How did you become a metalhead?

Also, Blind Guardian was my entry into the power/prog genres of metal which opened an entirely unknown world. I found "Ashes to Ashes" somewhere online (think it was "Lord Belsebub's Metal mp3s" or something). My first listen was kind of "Ok this is some wierd shit", then eventually became "Oh yes, can I get a fuck yes, ladies and gentlemen?!" Course I was alone so I just held my lighter up and commenced headbangery until I was nearly able to floss my teeth with the veins popping out of my forehead.

Too bad their latest album is [Opinion] One of the biggest pieces of unentertaining, all-around-disasterous-pieces of horrendous unbearable-crap-I-would-rather-bungee-jump-nutsack-first-into-a-truck-of-hippo-puke-than-listen-to-again that has ever polluted my stereo.

I'm not holding any hopes in hell that they could possibly redeem themselves after such an abortion-worthy piss puddle release that "A Twist of the Cocks" was. [/Opinion]

So anyhoo I just had to vent so don't take it too seriously mmkay? :D

Sooooo back on topic...

:kickass:

wow.....id suggest listening to Savage Circus.
think Imaginations from the Other Side

To me blind guardian still holds on to what it has been but to me the only song that supports that theory would be "This Will Never End" and maybe a little bit of "Otherland"

I can't tell you how or when but i heard a part of a song that Blind Guardian made for some german rpg and it sounded great. very classic BG. though there is controversy on the BG forum of if it will be on the next cd or not amongst the fans.

wow.....id suggest listening to Savage Circus.
think Imaginations from the Other Side

I have both those albums. Dreamland Manor is..... just ok. I love both "Evil Eyes" and "Born Again By the Night." That's pretty much it though. Jens Carlsson is one hell of a singer too! I just wish I could get a progress report or something on the new Persuader album.

Well... I started at 11 years old. I downloaded a song of Cradle of Filth by curiosity, and then started to hear some death/black metal. I was just like "alone" as none of my friends liked this kind of music, and at 11 years old, and being a girl... even harder to find!

After I got a little older, at 16 years old, I knew a friend who gave me a lot of Power/Heavy/Prog Metal music. I wasn't really used to it, but after listening to a few bands I just "forgot" Death/Black and started to hear Power-Heavy-Prog.
At 18 years old, knew some new friends who have a Thrash Metal band, and started to hear Thrash Metal.

Nowadays I mostly hear Thrash, Power and Prog.

(Australia's) The Angels - Howling. That got me into the heavier side of music during my mid teens... then I got heavier trying many different genre's of hard rock and metal... Queensryche had a huge impact on me... too many other great bands to list on this thread :kickass:

I think I started listening to evanescence when I was like 12. Then my friend introduced me to metallica. I mostly listened to that. Then, a friend of mine who curiously noticed that I like fantastic stuff suggested me Blind Guardian. I learned about iced earth from demons and wizards and from there I reached Pyramaze. I'm only into power metal, and a bit progressive. I hate the other kinds.

"It was so long ago and was so far away oh god it seems so very far"

Just joking, cousin of mine recorded for me a MC cassettewith all the crazy stuff (Helloween, Running Wild... that was back in 1989). Then came Metallica's Black album, but soon after I found Guns n' Roses and Meat Loaf (I am his fan until now). And about 1994 I started to listen a lot to German speed metal bands like Gamma Ray and Scanner ecce. Then it came with me like a Roller coaster. Since around 2000 I became a devoted fan of US Power metal (Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Sacred Oath...and so it goes until now). Pyramaze I found it actually only because of Matt barlow returning from his hybernate status, but soon after I found that this band is not only about Matt. Even Lance King was perfect and also the musicians are superb. Since this Year I am a fan of good Danish Prog Power (Pyramaze, Anubis Gate...).

Let metal be strong and let it live long.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

I actually have to thank MTV for introducing me to my first exposure to glorious Metal, in the form of Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years". This was probably around my freshman year of high school. (Before that, I was saved by Van Halen from Top 40 radio hell...) I fell in love with that song, so I blew my allowance money on Somewhere In Time. To this day, I sill consider that as a life-altering purchase. So, Iron Maiden was my first for metal.

Even though Metallica is the great introducers of Metal for most people, they actually come in second for me. Their Master Of Puppets album firmly cemented me into the metalhead way of life. Yes, I have my misgivings about their current direction, but Puppets is IMHO the best metal album of all time, for a great many reasons which I won't go into here.

And I have to respond to the thread starter on one thing. "Through The Never" is awesome! You can laugh but, for some reason, I think of Star Trek when I listen to that song!

I started off with Iron Maiden (Fear Of The Dark & X-Factor) and Manowar (Kings Of Metal) at the age of 15 in high school. Soon I discovered Metallica, Morgana Lefay, Pantera, Savatage, Blind Guardian, Dimmu Borgir and several other bands. Incidentally I read a review of Days Of Purgatory and bought the album without even listening to it. Well, since that day Iced Earth has been my favourite band. When I started playing bass I also started listening to many different styles of music (Rush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, T.M. Stevens, Marcus Miller,...) though metal was always the music I liked most. Somehow, about at the time when Matt left IE, my interest in metal diminished. I don't know excactly why, but I guess I got a little bored of so many bands who just repeated themselves with every record and even my favourite bands released weaker albums. Especially in the so called Power-Metal-genre every new band sounded like a mix of two or three others: all the same vocals, guitar melodies, double bass driven songs etc.

Now you can guess when I started to listen to metal again. Exactly, as I read that Matt returned to the metal scene. I had to check out the band he has joined and downloaded the songs on pyramaze.com... Yeah, I'm a Pyrawarrior ever since! That's exactly the kind of metal I always liked most: powerful guitars, a little progressive (breaks, rhythm changes) but still catchy, great melodies and real cool guitar solos! :headbang:

Now I am searching again for some other great bands and though it takes some time to find some real cool stuff, I see that there are still awesome bands to discover, one of them being Communic (thanks Muz :)). The thread "What are you listening to today?" helps as well! But I still doubt that another band will be able to top Pyramze, especially after listening to Immortal! It's getting even better with every run! :worship: