How do you think the world will end?

In 4 billion years the sun with swell into a red giant and overtake the inner four planets, and after some more time it will shrink into a white dwarf star.

Literally, the earth will be scorched into oblivion.

In 4 billion years the sun with swell into a red giant and overtake the inner four planets, and after some more time it will shrink into a white dwarf star.

Literally, the earth will be scorched into oblivion.

That doesn't mean earth itself will cease to exist though. It isn't even sure that earth will actually be engulfed. And even if it is that just means everything will burn clean off of it and all its water will evaporate leaving, as I said, a completely uninhabitable wasteland.

That doesn't mean earth itself will cease to exist though. It isn't even sure that earth will actually be engulfed. And even if it is that just means everything will burn clean off of it and all its water will evaporate leaving, as I said, a completely uninhabitable wasteland.

I'm pretty sure rocks that get within 5 feet of the sun disintegrate.

It really isn't in any way a scientific consensus that the earth is going to literally be destroyed is all I'm saying. The only things that are sure is that the sun is going to run out of fuel and go through the red giant/white dwarf phases and that earth is going to be left at the very least completely uninhabitable as a result of that (no water and no atmosphere).

Though I guess you could argue that being turned into a barren space rock is the same as being destroyed for all intents and purposes.

The sun doesn't need to engulf anything for it to obliterate it.

After the main sequence of a star's life cycle, before helium fusion begins, isn't there some sort of explosion which will wipe away all life on earth?

It's called a supernova and we don't get em.

It blows my mind to think thats theres stars thousands of times larger then the sun.

591px-Redgiants_svg.png

I've been under the impression that (for the most part) the only explosion deemed a supernova is the transition, after all fusion has ceased, into a neutron star.

It is.

Several types of supernovae exist that may be triggered in one of two ways, involving either turning off or suddenly turning on the production of energy through nuclear fusion. After the core of an aging massive star ceases to generate energy from nuclear fusion, it may undergo sudden gravitational collapse into a neutron star or black hole, releasing gravitational potential energy that heats and expels the star's outer layers. Alternatively, a white dwarf star may accumulate sufficient material from a stellar companion (usually through accretion, rarely via a merger) to raise its core temperature enough to ignite carbon fusion, at which point it undergoes runaway nuclear fusion, completely disrupting it.