How did you get into music?

Don't forget that Adolf Hitler was an Austrian as well.
And WWI was also caused only by the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and because of nothing else. :loco:

He was the only Austrian to ever have a number one hit in the USA, I believe. After Mozart, that is. :D

I must assume you're referring to Rock me Amadeus. Or was it Der Kommissar? In any case, I'm glad I decided to investigate him further (and opacity helped me quite a bit), because I think he's written even better songs than those.

@Matse: you seem to be cross-posting with the politics thread, where Misspelled Fingers and the Tinfoil-Hat Man are probably eagerly awaiting to hear the latest on a number of dictators, real and fantastic. I suggest you do some name-dropping and lament how little the public really knows about Sauron.

I don't really want to come off as too much of an ass... there's a forum for username changes. You can ask there to have yours modified to "Outstretched" and I'm sure someone will oblige. I'd do it myself if I could.

And mistakes happen. ;)

1. you didnt come off as an ass, at all
2. thanks for suggesting it, but i ll keep it this way
3. i m lazy, ergo see 2.
4. "thanks to rahvin for..." the lyrics on dark-tranquillity.nl, i just noticed, and i mean thanks from me too, i ve stared at those (printed) pages A LOT

I guess I haven't answered this more than 17 times yet, so here goes:

When in doubt, blame the parents in this case my dad (god bless his rotting
corpse). He was always pushing metal/rock to me and the first vinyl (yes, no
CDs back in those days) was Metallicas Ride The Lightning, this was in the
year 1984.
Tho I did have some other stuff that I had copied from friends, Iron Maidens
Piece Of Mind and Number Of The Beast, some Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Dio,
Motörhead, W.A.S.P. and KISS of course, all in all my neighborhood had quite
a few older (as in 14+) metalheads and they influenced everyone around.

Also, this was in my fathers collection :lol: Might still be somewhere, have to
look on my vacation.
Don't even ask me how I can remember that, got no idea.

I must assume you're referring to Rock me Amadeus. Or was it Der Kommissar? In any case, I'm glad I decided to investigate him further (and opacity helped me quite a bit), because I think he's written even better songs than those.

Yes, "Rock Me Amadeus" was his big international hit. There were a couple more of national ones like "Jeannie", which was also very controversial because of its theme. Well, to be honest, I don't have a single Falco record, so I am not really an expert. The whole craze only started after his death. But that's how it is in Austria: You have to die before you get famous! :D

@ Matse: Yes, it's true. Austria is the source of all evil. Why has no-ever noticed this before? Sheesh, if the USA get wind of this, they'll bomb us. So, shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

Austria is the source of all evil. Why has no-ever noticed this before? Sheesh, if the USA get wind of this, they'll bomb us. So, shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

I cannot confirm this piece of news - the only Austrian location I've ever visited was called Au, and I was with rahvin. The combination of the two cannot be evil.

However, there is a fair chance I will never see Vienna, seeing how I decided at an early age that I will never visit that city if not with my one tr00 love, possibly on honeymoon. In the persistent absence of such happy events, I'll just pretend that the whole city does not exist. :p

I cannot confirm this piece of news - the only Austrian location I've ever visited was called Au, and I was with rahvin. The combination of the two cannot be evil.

However, there is a fair chance I will never see Vienna, seeing how I decided at an early age that I will never visit that city if not with my one tr00 love, possibly on honeymoon. In the persistent absence of such happy events, I'll just pretend that the whole city does not exist. :p

Haha, that made me laugh. Well, I do hope you'll see Vienna some day (and this means that the other fortunate event will hopefully occur, too). Is Vienna really a honeymoon city?

What was that place called Au? This is normally a suffix found in placenames such as "Lobau", "Wachau", "Vöslau" etc. Of course, it has a meaning of its own ("floodplain") but I wasn't aware that it occurs as placename all by itself. I am learning new things! :)

Haha, that made me laugh. Well, I do hope you'll see Vienna some day (and this means that the other fortunate event will hopefully occur, too). Is Vienna really a honeymoon city?

What was that place called Au? This is normally a suffix found in placenames such as "Lobau", "Wachau", "Vöslau" etc. Of course, it has a meaning of its own ("floodplain") but I wasn't aware that it occurs as placename all by itself. I am learning new things! :)

Concerning Au, maybe Rahvin remembers it best, iirc he was the acting navigator, I was driving. However, it's close to the border. I think it may be this place: Wiki, but I'm not sure since I cannot read German.

And for the honeymoon idea - again, blame the Sissi fixation. It's the bane of my existence, although I never realized it until a friend of mine known by the unusual nickname of Stalin made me aware. :p

Concerning Au, maybe Rahvin remembers it best, iirc he was the acting navigator, I was driving. However, it's close to the border. I think it may be this place: Wiki, but I'm not sure since I cannot read German.

And for the honeymoon idea - again, blame the Sissi fixation. It's the bane of my existence, although I never realized it until a friend of mine known by the unusual nickname of Stalin made me aware. :p

Ah, so this place Au is in Vorarlberg. The aforementioned Allemanic dialect area. Very good! Never been there myself.

OK, you definitely shouldn't come here with your Sisi (or Sissi) fixation, since obviously we make a lot of cash from that, and there's plenty to see. You would not be able to go back to Italy without buying a genuine Sissi-wig and taking a course in correctly pronouncing "Fraaaanz!". :D

OK, you definitely shouldn't come here with your Sisi (or Sissi) fixation, since obviously we make a lot of cash from that, and there's plenty to see. You would not be able to go back to Italy without buying a genuine Sissi-wig and taking a course in correctly pronouncing "Fraaaanz!". :D

Yeah, I stand corrected on Sisi, being a tr00 fan I do know that it's the correct spelling, but I succumbed to being provincial. The thought of the wig scares me half to death, I already have a bad back, would probably never be able to stand up again.

However, I'm cheating. I'm steering clear of Vienna, but this summer I was in Budapest for a conference, and I pretended I was her all the time, wig or not. :p

Yeah, I stand corrected on Sisi, being a tr00 fan I do know that it's the correct spelling, but I succumbed to being provincial. The thought of the wig scares me half to death, I already have a bad back, would probably never be able to stand up again.

However, I'm cheating. I'm steering clear of Vienna, but this summer I was in Budapest for a conference, and I pretended I was her all the time, wig or not. :p

That hair must have a weighed a ton. No wonder she had permanent headache. Well, Budapest is as close as you can get to Vienna without actually getting to Vienna. ;) And historically speaking, of course, you were in the Austrian-Hungarian realms.

Let's see,

I really started getting into music when I heard Breaking Benjamin on the soundtrack for Halo 2, which got me into another alternative rock band called Chevelle.

After that, I found DragonForce and they occupied my interest for a while until I realized how bad they were.

DragonForce got me into some real metal like Blind Guardian, and I started listening to some metalcore like Killswitch Engage (I still like these guys a little).

After discovering more softer metal bands like Dream Theater, I finally found In Flames.

I'm sad to say that I discovered them through R2R and STYE.

After a while of listening to those albums, I slowly got into Whoracle, Lunar Strain, and TJR.

I became fascinated with melodeath and I got into the original bands after In Flames, At the Gates and of course DT.

Now my normal day of listening includes bands like In Flames, DT, ATG, Insomnium, Arsis, Amon Amarth, Carcass, Mors Principium Est, Nightrage, Vader, The Absence, Soilwork, you get the idea.