I think Opeth has steadily declined since Still Life.

On the contrary, Still Life was a turning point for Opeth. I think the band have only gotten better since then, despite the fact that my favorite album is MAYH.

Various factors like Steven Wilson producing three albums and the addition of Per have really evolved Opeth for the better.

Yeah, Opeth has become a lot better in almost every way since Still Life. In terms of songwriting and playing, Opeth has never been as solid as today.

I would hate to make a comparison between Opeth and another band, especially since many people on this forum may dislike the band...but stay with me and maybe someone can relate to my post.

I often compare the growth of Opeth with the growth of Tool. The main difference being that Opeth have released more material and the difference between each album is less noticeable. ANYWAY, when 10,000 Days came out many of you seemed to hate/dislike/not enjoy it as much as Lateralus. This is understandable. It relates to Watershed in this way: Both bands released albums that were considered very musically accomplished by their fans...ESPECIALLY in the category of musical atmosphere and mood. Then an album comes out (10,000 Days/Watershed) that isn't cohesive. It doesnt flow. There is no specific musical concept. Sure there may be similarities, but its a very diverse album. Both Watershed and 10,000 Days seemed to reflect the respective bands' song writing abilities. Many of the songs on both albums alienated long time fans purely because they didn't "progress" the bands sound. This progression may or may not be there. Many songs on Watershed/10,000 Days were much driven by the song writing and not necessarily creativity and technical skill. Either way, one can't deny that both albums have a specific texture to them that adds at least a bit of atmosphere.

I'd also like to make this comparison.

Raw, unrefined, very to the point, and not much differentiation from other bands in the genre = Orchid, Morningrise, Opiate, Undertow

Ability to expand sound while still staying within the context of previous works, better production, more experimentation = MAYH, Still Life, BWP, Aenima

Bigger leap into a new, more polished, experimental sound = Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, Lateralus

A bit of everything = Watershed, 10,000 Days

And for the record, is there really only a handful of us that switch between favorite Opeth albums? Listening to one album all the time sounds fucking horrible. There needs to be variety/diversity depending on one's mood. Congrats to Opeth for making it possible to listen to them in all kinds of situations.

Anybody that tries to alter a bands works through ignorant comments is wasting their time, and if people want a certain style start your own band and tell me how easy it is to write a worthy album.

I would hate to make a comparison between Opeth and another band, especially since many people on this forum may dislike the band...but stay with me and maybe someone can relate to my post.

I often compare the growth of Opeth with the growth of Tool. The main difference being that Opeth have released more material and the difference between each album is less noticeable. ANYWAY, when 10,000 Days came out many of you seemed to hate/dislike/not enjoy it as much as Lateralus. This is understandable. It relates to Watershed in this way: Both bands released albums that were considered very musically accomplished by their fans...ESPECIALLY in the category of musical atmosphere and mood. Then an album comes out (10,000 Days/Watershed) that isn't cohesive. It doesnt flow. There is no specific musical concept. Sure there may be similarities, but its a very diverse album. Both Watershed and 10,000 Days seemed to reflect the respective bands' song writing abilities. Many of the songs on both albums alienated long time fans purely because they didn't "progress" the bands sound. This progression may or may not be there. Many songs on Watershed/10,000 Days were much driven by the song writing and not necessarily creativity and technical skill. Either way, one can't deny that both albums have a specific texture to them that adds at least a bit of atmosphere.

I'd also like to make this comparison.

Raw, unrefined, very to the point, and not much differentiation from other bands in the genre = Orchid, Morningrise, Opiate, Undertow

Ability to expand sound while still staying within the context of previous works, better production, more experimentation = MAYH, Still Life, BWP, Aenima

Bigger leap into a new, more polished, experimental sound = Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, Lateralus

A bit of everything = Watershed, 10,000 Days

Pretty good comparison, Lateralus and Ghost Reveries have a constant atmosphere and theme whereas 10,000 Days and Watershed are sort of compilations of the bands' respective styles - they both have less flow because of all the musical styles involved.

I should have guessed Lateralus and Ghost Reveries were linked, they're my two favorite albums :)

Edit: but a big difference, even though the songwriting was less refined in both categories, early Tool rapes early Opeth in terms of production quality.

This is true, but only because Tool was signed after only a handful of shows, and it took them what...one full length recording to start playing to on average 20,000 people. Add the fact that this was Los Angeles in the 90s.