How's Gothic metal?

Mareg

New Metal Member
Sep 2, 2001
Visit site
I don't sure how's Gothic metal, Could you tell me some bands of this genre (Lacrimosa, maybe?)? And another question, what type of metal is Nightwish?

Goth metal bands......

Paradise Lost, The Gathering, Katatonia, Anathema, My Dying Bride, The 3rd & the Mortal, Rotting Christ, ...In The Woods (sort of).
Alot of Doom metal bands tend to get lumped in with the Goth crowd (and the same in reverse), so it's quite open to debate. The bands I've listed are all quite different though, if there is a type of approach you think you might prefer, just ask, someone here will know- maybe list some of the stuff you are into now. For instance, MDB used to use a violin player, and their songs are quite epic. The Gathering have a female vocalist and tend to base everything around her (she's good!). The recent stuff by Katatonia and Anathema is more song based, more mainstream rock sounding (but in a good way!), their older stuff was more guitar driven, with harsh vocals.

Hope that's helpful.

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
I always thought Type O Negative were kind of nu-goth... (I made that up, by the way). :)

Hehe I made a name like that up 2 :) Then I decided they were goth metal. But one thing I'm sure of. They're no goth. I consider the sisters, wolfgang press, bauhaus, some joy division and some cure etc. to be goth.

Originally posted by Beast In Flames
I don't think there's much difference between Goth and Doom metal. [/B]

Yeah, I think its largely up to interpretation. I consider goth metal to be more melodic, piss takey and camp than doom. All of whioch type O fulfill ;) (oh I musn't 4get cheesy either - how can sum1 not love them?)

Now I know what you mean...some people take Goth as the bands you mentioned which have more industrial tendencies. But I call the music with atmospheric keyboards or classical instruments and dark and melancholy feeling goth or doom...that's why I said I don't think they have much difference.
Maybe it's better to call the music you mentioned Goth and the one I call Goth, Doom.

Thanks to everyone.

Still a doubt, What kind of music is Lacrimosa? :confused: I think it's goth, but i'm not sure because i had not listen any of the bands that all of you mention :err: and I can't compare...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
I would have thought the epitemy of goth metal were type o negative. I really deon't consider ne of the bands you listed gothic metal. For example I think Anathema are most definitely doom

Yeah, neither do I, MDB, Anathema, Katatonia ect... will always be Doom in my eyes, it's just that alot of the mags and reviews etc.. that I read refer to those bands as goth metal, so hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Like I said, it's open to debate, I still get confused about it.........

Paradise Lost, The Gathering, Katatonia, Anathema, My Dying Bride, The 3rd & the Mortal, Rotting Christ, ...In The Woods (sort of).

Anathema, Katatonia, My dying bride, In the wounds are surely NOT gothic metal!!! What you're saying is blasphemy!!! :eek: :eek:

Still a doubt, What kind of music is Lacrimosa? I think it's goth, but i'm not sure because i had not listen any of the bands that all of you mention and I can't compare...

Well,Lacrimosa's sound has nothing to do with Katatonia's,MDB's, In the woods, Anathema's,Tiamat's etc etc sound
All those bands to my mind belong to the metal field (despite the fact that tiamat and anathema are actually no longer metal).... Lacrimosa was for the most part a goth band which later developed to a symphonic one with few metal elements... To my mind only "elodia" has many metal elements and "Stille" just very few..... the rest could be categorized as goth music,though i believe Lacrimosa have a really unique sound,still gothic but yet not as every other gothic band......
Which is your fave Lacrimosa album???

The main difference to me between goth and doom metal is that gothic metal is written mainly with the gothic subculture in mind, and specifically *for* them. Doom metal on the other hand, doesn't really do that.

Originally posted by Melancholia

Anathema, Katatonia, My dying bride, In the wounds are surely NOT gothic metal!!! What you're saying is blasphemy!!! :eek: :eek:

Well, Katatonia (in the past, atleast) have called themselves Gothic metal, so I'll accept that (Discouraged Ones fits my definition of GM). MDB absolutely have gothic elements, and they are metal, hence the combination, and they too have embraced the label. In the Woods (R.I.P), not really (that's why I said 'sort of' ;) ), but they do have certain elements (depressing atmosphere in places, among other things). I felt they were close enough to be name dropped though (hell, I'll take any chance to introduce them to someone, they were brilliant).

Sorry, didn't mean to make you go :eek:

:D

Originally posted by Mareg
I don't sure how's Gothic metal, Could you tell me some bands of this genre (Lacrimosa, maybe?)? And another question, what type of metal is Nightwish?

Nightwish is "we play well and our b*tch sings like she's in opera" metal. Too cold and unintelligible for me.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Well, Katatonia (in the past, atleast) have called themselves Gothic metal, so I'll accept that (Discouraged Ones fits my definition of GM). MDB absolutely have gothic elements, and they are metal, hence the combination, and they too have embraced the label. In the Woods (R.I.P), not really (that's why I said 'sort of' ), but they do have certain elements (depressing atmosphere in places, among other things). I felt they were close enough to be name dropped though (hell, I'll take any chance to introduce them to someone, they were brilliant).

It seems that opinions differ :)
To my mind the only Katatonia song that to my mind has supermany gothic elements is "Scarlet heavens".....
Songs with depressing atmosphere doesn't automatically make a band gothic..... I still can't find gothic elements in In the woods....
Well,we define gothic in a different way....To my mind the gothic sound has a special keyboard sound,a special drum sound,a special way of singing,even special beats etc etc... it's not just the gloomy atmosphere and the "goodbye cruel world" type of lyrics.....hehe
Moonspell is a perfect example for what i call gothic Metal.... I hate Type o Negative btw.......hehe

It's a matter of how one sees things....
No hard feelings :D

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Ok, its time.... to ask, best Paradise Lost album?

Gothic (which is actually no gothic at all :p ) and Draconian Times...
Actually it's hard to tell...all the albums up to Draconian times are of equal quality...... What I particularly enjoy in Paradise lost is that their albums are so different.....