I hate grunge.

giphy.gif

Who's the tallest so we can get the order right. I'm 6"3'

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
How do we go from bands like Guns N Roses, Mettalica, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue doing sold out stadium gigs of tens of thousands to not even finding a mention of metal in popular culture?
In case you were living under a rock, Metallica & Pantera released #1 albums in 1991 & 1994, respectively. Seems to me that metal was still pretty popular.

Are you sure the 1980s wasn’t a great decade to be a metal fan? I want that back.

No one said it wasn't, but some of us came out of the 80's and realised there was other music to listen to and not hate.

Why? What is wrong with you?

Most 80's metal bands recorded their best shit before and after their moment in the spotlight was over.

Nirvana is responsible for the death of metal in mainstream radio and TV.

Wrong. Even if I accept your retarded view of music history that Nirvana destroyed mainstream metal, it wasn't Nirvana that did it, it was the corporations you love so much. You're assbackwards with your blame, Nirvana didn't have the power to destroy anything and if no corporations had come to them and promoted them they'd be just another 90's cult band people talk about.

How do we go from bands like Guns N Roses, Mettalica, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue doing sold out stadium gigs of tens of thousands to not even finding a mention of metal in popular culture? A lot of modern metal has just gotten too radio unfriendly to get a lot of mainstream attention and air-time. Screaming vocals turn a lot of people off.

I don't give a shit about stadiums and radio hits, that's for pop music as far as I'm concerned. You seem to say on one hand that Nirvana ruined metal by making it popular to write less proficient music and sing less professionally, yet here you are complaining about the most unimportant elements of metal. I'm so sorry that Nirvana ruined the opportunity for some new metal band who sounds like "The Final Countdown" to buy themselves a private jet, I care more about the music itself.

80's/early90's were golden age of metal? There were a ton of good metal bands in the 80's. Abundance of bands were releasing almost consistently awesome albums. The 80's/early 90's was the best time for metal because it was everywhere, the age was metal. Stadium tours, albums in the charts, the era of high sales, magazines, fan clubs. So many amazing underground bands were still out there. Shit, Maiden, Motley Crue, Poison, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Dio and Ozzy were kings! Are you sure the 1980s wasn’t a great decade to be a metal fan? I want that back.

This is all just a nostalgia trip for you, that's all. You're emotionally hurt by what happened in the 90's. You're closed-minded in the worst way possible, because of the era it comes from you hold dogshit "hair metal" up as the pinnacle of music. Motley Crue? Poison? G'N'R? Pure dogshit. Granted you also mentioned many of the greatest 80's bands but you ignore so much good music at your own loss.

All music genres have their time in the spotlight and metal was never destined to remain on top in terms of money-making ability forever. All genres have their time, metal had its time too and then it went back underground where it belongs.

Reactions: jimmy101
In case you were living under a rock, Metallica & Pantera released #1 albums in 1991 & 1994, respectively. Seems to me that metal was still pretty popular.
Yes. Not just Metallica and Pantera. When I think of 1992, I remember "Let's Get Rocked"-era Def Leppard and Slaughter alongside Nirvana on MTV. It's not like September 1991 hit and Bret Michaels suddenly had to go get a job at IHOP. What really makes this time special I think is it's the last time young people were all bonded together by a common music culture. This was pre-internet, and everyone still watched the same videos on MTV, whether it was Dr. Dre, Def Leppard or Metallica. The grunge movement really started in 1992, but it wasn't a "shock" or something, and it actually COEXISTED with the successful hair/heavy metal bands. The hype was huge, but no one took the music seriously. Nevermind, elevated that scene and gave it pop credibility, but that is all. This will sound stupid, but I honestly think Weird Al was responsible for getting more kids into Nirvana than Nirvana themselves were. Mostly I remember kids making fun of them for the lyrics being "impossible" to understand when "Teen Spirit" first came out, and those of us who were into music were still too wrapped up in our Poison and Motley Crue or Guns n Roses or whatever albums to care much for a while.

For me I remember just not "getting" SLTP at all when it came out. Why the hell is MTV playing this crap and not the new Slaughter video!? But as for the other kids? I don't think you really saw the changeover take place until at least late 1992. I'd bet everything I own that more kids in this area bought Def Leppard's Adrenalize than bought Alice in Chains' Dirt that year. Plus, I don't think I ever really saw any of the huge backlash against metal/hair-metal like you read about around here - all the kids I knew who loved grunge also still liked Guns 'N' Roses and Ozzy and Metallica and whatnot. You'd probably get made fun of if you were still a huge Winger fan or something, but it seemed like most kids just went along with the "alternative revolution" because that was what was happening at the time, not because they suddenly woke up and hated metal one day. Guns'n'roses were the bigger band. they had bigger concerts and the hype around Use Your Illusion albums was HUGE. At the time, GnR was treated as a superstar band. I was a teen in 1992 (the year both UYI1&2 and Nevermind had been out for a while) and in my class G'N R (as well as Def Leppard) was massive with a bunch of hits while Nirvana was a cool side-thing with one big hit that most people liked but not obsessed over. That's how I remember the moment of the releases. A couple of years later G N' Rwas no longer cool and Nirvana was the ultimate cool. GnR were playing stadiums while Nirvana played arenas and large theatres. They fronted every magazine , every time you put MTV on it was G n R. Guns' songs, musicianship, diversity and raw talent were superior to Nirvana, plus they appealed to a wider audience.

Teen Spirit hit in the fall of 1991. It wasn't an overnight thing, but 1992 saw a quick rise in the grunge bands. I remember noticing how depressing music became around that time. Around 1994, I remember Korn, Wu Tang Clan, Dr Dre, Tool, and Nine Inch Nails on heavy rotation on MTV. That's when I quit listening to modern music for several years. Whenever I read things regarding the way things changed in the early 90's, it seems like a lot of people either think or convince themselves that it all happened in an instant. The way I remember it was more like a snake shedding its skin. Not a snail's pace, but like a flash of lightning either. Just gradual. "Hair" metal was still pretty popular until late 1992, even mid-1993. Warrant's Dog Eat Dog (1992) went Gold, Leppard's Adrenalize (1992) went triple platinum, Scorpions Face the Heat (1993) went to #21 and probably close to Gold, Winger's Pull went to #41 in early 1993. Etc. After Smells Like Teen Spirit, there were still hair bands hitting the top 10 all the way until 1993, when Firehouse's "When I Look Into Your Eyes" became the last top 10 hit in the hair metal genre. Between 1991 and 1993, except for Smells Like Teen Spirit, not a single grunge song cracked the top 10, despite heavy MTV airplay. Only a few, softer alternative hits, like Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train", and Spin Doctors "Two Princes", became genuine hits. Grunge, while certainly popular among rock audiences, had no crossover appeal.

Yes. Not just Metallica and Pantera. When I think of 1992, I remember "Let's Get Rocked"-era Def Leppard and Slaughter alongside Nirvana on MTV. It's not like September 1991 hit and Bret Michaels suddenly had to go get a job at IHOP. What really makes this time special I think is it's the last time young people were all bonded together by a common music culture. This was pre-internet, and everyone still watched the same videos on MTV, whether it was Dr. Dre, Def Leppard or Metallica. The grunge movement really started in 1992, but it wasn't a "shock" or something, and it actually COEXISTED with the successful hair/heavy metal bands. The hype was huge, but no one took the music seriously. Nevermind, elevated that scene and gave it pop credibility, but that is all. This will sound stupid, but I honestly think Weird Al was responsible for getting more kids into Nirvana than Nirvana themselves were. Mostly I remember kids making fun of them for the lyrics being "impossible" to understand when "Teen Spirit" first came out, and those of us who were into music were still too wrapped up in our Poison and Motley Crue or Guns n Roses or whatever albums to care much for a while.

For me I remember just not "getting" SLTP at all when it came out. Why the hell is MTV playing this crap and not the new Slaughter video!? But as for the other kids? I don't think you really saw the changeover take place until at least late 1992. I'd bet everything I own that more kids in this area bought Def Leppard's Adrenalize than bought Alice in Chains' Dirt that year. Plus, I don't think I ever really saw any of the huge backlash against metal/hair-metal like you read about around here - all the kids I knew who loved grunge also still liked Guns 'N' Roses and Ozzy and Metallica and whatnot. You'd probably get made fun of if you were still a huge Winger fan or something, but it seemed like most kids just went along with the "alternative revolution" because that was what was happening at the time, not because they suddenly woke up and hated metal one day. Guns'n'roses were the bigger band. they had bigger concerts and the hype around Use Your Illusion albums was HUGE. At the time, GnR was treated as a superstar band. I was a teen in 1992 (the year both UYI1&2 and Nevermind had been out for a while) and in my class G'N R (as well as Def Leppard) was massive with a bunch of hits while Nirvana was a cool side-thing with one big hit that most people liked but not obsessed over. That's how I remember the moment of the releases. A couple of years later G N' Rwas no longer cool and Nirvana was the ultimate cool. GnR were playing stadiums while Nirvana played arenas and large theatres. They fronted every magazine , every time you put MTV on it was G n R. Guns' songs, musicianship, diversity and raw talent were superior to Nirvana, plus they appealed to a wider audience.
As we all know times change & people change too. At the end of the day the glam bands with more credibility managed to stay relevant and still release quality material. Bon Jovi, Motley Crue & Van Halen all retained popularity after the grunge explosion well into the 21st century. If anything, the grunge fad was a purge that cut away the worst of the glam bunch. I don't think anyone misses Cinderella or Stryper.

Reactions: The A-Man
Teen Spirit hit in the fall of 1991. It wasn't an overnight thing, but 1992 saw a quick rise in the grunge bands. I remember noticing how depressing music became around that time. Around 1994, I remember Korn, Wu Tang Clan, Dr Dre, Tool, and Nine Inch Nails on heavy rotation on MTV. That's when I quit listening to modern music for several years. Whenever I read things regarding the way things changed in the early 90's, it seems like a lot of people either think or convince themselves that it all happened in an instant. The way I remember it was more like a snake shedding its skin. Not a snail's pace, but like a flash of lightning either. Just gradual. "Hair" metal was still pretty popular until late 1992, even mid-1993. Warrant's Dog Eat Dog (1992) went Gold, Leppard's Adrenalize (1992) went triple platinum, Scorpions Face the Heat (1993) went to #21 and probably close to Gold, Winger's Pull went to #41 in early 1993. Etc. After Smells Like Teen Spirit, there were still hair bands hitting the top 10 all the way until 1993, when Firehouse's "When I Look Into Your Eyes" became the last top 10 hit in the hair metal genre. Between 1991 and 1993, except for Smells Like Teen Spirit, not a single grunge song cracked the top 10, despite heavy MTV airplay. Only a few, softer alternative hits, like Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train", and Spin Doctors "Two Princes", became genuine hits. Grunge, while certainly popular among rock audiences, had no crossover appeal.
Exactly right, grunge/glam had no crossover appeal. Grunge fans wouldn't have ever liked glam anyway. So it's not like everyone jumped off the glam ship and onto the grunge train. Grunge was more for punk fans than anything. And as you said, the glam bands still had their audience & people were still buying their albums en masse.