"I have returned from a long abscence!" <----You? Post HERE!

Originally posted by rahvin

:lol:
sort of like my english being slightly too obscure, my recollections of the times when i studied ancient greek being very feeble, my use of the word "channel" limited to the wheel of time saga? ;)

rahvin. (your personal problem)
no, sort of like you being rude and impolite :)

Siren (pifff)

Originally posted by Siren

no, sort of like you being rude and impolite :)

me, rude?? :confused: it's not as if i even remarked the correct spelling is "unpolite", or something. :devil:
however, i still think you should channel some more meat on your posts... but i'll try to beg for your forgiveness, here:
malelovies.gif

rahvin. (all is bu of love)

Check your books better, "impolite" is perfectly correct :)

I will happily try to channel some more meat in my posts, maybe some vegetables too, but that's not always easy for reasons you can't understand :heh:

And as for forgiveness, you will have to try more :D

Siren (love sucks)

since it's definitely less used, i had to brag about a bit just for the sake of it. :)
:rolleyes: Iirc, "impolite" is the term i learned to use in my english classes, instead of "unpolite". So far i thought "unpolite" was wrong, but it seems it's a correct term as well.

Siren (meat)

Originally posted by Qsilver
btw, my dictionary doesn't know word unpolite :p

checking resources online, i found out many dictionaries with both, no difference between words pointed out, both listed under each other's entry as synonyms, both listed as the opposite of "polite". my mono-language dictionary and the ones here at the office sport unpolite and impolite indifferently. i also found english modern literature with unpolite and impolite sentences in them.
do i have to ask an english teacher? :p

rahvin.

Originally posted by Thanatos
yes, you have to :p

all things considered, given the fact that in all likelihood i'm gonna have to teach basic english for the uni to a group of students in the near future, pretty soon i'll be an english teacher and i could answer my own question.
jeez, wonder what i'm gonna reply... :loco:

rahvin.

checking resources online, i found out many dictionaries with both, no difference between words pointed out, both listed under each other's entry as synonyms, both listed as the opposite of "polite". my mono-language dictionary and the ones here at the office sport unpolite and impolite indifferently. i also found english modern literature with unpolite and impolite sentences in them.

rahvin.

strange, neither my online dictionary nor traditional one (a big book) have ever heard about it. But unpolished rice is there if anyone is interested ;)

(I hope I'm not starting a food thread here :rolleyes: )

rahvin.
Unpolite sounds like an aberration to me. :p
I looked it up in monolingual dictionaries and apparently the word doesn't exist as unpolite but it does as impolite. I looked in Longman, Oxford and Cambridge, hence I can conclude it's incorrect. :p
Maybe it's a new form, I'm not sure. Now I'll have to ask my English professor.

@astarte: yep, it's nice to see you here although your fonts are so small they remind me of my relatives under the mountain.. :D as for the unpolite debate (heh) maybe i was wrong, but i've heard it said more often than the other and found it on my longman (monolingual) and, among other sites, here: http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/Unpolite/ . oh, well, after all these research i expect at least we all win some prize. :hotjump:

rahvin. (un-imp-ressive)

PS: If you have any personal problems, it's better if you keep them out of the board, or at least you could channel them in the dream thread.

Gotta love entropy visibly rising :lol:

hyena (violent bu)

@rahvin: Eipe o gaidaros ton peteino kefala :)
:lol: ntropi re! :p

languages change constantly,so i guess unpolite is used (even though i haven't heard it....yet maybe have used it by mistake :loco: ) in an informal way..hmm you know "lazy" english,slang english,more free english or sth...I mean i wouldn't frown if i heard someone saying it,but i would automatically say "wf??" if i saw it written in an official text....
It doesn't seem to be the correct/usual form,but maybe it's acceptable in some cases...

and oh,i have returned from a long abscence :D or so i feel..i actually don't recall when i posted here lately..... well anyway...i've lost much stuff let alone that i can't participate to discussions on the new stuff,simply because i haven't listened to the monochromatic song i d/l last week.... because hmmm i want to listen to it with a friend and the whole thing got postponed :cry:

Welcome back Mel :)
Hope you can fully participate again soon :)

It seems i'll be out for a while, or at least not so active...