How England will win the World Cup this year...

HOLY SHIT the croat didn't leave after his RED CARD and nobody noticed. hahahahahahhaahaha :lol:

US had a very impressive goal, but did nothing else. Didn't see the Italy game. The first 45 minutes, Japan played just about as good as one could possibly play against a seeminly rejuvenated Brazil after appearing less than spectacular previously (despite winning both previous games, mind you), including a nice looking goal. Then they just bombed in the second half. Their back row kind of just gave up. I mean, RONALDO had a multi goal game? Of course, he got some nice passes to set his goals up perfectly, but damn. I was really pulling for a Japanese upset. I have the other game recorded, and I heard that it's good, so I'll be watching it later.

That's not a bad idea. Allowing them to do what they usually do (drink, sniff petrol, smoke weed, and kill each other), in an enclosed arena with little to no safety risks for those watching would probably be the greatest thing ever.

This hippy girl who signed me up to this wilderness society thing last week was going on about how all we need to do is "forget that lines exist between our cultures, and then we can all come together". I nearly thought, fuck the trees, you're out of your fucking mind. But I didn't, because trees need love too.

I'll admit, I watched several games while on vacation this past week (I had cable) and they were as boring and annoying as I previously discussed. I have two main points of contention with soccer I'd like to discuss.
1) Why does the World Cup garner so much attention when, in its 51452345 year history, only some 6 teams have the won the fucking thing? I mean, if you're not rooting for England, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Spain, or Argentina, what's the point? Why not cut the field down to 16 and stop the round robin silliness? Why not a best of three series? At least the wins would have some statistical relevance.
2) How does soccer garner so much fanfare when the most exciting parts of the game are instantly nullified by a simple foul? If all it takes to stop someone from scoring is to knock them down (which will, of course, be greatly embellished by the ball-carrier) and you get to stay on the pitch (no penalty box), why is this game so exciting?

JayKeeley, I don't want to cause any trouble here so tell me where I might discuss these issues. I played the sport for ten plus years and ten years later, I'm wondering how I ever made it through a game without going crazy.

holy mother of all creatures big and small

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5676192

5691914_7_1.jpg

btw, dorian ... you make some valid points about the teams that always seem to qualify ... their nations have rich history in soccer and attract the best of the best.

and OFFSIDE is the stupidest rule in soccer ...

It would kill the game LOL

I don't think the OFFSIDE rule was there at the beginning tbh. I might be wrong and too lazy to check on wikipedia :p

why is challenging a goalie one one one and punishing the other team for not going back on D fast enough ... an offense?

and then for wikipedia to kind of make sense of it all ... also explaining why "park" games usually without the offside rule are higher scoring games

The purpose of the offside law is largely to prevent 'goal hanging' - i.e. an attacking player staying very close to the opponent's goal line merely to receive an attacking ball and then attempt to score. The ethic behind the law is that all attacking players should find a way past the opposing defence before, or whilst, scoring a goal.

Experiments have been undertaken whereby a football match has been played with the offside rule being ignored. Play becomes very stretched and aesthetically unpleasing, with clusters of attackers and defenders in each penalty box, very little midfield or 'proper' attacking play and a large amount of long ball play, with the ball just being hit long between one penalty area and the other.