I think I found whats wrong with watershed

Most chords are unrecognizable when you play them with a distorted guitar. And I don't hear a lot of augmented chords in WS. And yeah, of course augmented chords are everything but creepy by themselves but when put in some sort of chord progression, every chord can sound like something it doesn't by itself.

Plus, I don't get how someone can label WS as a "happy" album. I would say, there is not one single song there that sounds happy, I think every song sounds dark and pessimistic. Mikael himself said that for some reason even the major chords sounded dark in this album and I definitely agree.

I do agree that GR has that "happy" feeling in it with the prominent and happy keyboarding and all, but WS definitely doesn't have that.

Anyone noticed that Per hardly sings on WS...a waste of talent imho...if they have a voice like his they should use it.

From most reviews I gathered that a general feeling is that Watershed is a brilliant, amazing album, but doesn't give the same kind of goosebumps people had with previous albums (specifically Blackwater Park and Still Life mostly quoted). This is pretty much according to what I already wrote a couple of times about the development of Opeth and about Watershed ...

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Watershed ... it is brilliant on its own, and it also provides an interesting perspective on the future, which nobody can predict I guess. They surprised everyone with every album, but every time people were able to formulate ideas about what is to come (even though they were often wrong, hence the surprise every time), but I think now it is pretty much totally unpredictable what is to come next.

But I must say, brilliant as Watershed is, and even though I play it several times daily, it is lacking a certain amount of catchiness that other albums had (maybe this is related to my above statement). Not per se a bad thing, just very different ... reasons for it might be the higher degree of complexity that Opeth is aiming for, but also less emphasis on melodic aspects of the music (read the interviews before the album came out about the influence of Scott Walker).

Just some random thoughts ...

my thoughts exactly...a very different and interesting album that has made me see opeth in a new light. but the album doesnt give me goosebumps like BWP or SL did. but thats fine with me. i was 18 back then, now im 25

I think watershed is a most fantastic piece of work. What a great F------ album!!! The growth of the songwriting is continuing from disc to disc. No one is making music this great right now. The portrayal of feelings is spot on.

I do agree that GR has that "happy" feeling in it with the prominent and happy keyboarding and all, but WS definitely doesn't have that.

I think that Watershed, when compared with Ghost Reveries, is a somewhat cheerful album. Ghost Reveries has very dark lyrical themes and the open tunings on some of the songs allowed for more unconventional sounding chords and a generally more evil feel whereas Watershed (Heir Apparent excluded) sounds (slightly) more upbeat. Ghost Reveries doesn't give me goosebumps like Blackwater Park, but it's still quite atmospheric and evil sounding.

I still think GR is the happiest sounding of any of Opeth's records. The end of GoP, "I hear the baying of the HOUNDS!", "I sacrificed more than i had and left my woes beneath the mire", Atonement.

I try not to think about Atonement too much, but I'll pay the other three. I still think that overall Ghost Reveries is pretty dark, but that could just be my skewed opinion.

it just sounds very odd, not bad, just odd

my least favourite GR track i think is gop, although there are parts i like i feel that some of the riffs are just 'rambling' you know? also, some of the more rhythm based riffs seem to go on a bit long. i did like the octave/fifth shuffling riff though, thought that sounded like typical opeth ownage

I love Ghost of Perdition, hence the user name. I guess I don't like Atonement much cause it sounds like a failed musical experiment. And while it's nice and still fairly good to listen to, it pales in comaprison to the rest of Ghost Reveries and Opeth in general.

I think Ghost Reveries is a decent album, but I don't think it compares to the mystery, darkness, and maturity that is Watershed. When I hear the quiet desolation of the soft parts of The Lotus Eater or Porcelain Heart (the latter of which I admittedly don't care for as much as the other songs) I hear a sadness not present on Ghost Reveries, and when I listen to Heir Apparent or the endings of The Lotus Eater or Hessian Peel I hear a FILTHINESS not present on Ghost Reveries. The 'happy' parts do sound more blatantly happy than anything on Ghost Reveries, but the way that relative happiness is dashed by what follows...

Watershed Is Brilliant, Coil is beautiful, Heir Apparant is Fucking Heavy just like the Lotus Eater, Burden is awesome like porcelain heart and the amazing Hessian Peel and My fave track Hex omega.

Yes the are only three tracks with death metal vocals on, but, its still opeth, i think of it as another damnation album only heavier.

OPETH RULE!!!

Actually, Watershed is Opeth's most "ballsy" recording to date. The level of guts/balls it took to take the chances they did with it and not just take the easy road by rehashing BWP or MAYH simply to appease "teh br00talz" fanboys is sorely underestimated around here.

Stepping outside of the box, not being afraid to grow and progress, knowing all the while that a large number of their fans refuse to do either, takes a set as big as all outdoors in my book. I actually feel kinda sorry for people who don't/can't/won't get the huge jump in musical sophistication and maturity the band took on Watershed, particularly when it would've been sooooo much safer and easier just to regurgitate a previously successful formula.

Still, some people are just more comfortable in their narrow little sphere, I suppose, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how myopic, so... by all means, do carry on!

I never saw WS as a "happy" album at all.
I think GR is much "happier" compared to most of the songs on WS, and the happy parts in some of the tracks on WS are just short and when you hear the albums you can definitely see that GR is happier IMO.
BUT I still see WS as jumpy and GR as more of a massive masterpiece and also a bit heavier, which I also appreciate more, but both GR and WS are in my 4 Opeth top albums, I guess...
All I'm trying ta say is that I think GR is happier than WS even though it is heavier and more of a solid record, and WS is a bit jumpy IMO - it has very heavy parts and very happy parts and some lighter parts as well.
:Smokin:

Actually, Watershed is Opeth's most "ballsy" recording to date. The level of guts/balls it took to take the chances they did with it and not just take the easy road by rehashing BWP or MAYH simply to appease "teh br00talz" fanboys is sorely underestimated around here.

Stepping outside of the box, not being afraid to grow and progress, knowing all the while that a large number of their fans refuse to do either, takes a set as big as all outdoors in my book. I actually feel kinda sorry for people who don't/can't/won't get the huge jump in musical sophistication and maturity the band took on Watershed, particularly when it would've been sooooo much safer and easier just to regurgitate a previously successful formula.

Still, some people are just more comfortable in their narrow little sphere, I suppose, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how myopic, so... by all means, do carry on!

Excellent post.