How did you get into Katatonia

_Transparent_ said:
what was your first experience of Katatonia? they're not the sort of band you hear about all the time, or hear on the radio. so how did you hear of the band?:err:

i don't remember so clearly the way it happened, i think i was doing the usual round in the local metal shop. the mate on the stand there had gathered a bunch of the new released cds as he used to do. i picked up at once the Discouraged Ones record! i've never heard something about a band called Katatonia back in these days, first of all the artwork held my attention.. it was an invitation for a dance with the lost souls... o_O

Me and my friend walked into a music shop where they were playing it, and asked what it was and bought it straight away.Next thing I know I'm meeting them backstage. Twas good :)

My first Katatonic experience was in the fall of 2002 when I downloaded Teargas and Sweet Nurse on KaZaa after a recommendation from a friend. At first, I didn't ...get it..., now I'm a fuckin' Katatonic soul. :Spin:

Mournful

My first experience with Katatonia was during their Jhva Elohim Meth demo time,when I was still doing Bestial Summoning and my magazine Daemonium Aeturnus.

Lost track of them after the first album but was reminded about Katatonia in America when I was visiting Devon of December Wolves.He pointed out that Viva Emptiness was a great album and I should listen to it.It turned out to be a great album.

I heard Dance of December Soul. I was at a friend of mine. Totally hooked i went off and ordered the album. For one reason i didn't keep tracking the band, so some day i was confrontated in a shop with Brave Murder Day. I bought that album, and ever since I’m totally hooked for a few months.
Then one day I think, this is enough! and I won’t listen to Katatonia for a few months. :Spin:

I bought 'Brave Murder Day' after listening to it in a CD-shop. I read about them in a metal magazine and it sounded promising. Indeed it was...

I bought "Dance of December souls" back in the day because their demos were praised but it really wasn´t up my alley at all. Then I got the one with the bird on the cover as a promo but that sucked as well.
So I´ve been anti-Katatonia for something like 10 years (the demo came out in '92 and DoDS in '93) and then I heard Viva Emptiness and was totally blown away by the extremely strong songwriting. Definitely one of the best albums of the year.

I got the first Diabolical Masquerade disc as well when it came out and that was an expected downer as well.

Oddly enough Bloodbath. I had picked up the CD and I went to the bands website. I knew who Mike and Dan were so I decided to find out about the other two guys. Needless to say, Katatonia became one of my favorite bands quickly.

I kept hearing about them on this forum and others, and figured I'd check them out. Bought both Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day back in June after someone recomended them, knowing i'm a big doom metal fan. I must say i was AMAZED by both albums :) I also heard "Ghost of the Sun" on the digital music metal station on digital cable back at home, and loved the song.

Now i just need more albums :)