How do you think you are going to die?

This thought has been on my mind a whole lot as of late.

I bet it is, Tully. And I feel compelled to ask this question. Many of us (or maybe just me) hope or like to fantasize about dying WELL, you know, with our boots on, doing something heroic or at least cool. However, it seems mostly posturing. You yourself, as a Marine, are facing that possibility more than the rest of us, and do you think to yourself that it would indeed be the better death, or is the prospect of it just crappy?

Those Taliban better watch the fuck out with Tully and crew on board.

I bet it is, Tully. And I feel compelled to ask this question. Many of us (or maybe just me) hope or like to fantasize about dying WELL, you know, with our boots on, doing something heroic or at least cool. However, it seems mostly posturing. You yourself, as a Marine, are facing that possibility more than the rest of us, and do you think to yourself that it would indeed be the better death, or is the prospect of it just crappy?

Those Taliban better watch the fuck out with Tully and crew on board.

No, we definitely all think it would be a good warriors death to die fighting. The concern is not getting the chance to go down with guns blazing do to IED's, Mines, Snipers, etc. Random death has no glory. We are always taught surrender is never an option, to die putting rounds down range. We always hear stories of men who are KIA with piles of the enemy all around them, fighting to the last breath. We hear our senior marines tell us about their friends who died fighting, how it is something they look up to.

That isn't to say that now that it is only a few days away the thought of incoming fire isn't a humbling and 'scary' (hard to describe why that isn't exactly the proper way to describe the feeling) thought.

man, Tully, you got balls brother ... big cajones.

your thoughts reminded me of that line in Black Hawk Down ... it was something like "when that first live bullet whizzes by your head, all the training and logic dissapears"

Probably Starvation/Hypothermia to be honest. I tend to push myself into ridiculous adventures that have more than a slight chance of ending bad.