How to tell a drummer his drums are all fake..

So, if I was to get a M-audio Profire 2626, would I need an AD/DA converter?

Could this be my signal chain:

Mic/Bass/Guitar--->ProFire--->Computer??

No and yes.

Read up on this stuff, we've got a forum full of it, plus all the other forums out there, not to mention the bazillion books on the subject. I think this is part of the stuff an AE just NEEDS to know these days :)

I am in a similar position to you, i own a bunch mics but only a few that i can really rely on. So what i offer includes recording real drums at another studio, but i definitely make a recommendation based on budget and the bands needs. Generally, if a band comes to you looking to record, they like what they have heard you do before. Be straight up and the band will know you're legit. They cant expect at 20 year old to have a million dollar studio, or even expect they'd ever get anything for their money at a big studio like hahah. The bands i produce are always happy, i have found they dont care how the sound gets there, it just has to be good. I let them worry about the performance!

Kris

Why is a 57 not a *super nice* mic? I use a 57 almost exclusively and prefer it to my at4040 on vocals even (sometimes). You can get a great sound from 57s. You may need a decent kick mic, or you could just trigger the kick.

edit: what are you using for an interface now? You don't seem to know a lot about it to have 4 or 5 bands waiting to track...

Why is a 57 not a *super nice* mic? I use a 57 almost exclusively and prefer it to my at4040 on vocals even (sometimes). You can get a great sound from 57s. You may need a decent kick mic, or you could just trigger the kick.

edit: what are you using for an interface now? You don't seem to know a lot about it to have 4 or 5 bands waiting to track...

I've been using a line 6 x3 live for years now, but it looks like I'm upgrading to a Profire 2626.

The bands wanting to track with me just like the product I push out. That's why their going to be recording with me.

I am in a similar position to you, i own a bunch mics but only a few that i can really rely on. So what i offer includes recording real drums at another studio, but i definitely make a recommendation based on budget and the bands needs. Generally, if a band comes to you looking to record, they like what they have heard you do before. Be straight up and the band will know you're legit. They cant expect at 20 year old to have a million dollar studio, or even expect they'd ever get anything for their money at a big studio like hahah. The bands i produce are always happy, i have found they dont care how the sound gets there, it just has to be good. I let them worry about the performance!

Bang on man, i have enough pre to record 16 channels. but i have about 5 mics i like to use. so i end up running triggers for the shells and mics for the cymbals and one of my sm57's on snare to add abit more of natural feel to the snare.

this works fine for me, use your not so good mics around the kit on shells, and then sample replace them.

Or even in worst case secnario why dont you just mic up the kit and run the cables back to the DAW........ then dont plug them into anything but dont leave the ends hanging out, then just program the drums???
(^^im not enodrsing what i just said above, so dont unleash hell on me......:)^^)

I usually rent a studio of my friends out when i do indie bands to be able to use mine and his microphones together so tht i can have a 100% live drum kit in the mix.

Just a thought though.

run on sentence alert

I have had a few bands that have came to my studio that have thought I was soooo cool cuz their previous studio experience was with a dude like this guy who charged them 500 bucks to record their last album with a mixer board plugged into the back of a dell computer

I have a Melo-death metal band coming into "my house" (studio). They really dig my recordings and begged me to do it. So I told them straight up you got a choice. I can mic you with my shitty drum mics (Digital reference) and get a shitty sound then trigger everything, or we can program it all.

They opted for triggering. Slate Digitals Trigger FTW!

I still have to go out Saturday morning and buy a decent set of OH's.

If your straight up with your clients then they cant really expect anything more then what you tell them. The best part of it, is if you end up with a great sounding production by the bands standards you look like the hero!

Seriously, if you really want to do this even for fun you should get yourself at least the bare minimum in order to do it right.

You can pick up a set of Digital Reference drum mics for $99
M-Audio Profire 2626 - $550
CAD CM-217 (OH's) - $120 ($60 each)

You can find used interfaces cheaper, but this will at least get you going in the proper direction for recording drums even if you are going to sound replace them.

Another option is to just get triggers in place of the drum mics. Thats not an option for me at the moment as I only have an 8ch interface. So getting a plugin like trigger was a must have in my scenario.

If they like your product and your product is programmed drums, then program the drums.
Done.
They get what they want(your skillz).

Seriously, normal everyday people don't even fucking know the difference between real and fake if you can do it decently.
I am amazed at the stupid little things i do that as my drummer put it once no one who ever listens to it will ever notice(although that isn't the point at all, the point is getting it how i want it to sound, even if no one else notices, i will)

Program the drums if thats all you have.
Save for an interface whilst still doing exactly what you're doing.

The Profire has converters for the 8 Analogue channels built in. So for up to 8 channels the signal chain you have there is exactly right.

If you want to get more inputs then you'll need a converter, or preamps with converters built in so you can plug into the ADAT input. The ADA800 I mentioned has decent converters, though the preamps suck. They're fine if you're just using it for triggers though.

So potentially if you start adding preamps your signal chain will look like this:

Mic's 1-8---->Profire Analogue Inputs
Mic's 9-16--->ADAT Equipped Preamp1-->Profire ADAT In A
Mic's 17-24-->ADAT Equipped Preamp2-->Profire ADAT In B
Mic's 25-26-->SPDIF Equipped Preamp--->Profire SPDIF In

All of which will go into your computer through the Profire's Firewire Port.

If you aren't looking to be a "studio" but rather a dude with a hobby (which is what it appears to be). Purchase an electric kit, plug it in midi, map it to Superior Drummer or SSD and BAM you have yourself everything you need. It's cheating but gets the job done since I already owned an electric kit for practicing with neighbors.

Just use the Glyn-Johns method and sample replace the kick drum.. it usually works well for me. and you then have a nice overhead sound and you can add tom-hits and snare later if you like (programmed) and blend to taste.

-Paul

how can you plug 3 mics into a POD X3 Live? have you done that before? I though it only had 2 inputs? Get a Profire dude, and read more on interfaces

My X3 Live is sitting in the same room as me.
A quick check confirms it has not 2 inputs, but only ONE mic input:lol:
It's decent for mic'ing up an amp with a 57.
Don't think it's gonna record a drum kit anymore soon haha

If you aren't looking to be a "studio" but rather a dude with a hobby (which is what it appears to be). Purchase an electric kit, plug it in midi, map it to Superior Drummer or SSD and BAM you have yourself everything you need. It's cheating but gets the job done since I already owned an electric kit for practicing with neighbors.

Nope, looking to be a studio, that's why I'm getting paid to do it.

:headbang:

Went out and bought a bunch of stuff to be ready. Got a nice rig now! muhahahaha