are getting more expensive and difficult to find. :yell:

I discovered them on my own free will back in 2000. I was reading the description of Bergtatt on a mail order, it sounded interesting, and so I bought it. Originally I just liked the first three albums, but have since gone on to love everything from Ulver.