I hate grunge.

Grunge, while certainly popular among rock audiences, had no crossover appeal.

Ummm? Haven't more than a few people in this thread alone proven that it did have crossover appeal. Without counting I see metal fans, doom fans, thrash fans, even black metal fans saying they liked Nirvana and grunge.

As we all know times change & people change too. At the end of the day the glam bands with more credibility managed to stay relevant and still release quality material. Bon Jovi, Motley Crue & Van Halen all retained popularity after the grunge explosion well into the 21st century. If anything, the grunge fad was a purge that cut away the worst of the glam bunch. I don't think anyone misses Cinderella or Stryper.
I am mocked here for my love of 'hair bands', when in reality back in 1992 there was very little difference between a band like Skid Row and a band like Alice in Chains (esp. given AIC's roots). And Pearl Jam's guitarists were avowed Aerosmith fanatics. The "Hair Metal" era, roughly '83 to '92 or so, represents the last time Heavy Metal was truly relevant. I can see the negative thoughts people have about it - being too corporate and gimmicky. But It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed.

Reactions: jimmy101
I am mocked here for my love of 'hair bands', when in reality back in 1992 there was very little difference between a band like Skid Row and a band like Alice in Chains (esp. given AIC's roots). And Pearl Jam's guitarists were avowed Aerosmith fanatics. The "Hair Metal" era, roughly '83 to '92 or so, represents the last time Heavy Metal was truly relevant. I can see the negative thoughts people have about it - being too corporate and gimmicky. But It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed.
Bloody oath, glam in the 80's was incredibly influential. You can also add Pantera to that list.

Admittedly I can relate to Nick on a level, I remember openly despising the hardcore/deathcore bands of the 2000's with a passion.

:lol:
So anyway, what do you think about death metal?

Don't get me started on death metal, it killed off glam metal and pop music and is responsible for the birth of the Kardashians and Miley Cryus. You should be ashamed of yourself for bringing it up.

Reactions: CiG
:lol:

Not relevant because of "hair metal" though.

So anyway, what do you think about death metal?
Death metal doesn't appeal to me much. I have to be able to hear what the vocalist is singing. I tend to favor music with a stronger sense of melody, though I have nothing against death metal.

Reactions: CiG
I don't mind some of it, just depends on what exactly we're talking about when we say "hardcore" and "deathcore."
Mainly Killswitch Engage, HIM, Parkway etc. Pretty much any band that had a multiple word present-tense band name (Bring me the Horizon, Asking Alexandria, Design the Skyline).

That being said I didn't mind a bit of Chimaira on occasion.

Death metal doesn't appeal to me much. I have to be able to hear what the vocalist is singing. I tend to favor music with a stronger sense of melody, though I have nothing against death metal.

Fair enough. But yeah like Tech said, we're just having some banter. You should join in on the 'best albums of the year' games.

Metal had some brief time of overexposure thanks to Metallica and a few others, then at early 90's returned to the smelly garage it came out and grew. It started to smell in such intensity it had to come out again.

From Nick's first post in April last year:
When I think of 1992, I remember "Let's Get Rocked"-era Def Leppard and Slaughter alongside Nirvana on MTV. It's not like September 1991 hit and Bret Michaels suddenly had to go get a job at IHOP. What really makes this time special I think is it's the last time young people were all bonded together by a common music culture. This was pre-internet, and everyone still watched the same videos on MTV, whether it was Dr. Dre, Def Leppard or Metallica.

Posted today:
Yes. Not just Metallica and Pantera. When I think of 1992, I remember "Let's Get Rocked"-era Def Leppard and Slaughter alongside Nirvana on MTV. It's not like September 1991 hit and Bret Michaels suddenly had to go get a job at IHOP. What really makes this time special I think is it's the last time young people were all bonded together by a common music culture. This was pre-internet, and everyone still watched the same videos on MTV, whether it was Dr. Dre, Def Leppard or Metallica.