How do you listen to music? At home and on the go

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Hey guys/gals,

May have been asked before, but I'm just wondering how everyone listens to music at home and on the go. I just ended my rhapsody subscription figuring I would just buy a cd each month at roughly the same cost (give or take $5) and am debating how to listen to music until my cd collection grows.

Also anybody use tablets to listen to music in their car?

Edit: I'm currently ripping my CDs to WAV and using Foobar2000, which I used back in the day with the thought that maybe I might do two collections. One for home listening on quality JBL speakers (the brand our teacher has in our recording engineer classes) at 150$ an ear or direction, and then either rip them a second time to a lossy format for the mp3 player or just use spotify or another streaming service depending on if I get a tablet or a free smart phone trade in/upgrade or both seeing as spotify doesn't support WAVs :\

I ripped my entire collection to mp3 and use Audiogalaxy to stream to my phone and my computer at work from my computer at home. It is free and I absolutely love it. And it scrobbles to last.fm if you want.

I've ripped my collection to FLAC on a NAS and I use JRiver Media Center to manage it and my MP3 players. I also stream to my PS3 to play stuff in my living room.

I ripped my entire collection to mp3 and use Audiogalaxy to stream to my phone and my computer at work from my computer at home. It is free and I absolutely love it. And it scrobbles to last.fm if you want.

I recently found out about Audiogalaxy and am very happy I found it. It filled a niche I just could not fill for when I wanted to listen to music on the go as my digital music collection is entirely in FLAC; incompatible with most devices without firmware hacks and too big for virtually all of them. Having to convert all my music to lower bitrates to fit on portable devices was just too daunting a task for me to want to undertake it.

At home I prefer ripping my CDs to FLAC with EAC and playing them through foobar2000.

I have my entire iTunes saved to my iPhone because I'm a spoiled kid.
At home, I listen to *all* of my music on my JBL and KRK studio monitors because I'm a spoiled kid.
On the go, I have my big-ass Sennheiser headphones and a pair of Sony clip-onto-ears that sound really good for mixing for those and for earbuds and stuff.
But most of my music listening to is in my car. Iphone > Tape-Deck > Bose system, because I'm a spoiled kid.

Frankly, I know it's more fun to listen to things in better file formats, but I can't carry them around as easily and readily, and everything becomes mp3's eventually.
If I'm on my computer though, I listen to them in the best quality possible.

I listen to music using my CD's and mp3 on my car, iPod and iPhone, because I don't pretend that I can actually hear better quality music in other ways like 90% of some here do. (note that I do believe the 10% that have actually explained and proved why/how they do it)

Edit: Oh, and also, a LOT of Spotify. It really pays to have the $10/month subscription plan.

In the car/motorcycle, I listen to my iPod. I mostly just use my phone now since it's got enough storage now to hold enough music to keep me happy. Plus, I always have it with me and charged.

I rip all music to the computer anyway. When I've been in a permanent place, I'll have my collection on my desktop machine going to my stereo. Since that's been packed up a few years, and I live on my laptop, I've taken to listening to a lot of streaming stations. I still keep a collection for when I have no net access. On the laptop, I use a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

In the car I listen to my ipod. My entire collection is on it as 320kbps AAC files. At work I listen to Pandora because that's my only option. At home I listen to either CDs on my HIFI system or spotify if I'm on my laptop.

On the go, I have my big-ass Sennheiser headphones

I was in Scsystems in Greensboro yesterday doing some A/B testing some $150-$200 headphones which I need for class. My live sound professor recommended Sony MDR-7506s which he has used for years but they didn't have any in stock. My mate from class brought out some Shure 840s and another pair and I eventually went with the Shure 840s which should be arriving tomorrow. Absolutely needed them by next week and couldn't wait. I wish I could of seen the graphs of the frequency response, though, cause it was hard to tell if I was getting slightly more bass from the 840s or if it was the tune (a mix of Wavs my mate had)

Car! I have a 6 CD changer so I put in all my favorite CDs (at the moment) and rotate. I'm "old fashioned" like that. ;) I think right now I've got the 2 latest Accept albums, and the rest is Judas Priest.

I listen to music using my CD's and mp3 on my car, iPod and iPhone, because I don't pretend that I can actually hear better quality music in other ways like 90% of some here do. (note that I do believe the 10% that have actually explained and proved why/how they do it)

BTW, I don't store my MP3s in FLAC because I feel I can hear the difference. I know I can't. The reason why I do it is for archival purposes, so I can transcode those files into any format that may come up in the future.

As for backups, right now my NAS is a RAID5, so there is some redundency if things go bad. Also, my entire collection is in MP3 form in my car's player.

Amazon cloud is my friend. Web app at work, Android phone at home AND through the car stereo...and on my Roku on the tv in the living room.

Mostly in the car via the car radio with the iPod attached via USB.

If it's at home, it's normally on the computer with WinAmp. (Mostly 320k MP3s, either I've ripped myself or via eMusic)

Rarely I'll dig out a CD or (gasp) a record album!

Oh, I also occasionally use Spotify. It's not bad considering the price (free, for the moment at least)

Had I a vinyl player and a collection worth having, I'd be listening to vinyl all the time :O
That's how I'd listen to all of my classic ProgRock. I still have yet to hear Foxtrot on vinyl. :(