I think I found whats wrong with watershed

Heir Apparent is real heavy, no doubt about that but the rest of the album isn't (with the exeption of the second half of Hessian Peel and parts of The Lotus Eater). So one song doesn't make an entire album sound heavy/brutal and that's what the album lacks IMO.

Would you say there was something wrong with Damnation because it lacked heaviness or brutality?

Would you say there was something wrong with Damnation because it lacked heaviness or brutality?

damnation is an all mellow album and should be judged in light of that

watershed is a regular opeth album, and as such, a lot of people want kickass heavy metal

watershed is a regular opeth album, and as such, a lot of people want kickass heavy metal

I think "regular opeth album" is not a statement that can be used, without some sort of backlash. If i understand Opeth then i would say that there is no standard Opeth album, each album is starkly different than the previous.

As far as im concerned Watershed is a well rounded album with enough new and exciting phases to keep it out of the normal, and shoudnt be strickened to grief because its not heavy enough.

the only thing i meant by "regular" is that it has both heavy metal and mellow parts. obviously each album is different but they all have a common ground (except damnation) which is exactly what i meant when i said "regular".

Alright, I can get that argument. But Watershed is as much a deviation from the "norm" as Damnation was. D2 contains a continuation of many of the soft-proggy songs explored earlier, like in Blackwater Park and the Still Day LP. But Watershed isn't a "regular" Opeth album - in fact, it blurs the lines of definition that the band set with earlier records. Oboes, man. Oboes.

lol, terrible opinion

Whats wrong with my opinion?!

I honestly think it is thier best. I have all Opeths records apart from Orchid so maybe its not a fully fledged one but its still my opinion and i love Watershed loads! :headbang: