If Mort Divine ruled the world

Not talking about minorities, it's undeniable that the poor of the inner cities face more social challenges than those of wealthier backgrounds. I'm not sure what your point is about the country comparison. I can't imagine a scenario where the poor are financially able to only have 1 parent working unless there's some sort of state subsidization for homeschooling. Especially since unemployment is also higher in those demograhpics, I believe.

I don't know of any homeschooling subsidies, but if your income is below a certain threshold, whether with 1 or 2 incomes, there are forms of welfare.

The article cites that non-licensed parents do better at educating than licensed educator parents. This seems to be challenging the entire notion of higher education.

The article acknowledges that there is not consistent method to home schooling. Every parent can and probably does structure their own teaching environment very differently. How can a data set be accurately depicted without consistent factors? By stating this, the study cannot accurately suggest what the public schooling system is doing wrong and what the home schooling system is doing right.

If it is true that test scores are better for children of unlicensed parents(my parents weren't licensed, and had kind of bullshit degrees from a bullshit college - my dad does have an MBA now for whatever that's worth), it may have something to do with licensed parents trying "bring the classroom to the home" methods rather than working more organically with the child.

Studies that merely look at general factors like test scores and demographics can't provide cause and effect answers, but it does provide evidence towards homeschooling being superior in some way. The consistent factors are funds spent and the tests being taken. Since one of the first and finally falling objections to homeschooling was that "kids won't get a good education", combating this has been the primary focus of related research. Next is probably going to be combating social integration arguments (a much harder thing to assess). Only after it's generally agreed upon that homeschooling is superior to at least public offerings would we begin to research as to why, but again, I think the answers aren't going to be revolutionary. Personalized instruction by someone who (should) cares more than anyone else about the kid vs a class of 30 screaming kids and a worn out instructor.

"Time per day in learning activities" & "Full-service curriculum that services a year's worth of textbooks" -- Not even sure how the second point differs from public schooling. Counseling? How often should a teacher do this to correlate with success? Unknown.

Everyone does things differently. We didn't have the money for full service curriculum, and used a hodge podge of mostly used textbooks from homeschooling families with children older than my siblings and I. I knew some families had a designated "school room" (those with the money to have a house large enough), and tried to make things more structured, where I just took my assignment sheet and stack of books to my room or the couch and usually took ~4 hours a day to complete them all.

Figure 6 doesnt' seem to accurately account for the "wage" that a parent would earn if they were a teacher, so the 600$ thing I imagine is for textbooks only? Why 600$ anyways?

Yeah $600 on school supplies. Like I said, I couldn't locate the original study easily last night to look at the methodology, so I don't know where that number came from. But I'm pretty sure that's higher than what my parents ever spent in a given year on books, especially since most of what they purchased for me was recycled for the other kids.

I don't remember it exactly, but i'm pretty sure you referenced an article that discredited the "social" education public schooling offers, since I believe that is a common counter-argument to home schooling. I forget the details so I guess that's all I got :loco:

It's ringing a bell. Maybe I can turn it up again. The "social" argument has some legitimacy, if your concern is not how well adjusted a child will be as an adult in terms of being a net contributor, but instead will they know the media-ite jargon of their peers. I took some amount of shit as a kid for not being into Power Rangers. Woe is me.

All in all, I do not know what the standard length of a learning day/week is for home schooling nor do they teach to a standardized test upon "graduating" or what. I believe all home schooled students have to take a "HS graduation" test to ensure they are ready for university, right? That's all I can think of that is standardized on that level.

One of the benefits of a full service curriculum (usually from a Christian college publisher) is that they provide HS Diplomas. Otherwise, you have to get a GED. Some parents homeschool up to HS and then send their kids to HS so they don't have to go with a GED. I have a GED, my next youngest brother has a HS D, and the rest of my siblings will probably all have GEDs. Due to some weird paperwork issues, I have a sister in CC right now who doesn't technically have her GED yet. They've been very helpful with her.

NC requires standardized testing (usually CAT) through middle school iirc. After that, it's on the parents/child. I took the ACT at some point, but it was never a factor in anything, possibly because my parents divorced right when it was about time for me to start college.

I tend to agree that homeschooling probably won't fix things; it's a problem of broken families and worthless parents. Trying to get the bottom quintile of the population to teach their children effectively is not going to happen; many are not even capable of teaching their children good behavior.

Well I would agree. The problem is that for anyone to try and teach the bottom quintile is going to be a quixotic quest, and complaints about racism or not enough gimmedats are just examples of strawgrasping/blameshifting. It is, strictly speaking, not a money problem.

Sort of relevant to this thread:

Values vs Truths

Different values, then, are simply a manifestation of the spectrum of human differences, of their different styles and interests. I prefer traditional Western values, but I think it is an unwarranted generalization — and a dangerous conceit — to imagine that they are universal. (They aren’t even universal any more over here, it seems.) They are simply the way that my people, my civilization, expresses itself and pursues its interests.

I should emphasize in the strongest possible terms that this is no brief for relativism, or multiculturalism: if values are not universal, and there is no absolute criterion by which to rank them (as the choice of such a criterion is itself a matter of valuations that will vary from population to population), then there is no reason that I should not choose the survival and well-being of my own civilization, on its own terms, to be among my highest values — and no reason I shouldn’t keep its values as my own, to cherish, preserve, and defend.

Yeah, apparently she is one of those conservative-esque women on YouTube now. Like Hoff Summers and whoever else, interesting. Apparently real time transformation too, from filming this project.

Yeah, her interview with Sargon_of_Akkad really made me respect her, the more and more I go down the non/anti-feminist path the more I discover feminists I really respect.

I'm really looking forward to this documentary.

The feminist reaction to the film apparently forced to her to go to kickstarter. She claims that feminist groups only wanted to give her money if the documentary was in their interest

The feminist reaction to the film apparently forced to her to go to kickstarter. She claims that feminist groups only wanted to give her money if the documentary was in their interest

Yeah, I thought that made her question the feminist movement.

Funnily enough it was a Breitbart article that spurred massive attention which lead to the donations that is now over double the original asking amount.

Nobody demanded the film be biased to one side or agenda other than the feminists, not a good look.

Though not that they'd care, they seem to revel in their blatant biases.

This may come across as random, but I don't really like macho culture as such. It's always completely paradoxical. You're the real man because you're to simple to understand how the world works. Ok then... Since when anyway? Bows and arrows have existed for a long time, whoever came up with them was the equivalent of the smart people you despise, so die, you've lost. I think I can see why people would dislike those who kind of intellectualize out of their own weak position, but eh, whoever thinks that, at any given moment, is basically leeching off of a society full of people more altruistic than them, that only exists because of the average person being the way they are.

Tl;dr I really don't like bad people.