I hate grunge.

If I don't like a genre of music I won't listen to it. I just don't see the point of obsessing over it and blaming one singular person for the supposed downfall of music.

I mean, I dislike Poison & Twisted Sister as much as the next man, but I'd never start a thread about it to try & convince a bunch of people I don't know that one genre of music is better than the other.

Nicks thoughts arrive like butterfly's ...

Check out the extended solo during this live rendition of Even Flow. Sure as hell disproves Nick's theory that grunge guitarists can't play leads (gotta watch it on youtube only for some reason).

I don't hate Twisted Sister. First two records are pretty sweet. Much like Europe, I think they're dismissed entirely because they became pure mainstream cheese.

No! They can't play their instruments... they're all bout their look... They're responsible for metal disappearing from the mainstream....wah, wah, freakin' wahhhhhh

I don't hate Twisted Sister. First two records are pretty sweet. Much like Europe, I think they're dismissed entirely because they became pure mainstream cheese.

I still listen to TS occasionally, the chessyness of Come Out And Play and songs like Leader Of the Pack are a bit of fun. But I also don't have a problem listening to Poison or Motley Crue or any of the other bands Glamorous Nick says were the best things to hit music, I just don't spend a great deal of time listening too them.

The key is to be self-aware about what those bands are. Stop acting like they were the pinnacle of metal when in reality they were a continuation of glam rock which was all about image, bitches, mainstream success, materialism etc. Nirvana didn't destroy music with an emphasis on emotion and rawer less technical composition, they were following in the footsteps of Neil Young for example.

That said, I can't handle much "hair metal" myself. Early Twisted Sister was a much more heavy metal band, and crossed over into that junk with Stay Hungry.

Reactions: jimmy101
I like anything my pals like. If you or CIG post a song I listen to it and goddamn it I like it cause my pals said so, but those other shitbags on this forum I refuse to listen too!!
giphy.gif

OMG that was amazing. The musicianship, the skill, the stunning riffs and that screaming wonderful singing. I love this so much it's going to be my album of the year even before listening to the whole album.

Reactions: CiG
Thank fuck for that. Thanks Nirvana.
Why? What is wrong with you? Nirvana is responsible for the death of metal in mainstream radio and TV.
How do we go from bands like Guns N Roses, Mettalica, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue doing sold out stadium gigs of tens of thousands to not even finding a mention of metal in popular culture? A lot of modern metal has just gotten too radio unfriendly to get a lot of mainstream attention and air-time. Screaming vocals turn a lot of people off.
80's/early90's were golden age of metal? There were a ton of good metal bands in the 80's. Abundance of bands were releasing almost consistently awesome albums. The 80's/early 90's was the best time for metal because it was everywhere, the age was metal. Stadium tours, albums in the charts, the era of high sales, magazines, fan clubs. So many amazing underground bands were still out there. Shit, Maiden, Motley Crue, Poison, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Dio and Ozzy were kings! Are you sure the 1980s wasn’t a great decade to be a metal fan? I want that back.