If Mort Divine ruled the world

You do realize that my intention of using that was out of sarcasm. I don't think it's an actual thing, it is not even a word.

So what you're saying is, I'm the overly literal asshole here? Fuck.

For the record, I'm well aware there's some hypocritical views (like in any other thing) in some strands of "feminism," but like anything you don't have to place so much worth in valuing the term. Feminism is either pretty precise in describing you or not. What people who call themselves the term decide to do, is not always representative of the idea nor are they always like minded to others who do. Feminism to me is that women and men are equally deserving of opportunity and recognition. Maybe the term "feminism" confuses some people, but that's really all it is. And on that basis, I don't see how that's something so repulsive.

Well that's what feminism means to you, that's fine. Personal interpretations are meaningless when the thing you're personally interpreting does things and says things on a grand scale and is supported by majority of self-labelling feminists.
Feminism has many core beliefs and even if people like yourself don't believe them, the majority does and they attempt to create laws based on these core beliefs, like the patriarchy, rape culture, gender wage gap, 1 in 4 rape statistics and plenty of other unsubstantiated beliefs.

If feminism to you is that women deserve equal opportunity and recognition, you already have it, so feminism is no longer needed and hasn't been needed for years now in your eyes?

This alone could be it's own very large debate.

I'm sure this would apply to mothers as well so that makes this kind of irrelevant, even though that would be way less common. More importantly, however, researching this every state's paternity laws are different. The vast majority, however, are moving towards less strict rules than the ones you posted. And with this the main issue in some states is denouncing fatherhood if you were married to your partner and "assumed the role of the father" but it can be done if that's the main reason for a divorce (unfaithfulness).

Moving towards is not the same as already there.

Looking at statistics alone about 62% of custodial mothers do not receive child support. Therefore, this does not represent most cases, and the reason why I stated most women aren't trying to deceit men into having children was from your comment about, "if we assume that most women are happy to get pregnant by a man entirely due to the fact that she'll have him paying for the next 18 years you're a horrible sexist." By that it seemed like you were making a generalization.

I can't find where I said that but I remember saying it and I'm pretty sure I said it as a way to show the hypocrisy of people in here making sexist generalisations about fathers and getting no push back, but if I say sexist generalisations about mothers I will get push back. And you just proved my point.

Also, I think your overall argument about the court system favoring women is biased and forgetting the most important part in the equation. In retrospect, the child is who gets the priority and is received the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of situations. The only thing current laws care about is that the children receives proper financial support.

So why are children consistently given to the parent with no stable income? I've been through the family court system so I have some experience and perhaps some bias, but the overwhelming lived experiences we have documented on behalf of men and fathers is pretty cut and dry here. Research the Tender Years Doctrine which is a legal principle that the west has used as it's foundation in custody laws for a long time now. Keep in mind this was a women's movement achievement.

By you calling that money the mother's "meal ticket" is pretty ridiculous. That's not "do whatever the mother wants money."

If you say so.

People that conflate equality of opportunity with equality of outcome probably daydream about sniffing Stalin's ballsack.

If we are being honest, even equality of opportunity is unreachable. But we can at least get in the ballpark without doing irreperable damage to civilization.

Reactions: CiG
So what you're saying is, I'm the overly literal asshole here? Fuck.

Well that's what feminism means to you, that's fine. Personal interpretations are meaningless when the thing you're personally interpreting does things and says things on a grand scale and is supported by majority of self-labelling feminists.
Feminism has many core beliefs and even if people like yourself don't believe them, the majority does and they attempt to create laws based on these core beliefs, like the patriarchy, rape culture, gender wage gap, 1 in 4 rape statistics and plenty of other unsubstantiated beliefs.

If feminism to you is that women deserve equal opportunity and recognition, you already have it, so feminism is no longer needed and hasn't been needed for years now in your eyes?

This alone could be it's own very large debate.

I was saying that feminism at its core is equal opportunities and recognition for both genders. That's basically what feminism is. There are plenty of different strands of feminism, many that I am unfamiliar with, but there is really no one 'stereotype' that feminists can fit into. I suppose you can compare it to religion in the sense that though many people who believe in a religion can interpret it many different ways. What I'm confused about is how feminism at its core (which honestly can just be considered gender equality if it's the term that's throwing people off) gets lumped into all this extra shit. I remember reading some bullshit article a self-proclaimed feminist wrote about how when men objectify women it's wrong but if women objectify men it's "just fun." I realize stuff like that exists, but that really has nothing to with feminism nor does that define it.

Feminism is really a civil rights issue, and honestly like you said if we can acknowledge some shit that is disproportionate in terms of race, why can't we acknowledge it in terms of gender as well? I know people here are swift to acknowledge any thing that doesn't work in their favor but fail to see things that actually do and maybe in turn doesn't work in someone else's favor because they don't have those qualities. Moreover, these same people don't want to admit when other people get shorthanded. There's some things that can absolutely be made more equal. Yes, I know I have to be careful with this word "equality" because it is a "a state of being" word and before this becomes a semantics shit show, I'll explain more in depth what I mean. Equality is not always about treating everyone the same. I agree. But it is about treating people in such a way that the outcome for each person can be the same. This means putting things in place to support people to achieve similar outcomes. Whether you like to acknowledge it or not there are cultural implications to gender, and therefore biases. People evidently in most cases actually live up to these biaes more often than not. And yes, I see there's some biases for men too that are unfair but i think it's ridiculous that people only see what effects them. It's not a competition on who gets screwed over the most, but on a whole it does seem like men are valued more because of these biases that has existed.... idk like forever. So, in short, yes feminism should exist to help get rid of some of these biases. Things like Affirmative Action actually has helped more women than people of color, and I support that. If you want to call it gender equality, you can call it that too.

Do I think men who were cheated on in a marriage but end up having to pay child support to a child that's not biological theirs is right because they missed their window of opportunity to denounce fatherhood on the grounds of adultery? Absolutely not. Technically speaking, that really doesn't have anything to do with feminism and one could argue it's actually sort of the opposite.

I can't find where I said that but I remember saying it and I'm pretty sure I said it as a way to show the hypocrisy of people in here making sexist generalisations about fathers and getting no push back, but if I say sexist generalisations about mothers I will get push back. And you just proved my point.
I didn't see any sexist generalizations about fathers, but this is UMF someone would've pushed back if one was made. Honestly, I just said something because I felt the whole "evil cheating brain-washing mother" stigma going on was a bit much.

So why are children consistently given to the parent with no stable income? I've been through the family court system so I have some experience and perhaps some bias, but the overwhelming lived experiences we have documented on behalf of men and fathers is pretty cut and dry here. Research the Tender Years Doctrine which is a legal principle that the west has used as it's foundation in custody laws for a long time now. Keep in mind this was a women's movement achievement.
I don't think they look for the less stable parent, that wouldn't be very smart. I'm not big on the logical fallacy terms, but this shouldn't be turned into a flagpole issue as though if this one thing is true then the whole thing is a sham. I looked up the Tender Years Doctrine, and okay the court system does favor mother's more in custody cases. However, I don't see why keep using family courts as the sticking point for why feminism is evil.

Edit: looked it up. Fallacy of composition- assuming that something true of part of a whole must also be true of the whole. I.E. Family courts favor women (feminism) thus all feminism is wrong.

I guess one last point. Though there may be some undue bias towards mothers that really doesn't prove anything in regards to feminism or whatever. It's more so a flaw in the court system (and in turn the country's backwards adherence to family values), and really not connected to feminism. I think this was Omni's point from before, but that cant really be blamed on feminism or people favoring women all the time (or whatever it's called these days) especially when the power structure that enables it is mostly male dominated.

First off, I would never say feminism is evil.
I think it's wrong, fundamentally, as it views the world through a Marxist lens (women are the proletariat, men are the bourgeoisie) and bases most if not all of it's assumptions on the concept of social constructivism.
So for me it's simply a matter of disagreement.

Secondly, all of those "extra" things definitely have everything to do with feminism.
This is what is taught to students studying this stuff. This is what feminist professors print.
Of course if you simply define feminism as a bland form of equality, it's easy to disown everything feminism does that you disagree with. I think that's a dishonest tactic myself. If you want to talk about fallacies, that's a cut and dry "no true Scotsman" fallacy.
People like Erin Pizzey left feminism back in the 60's because when she went to meetings there were portraits of Chairman Mao hanging on their walls and the content of the discussions were so anti-male and obsessed with destroying marriage and convincing women they were oppressed even by their own male loved ones, she said she had to leave.
It's no surprise to me that feminism still holds these sorts of views to this day.

Now, I feel as if you're just an instinctual feminist (non-ideological type of feminist that equates feminism with strong female family members) and that you're not neck-deep in the movement today. Majority of feminists fit right into the picture I'm painting and you can't escape this if your eyes are open to it.

Name some things that still need to be made equal if you don't mind, because at this point all feminism seeks to make equal is perceived inequalities within cultural and social assumptions, stereotypes etc and this amounts to micro-management of individuals. That's not something you can legislate for. Though feminists lobby to have certain slurs cause for massive fines.

Equality is not always about treating everyone the same. I agree. But it is about treating people in such a way that the outcome for each person can be the same. This means putting things in place to support people to achieve similar outcomes.

Equality in my view is the striving for equality of opportunity. Not equality of outcome. How would you even achieve such a utopian dream?

And yes, I see there's some biases for men too that are unfair but I think it's ridiculous that people only see what effects them.

Do you mean people in here only see what effects men? Because if you're talking about people in general then I have no idea what reality you're living, I honestly don't, nobody sees or cares for the most part what effects men. I could cite a ton of examples but this should really be self-evident. If I namedrop even one issue men face I'll be accused of being a sexist MRA and laughed into silence, haha.

It's not a competition on who gets screwed over the most, but on a whole it does seem like men are valued more because of these biases that has existed

It became a competition once feminism started throwing men under the bus. I personally am fine with the areas of society that men have it worse, it only becomes a problem when people start spewing bullshit about men oppressing women and men's lives being akin to "life on the easiest difficulty" which is a feminist quote. When people start slapping you in the face constantly with male privilege bullshit you have to slap back with examples of how it's not that easy. You can't blame the pissing contest on the person that only joined in to avoid getting pissed on.

As to men being more valued, I would direct you to Male Disposability Theory. If men are more valued, why is it the assumed role of a man to die in order to protect a woman? This is a gender role feminists conveniently seem to forget about. The fact is and evolution backs this up, societies that don't value women above men tend to either vanish or become horrible places to live. One womb is worth more than one penis in evolutionary terms.

Anyway, how exactly has affirmative action helped women? That's an interesting claim.

I didn't see any sexist generalizations about fathers, but this is UMF someone would've pushed back if one was made.

It was Matt, he said men are terrible and fathers won't pay child support. That's a sexist generalisation that only I pushed back against.

I don't think they look for the less stable parent, that wouldn't be very smart. I'm not big on the logical fallacy terms, but this shouldn't be turned into a flagpole issue as though if this one thing is true then the whole thing is a sham. I looked up the Tender Years Doctrine, and okay the court system does favor mother's more in custody cases. However, I don't see why keep using family courts as the sticking point for why feminism is evil.

So explain why there are more unemployed mothers with custody than there are employed fathers. Yes, fathers abandon families often enough but I don't think that's the explanation.

The reason I used the Tender Years Doctrine as an argument against feminism and it's influence in the family court is because that doctrine was specifically a women's movement victory. It's quite literally a feminist legacy.

I guess one last point. Though there may be some undue bias towards mothers that really doesn't prove anything in regards to feminism or whatever. It's more so a flaw in the court system (and in turn the country's backwards adherence to family values), and really not connected to feminism. I think this was Omni's point from before, but that cant really be blamed on feminism or people favoring women all the time (or whatever it's called these days) especially when the power structure that enables it is mostly male dominated.

The irony of Omni's comment is that it totally defats the idea that men are more valuable to society than women. Patriarchy theory implies that each gender looks out for itself and oppresses the other for it's own benefit. So explain why a male dominated power structure consistently favours women and women's issues and won't even hear for a second pleas for male shelter funding, ending male genital mutilation, etc.

Again, the Tender Years Doctrine is a feminist creation, firmly embedded in the family court system so you can't explain it away like you just tried to do.

The irony of Omni's comment is that it totally defats the idea that men are more valuable to society than women. Patriarchy theory implies that each gender looks out for itself and oppresses the other for it's own benefit. So explain why a male dominated power structure consistently favours women and women's issues and won't even hear for a second pleas for male shelter funding, ending male genital mutilation, etc.
But patriarchy isn't really about apparent oppression only. It's also a system about how genders fit into certain roles that are uphold and sets the agenda. This goes both ways, as you said women are protected first, men are more desposable, women are considered better caretakers etc. But this also dictates that women must be protected because they aren't capable of doing anything themselves.
Because of this alot of things women do are seen as less than what men do which spills over in for example status, income (not for the same work, but typical women-jobs like nurses generally has a low income compared to typical men-jobs of comparable difficulty/education, atleast here in Sweden). This together with the indoctrination of gender roles early on in peoples lives pushes women and men to uphold those structures and the cycle continues.
I don't think men as individuals are willingly upholding this and I hate arguments like "men do this" and "men are evil because" etc. On an individual level I think we are pretty equal and alot of men also gets the bad end of the stick but looking at the whole society alot of tendencies are seen, like the above about valuating work, which gender sits for the most part on ruling positions in governments and companies. Which gender is mostly on the richest people in the world list, in sports which gender gets the most funding (not only on a professional level, but on all levels from children and upwards, which is the first step to cementing men as the a-team and women as the b-team, even in sports were physical strength isn't a factor), etc, etc.

Ofcourse because of all the work of feminists the last 100 years or so alot of this has been eliminated or marginalized but I think it is short sighted to just stop and think "we are done". Just because alot has been done doesn't mean it is all good. Especially If you look at the whole world and not just the western part.

But patriarchy isn't really about apparent oppression only. It's also a system about how genders fit into certain roles that are uphold and sets the agenda. This goes both ways, as you said women are protected first, men are more desposable, women are considered better caretakers etc. But this also dictates that women must be protected because they aren't capable of doing anything themselves.
Because of this alot of things women do are seen as less than what men do which spills over in for example status, income (not for the same work, but typical women-jobs like nurses generally has a low income compared to typical men-jobs of comparable difficulty/education, atleast here in Sweden). This together with the indoctrination of gender roles early on in peoples lives pushes women and men to uphold those structures and the cycle continues.
I don't think men as individuals are willingly upholding this and I hate arguments like "men do this" and "men are evil because" etc. On an individual level I think we are pretty equal and alot of men also gets the bad end of the stick but looking at the whole society alot of tendencies are seen, like the above about valuating work, which gender sits for the most part on ruling positions in governments and companies. Which gender is mostly on the richest people in the world list, in sports which gender gets the most funding (not only on a professional level, but on all levels from children and upwards, which is the first step to cementing men as the a-team and women as the b-team, even in sports were physical strength isn't a factor), etc, etc.

Ofcourse because of all the work of feminists the last 100 years or so alot of this has been eliminated or marginalized but I think it is short sighted to just stop and think "we are done". Just because alot has been done doesn't mean it is all good. Especially If you look at the whole world and not just the western part.

anigif_enhanced-4258-1411512860-16.gif

But this also dictates that women must be protected because they aren'tcapable of doing anything themselves.

Yeah, the patriarchy dictates muscle mass, testosterone levels, and spatial acuity/skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG