How Did You Discover Symphony X???

I'd been into Dream Theater for about 2 years in 1997, and was learning about other similar bands that I didn't know existed such as Shadow Gallery and Magellan, plus more known bands such as King's X, Rush, Queensryche etc. I asked my 'supplier' at the time who he recommended as being a good prog metal band and he said Symphony X (this being about mid 1997) so I bought The Divine Wings of Tragedy. Oddly at first I only took to a few songs such as Of Sins and Shadows and Out of the Ashes. Then a few months later I couldn't stop playing The Accolade then Candlelight Fantasia, and then the whole album fell into place. It wasn't long before I bought The Damnation Game and the debut album (plus MR's The Dark Chapter, as these were their only other albums at the time.

Symphony X have been my 2nd fave band (behind DT) for many years now. :)

I got a ton of music from Tubbs Mcgee, and the song Edge of Forever was on it. I really liked that song, so I got the rest of that album, and then The Divine Wings of Tragedy. I still haven't heard much of V or The Odessey, but they're one of my favorite bands. I think that they all have the most amazing technicality (spelling?) of all the bands I usually listen to.

About 6 years ago, S-X was recommended to me by someone on the Blind Guardian forum. After looking at some reviews on Amazon, I went out and bought V.

It took me a bit to get into it (my first thoughts were, wow, Metallica meets Yngwie!) but now they are in my top 5 bands.

After having been opened up to the world of metal by one of my friends, I started buying albums on Amazon, first by the bands whose songs he had sent me, then other bands which Amazon recommended based on that. Symphony X was one of those bands. Based on the reviews (and the little I could gather from the crappy samples), I decided to try V: The New Mythology Suite. Not too long after I got it and started listening to it, Symphony X became one of my new favorite bands, and to this day it is second to none for me. And V is still one of my favorite albums of all time (and my most played, by far).

i was in a cheesy cheesy cheesy band, and the drummer said, my main influence in my drumming is symphony x, in all honesty, thats an insult to jason but nevermind, he made me an mp3 cd of all the bands he listened to, and i did the same, he brought it round to next band practice and put on of sins and shadows, i was pissing myself laughing when i heard all the cheesy choir sections, and thought the guitar tone was f***king horrendous, then romeo got his solo out for the lads, and all was good.

ive only got DWOT Odessy V and twilight, but they are all pretty smooth, will probably get their new album day it comes out as well, the guitar tone has grown on me over the years

Me and my friends were big Dream Theater fans at the time (1998) and one of my friends had bought
a Winter Rose album (James LaBrie's band) and it included an InsideOut sampler cd.
The sampler had Symphony X's The Accolade in it and I thought it was just an amazing song.

Later that year we went to see Dream Theater in Helsinki and on the same trip I bought DWOT. It did'nt take me long to buy rest of the albums :kickass:

Reactions: progmetaldan
(I should've registered for this forum years ago)

I was into Megadeth about 3 or 4 years ago when my friend MrFast came over and brought V and The Odyssey. We listened to that in my basement, he showed me and my brother Rediscovery Part 1, the crazy bass part in Egypt, the beginning of Fool's Paradise, a part of The Odyssey, etc. I was amazed at the incredible orchestrations and different instruments they used and I instantly fell in love with them. At first I thought they had a whole orchestra playing with them and I thought:
An orchestra's playing with a metal band? That's weird but awesome!
I later found out the keyboardist was the orchestra.
Evolution/The Grand Design was a huge kick in the butt for me.
And that's how I discovered Symphony X!! :headbang:

I'd been into Dream Theater for a while. I Googled that band name just to see what would come up. I stumbled upon a website of some dude who was called Rob, like me, and was a bassist, like me. He was a diehard DT fan, but was also raving about Symphony X. I went on to some other sites and read reviews of the band and thought "sod it, I'll chance my arm and buy an album." So I got Divine Wings from Amazon. Listened to it and thought "Holy crap, this is exactly the sorta thing I've been waiting for" and I've bought every other album before and since. Job done yo! :kickass: