"I have returned from a long abscence!" <----You? Post HERE!

Welcome back, Wolfy! :wave:

Okay, since the Wolfman (welcome back!) bothered to dig up this thread, I thought I'd post here as well. My trip to England was all in all excellent - good beer, nice people and lots to see. One of the best trips I've had. I also had my 26th birthday (as noted by the nice people in the other thread), spent some time traveling around Finland and simply enjoyed my life to the fullest.

And I got a job. My first real, fulltime job with good pay (2200€ per month, an excellent salary in this very underpaid profession). A job that shall start next month and last at least until August 2007. It centers around young people, who have committed some crimes and have a high risk of getting into a "crime-cycle", unless their ways of life are changed. My work is a rapid intervention model, meaning that I will try to get a contact to those youngsters as soon as the social workers or police pass their information to me. It is a very challenging job, certainly a lot more challenging than anything I have ever done before.

This week I have tried to orientate to my upcoming tasks by spending some time with my future co-workers. The first words from my boss to me: "Don't take too much pressure upon yourself, but we expect a hell of a lot from you." :err: Makes me a bit nervous I have to admit, especially as there are dozens of things about the work that are still very unclear to me.

Anyways, that's where I'm going to work for the next two years, so I suppose you will be hearing how I manage, once in a while.

-Villain

Villain: good luck with that :) My sister-in-law's mother has been in a similar line of profession and at the time she was about 23 years old and only had experience from working with orphans (the really young ones that were then relatively free from any psychological damage) but did well despite the odds being much against her. If I remember correctly, you have experience so the odds should be considerably better for you.

And as for being back, well I'm not really, but I still read this board from time to time so I suppose I might post from time to time as well... I'm currently doing a 4-week internship at the local Tourist Office, which is good. I could rant rather elaborately about how thoroughly crap it is that no one can give me a definite answer to whether I'm allowed to continue throughout May as well, but I won't. So for now I'll just be unemployed again from May onwards. Oh well.

Northern Lights: Thank you for the encouragement and yes, I do have some experience working with this kind of youngsters. Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were some "old friends" of mine among them. The thing is, this is the very first time I have this much responsibility; the area I work on is about the size of Belgium (or so I was told yesterday) and with several hundred thousand people (I don't actually know how many). I'm supposed to build professional networks and utilize them to get most of our target youngsters working with us as effectively as possible. They have estimated that by the end of August 2007, I should have worked with 80-90 youngsters. Which is pretty damn lot, if you ask me, considering how much work there will probably be with each of them. The second words of my boss were: "Do it as you see fit, make this system look like you."

Misanthrope: Yep, I probably won't be here much more often than I'm nowadays, but I'll try to keep you posted and I will certainly read the forum at least weekly (unless I'm on another trip).

-Villain

Welcome back, Nick, you've been missed. :)

Welcome back, Villain, and good luck with your new job!

Welcome back, NL, and please do post more. :)

It's Wanderingblade! Where'd you wandered off to?