I need non satanic/gore death metal!

grx20z

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2006
Alright, well, I've been into Opeth for a few years and I've grown accustom to the death vocals. I'd like to start checking out some more death. I like stuff like Malevolent Creation that's more rhythmic, but the main thing is just no satanism or extreme gore. I'm not super religious, but I can do without all of the Christ bashing. Please help guys, I dig what I've heard from Kataklysm too, and newer Hypocrisy. I also read good things about Path of Possesion but saw "Bring Me the Head of Christ" and it turned me off.

-Cody.

VOMITORIAL CORPULENCE is a Christian grindcore band. They are gory in the name of God...

And they use a quote from Braindead too!

Hmm... most death metal bands do themes that would involve goriness/satanism, it's the main reason why it's called DEATH METAL. So IMO, you're SOL. I can't think of any band other than probably Edge Of Sanity. I think they have a number of songs that could have these themes, but they might have some that aren't. Someone clarify this!

Crimson and Crimson II are pretty safe Edge of Sanity records to listen to. They're both more concept/story albums than anything. Purgatory Afterglow is a great Edge of Sanity record too but you might have some problems with the track "The Sinner & The Sadness".

A lot of melodic death metal is pretty safe too, bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, etc. I don't really have any pure death metal recommendations because I don't really listen to much of that myself and the bands that I do listen to pretty much deal with those issues, because yes, that's... kind of what death metal is all about.

Oh. Later era Death (Symbolic or The Sound of Perseverance) is also pretty safe (mostly philosophical and not so much religion/gore).

Ok, I guess I wanna clarify, but first, thank you for those ideas, I'll def. check them out. Ok, I don't mind so much anti-religion, but the stuff that I'm not crazy about is the, fuck jesus, I'll laugh while you get raped and I'll vomit on the cross, you know? Alright, so, I like stuff with themes, or concept albums, like, idk, Hypocrisy's alien theme. Maybe that helps, but I'm not a big fan of melodic metal for the most part.

-Cody.

There aren't that many satanic death metal bands. I don't see why these themes would bother you since lyrics are inaudible almost all the time.

Anyway, here are some more lyrically conservative bands:
Arsis
later Death
Lykathea Aflame
Nile
Atheist
Cynic

I don't need satan or god in any of my music. I was very disappointed when I read the lyrics to The Grand Conjuration and heard the word satan. I felt it sort of alienated me somewhat seeing how none of their previous albums had satan in them.

Sever!

Phaggot said:
I hate Christian metal. It's so sugar-coated and queer. Rejoice for Satanic metal! *celebrates with creamed cheese and chicken fat* :D

VOMITORIAL CORPULENCE certainly aren't sugar coated... so amazingly funny! :tickled:

some guy who doesn't like christian metal said:
I hate Christian metal. It's so sugar-coated and queer. Rejoice for Satanic metal! *celebrates with creamed cheese and chicken fat* :D

:bah: you've been sucked into the vortex! Not hail satan, hail SANTA, as he is the ruler of all that is metal and awesomeness!

Try Carcass. They were the first grindcore band. I don't think there's anything satanic or gorey in their lyrics, because honestly I haven't paid much attentin.

LadyValerie said:
Try Carcass. They were the first grindcore band. I don't think there's anything satanic or gorey in their lyrics, because honestly I haven't paid much attentin.

"Hepatic Tissue Fermentation"
"Crepitating Bowel Erosion"
"Pedigree Butchery"
"Exhume to Consume"
"Fermenting Innards"
"Cadaveric Incubator of Endoparasites"

How much Carcass have you actually listened to? o_O

I think she was being sarcastic, I mean the name Carcass is a slight hint at their material as well!

Amon Amarth - Once Sent from a Golden Hall
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Psycroptic - Sceptre of the Ancients
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
The Chasm - The Spell of Retribution
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes (it is a little less dark / evil than The Karelian Isthmus).

none of the above are at all pro-Christian, but the listed albums aren't specifically anti-christian. So they should do. Also, truthfully, there is no reason to limit yourself to non-anti-christian bands. You don't have to support their views, but you can hear them and accept them as differing opinions to your own. Plus, it means you miss out on some of the best albums ever written, for really no reason whatsoever.

steel102 said:
"Hepatic Tissue Fermentation"
"Crepitating Bowel Erosion"
"Pedigree Butchery"
"Exhume to Consume"
"Fermenting Innards"
"Cadaveric Incubator of Endoparasites"

How much Carcass have you actually listened to? o_O

I have a burned cd of theirs, so I didn't know the song titles.

necrophagist owns all! although if you dont want gore then stay away from their first album (Onset of Putrifecation), the second (Epitaph) will suit you fine

Just get Onset of Putrefaction for Necrophagist. Even Epitaph is a bit watered down compared to it. The lyrics aren't that offensive.

Also, Cannibal Corpse have some pretty offensive lyrics, to say the least, but they aren't overly anti-Christian, and their badass sound makes up for the lyrics, haha.